Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stupid Question? Can cats get bird flu?

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Hi, since everyone loves me picking me apart tonite, here's a stupid question U can all have fun with? Twice lately my cat was caught w/ a bird, despite his bell, he was successful. I regularly have him to the vet for all check-ups, de-worming, vaccinations, regular parasite control, and was wondering, if one of these birds was sick, could it make Jerry sick? What about a sick mouse? Is this covered in regular control? Should I worry?:cat:

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Yes you should worry. Vermin and birds carry a number of diseases that could cause illness to your cat.

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Hi Prin, do you know if it's covered in vet shots? or should I take him in and have another work up done? Or what do I test for?

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Not everything is in the shots. That is why everybody here is so adamant about kitties being indoors.

One thing you should definitely test for is worms. Ask your vet what other risks there are. And if you don't trust him, find a new vet.

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Thanx for your knowledge and time! I will take him in again and do that, he hasn't been quite as perky for 2 days, eyes looked tired, I had flu real bad last few days, wonder if they can get that to? O-well I'm going to take him in anyway, he does get regular de-worming as well from vet, but could be a worm not covered, I'd rather be sure..thanx again