Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Random food discoveries...

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Just some random things I saw while buying dog food today...

I just went to get more Evo RM, and the food store I go to (Nutriville in Laval), is getting a whole bunch of new foods (not including TO, of course) and they're also getting different prepackaged raw things soon (getting their freezer next week).

They've got a ton of variety in there though- things I never thought existed. I bought some cat treats that were just too crazy to pass up. They're dried un-salted anchovies wrapped in a chick pea/Salmon cookie batter. :eek: (They're a present for my friend's cat).

They also had Holistic Blends "Side dishes", which are just good veggies, meant to go along with a meaty kibble. Pretty cool idea, but they had menadione in them...:rolleyes:

And then they had the DVP "dog food rolls", which is also a good idea, but the ingredients are sub-par, which is a shame.
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/DFRolls.html

Oh and for techno- they're getting in the rabbit canned food next week (I didn't realize it was that new), and it's $2.29 a can.:eek:

That's the poop.:D Just thought I'd share some of the good ideas out there... Finally the market is coming around and providing more and more variety for our pets.

wdawson
October 28th, 2006, 06:47 PM
prin

what is the name of the cat treats?

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Gulf Island Dog Biscuit company "All natural grain free" Sea Twists.

http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/cats/seatwists.html

I found their website, but most of it is down: http://www.gidbc.ca/retailers.php

technodoll
October 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM
wow thanks for the update, prin! always looking for new and interesting things that don't break the bank... so did you get the big bag of Evo RM, or are you still unsure of what to feed "long-term"? assuming we won't be seeing any distribution of TO here anytime soon... :dog:

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I got the RM. I think I'm dropping the DVP sweet potato and fish and sticking to RM for now (with salmon oil on it).:shrug:

meb999
October 28th, 2006, 08:03 PM
that's one thing I hate about the feed tores around here...they don't have any interesting treats :frustrated: The variety really sucks. Even for toys, there's no variety :rolleyes:

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Come to Laval! :D ;)

Scott_B
October 29th, 2006, 07:19 AM
bought a bag of the northern biscuits and he loves them. Got the HIP+HEALTH Glucosamine/msm/Vit C ones since hes a large breed. Great treats!

As for toys, i need to find a plush that will last. :frustrated: He destroys them so quicky. Yet loves them for the short time he has em.

Heres him playing with a stuffed stingray. That last 3 days :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_E_TOkTVXY

Prin
October 29th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah, my doggies live on Northern biscuits. The wheat free, chicken free lamb and laketrout ones. :thumbs up

SnowDancer
October 29th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Speaking of Dog Treats - OH MY! Eskie turns Cujo! Store started carrying Nature's Recipe "dried" bones - my guy had never had one before - too nervous about them. Note that my pup has no food aggression issues with me - I can stick my hand in his plate as he is eating. Or if he gets something he shouldn't he will plead with his eyes as he keeps his trap tightly shut. So I buy a "puzzle bone" - big enough that he can't swallow it, but not super big. Was told not to let him have it for longer than 30 minutes. Not as greasy as many types and apparently they do not splinter as easily. Well he was all excited - did his usual begging routine, tail wagging. Took the bone and went to our bed - well easier to wash my sheet than the covering of his Double Deluxe Donut "sofa" - and I went with him to give him a tummy rub as he chewed the new bone. Well, he took a few licks - guess there is some sort of seasoning and I saw his eyes change - you would think I had shot him up with crack or something. He started to worn me off by growling in his stomach, then he put his paws over his mouth and put his ears back and put his whole body into the growling effort with his tail doing a rapid wag. So I got his cookie jar - he is so easily bribed - and he let go of the bone to dive bomb into cookie jar for a Northern Biscuit. I grabbed the puzzle bone - and to this credit - he was himself again. He could have grabbed it from me - or worse. So idiot that I am, I waited 15 minutes and tried again - he is a smart Eskie so hoped he would realize I wasn't out to deprive him. Well same story again, only this time wasn't as easy to fool with the cookie jar. I told my husband when he got home and he thought I was exaggerating. So I took the bone down and put it on the mat in the basement. Well husband realized very quickly I was right - Eskie loves me a lot more and for sure husband was never going to get it from him. Nashing teeth and all. So I sent him upstairs to knock on door as I stood there with cookie jar. By now, cookie jar routine was toast so I started tossing cookies - he didn't know what to do. The door knocker was going, there were cookies flying and I was trying to get his bone. His body was really stretched trying to cover the cookie and the bone. Finally he let go for a second and I dive bombed to floor and got the bone. Again to his credit, the second the bone was in my hand, the event was over. Eyes returned to normal and he calmly begged for another cookie as he went to check out the door and my nervous husband. He certainly had opportunity to grab bone back as I was on floor with it. I was aware that some dogs go nuts over such bones - some people give them to their dogs in their crates. My dog doesn't use a crate but all I could think was if he did have it in a crate, how would I ever in this lifetime get it out. I told the groomer where I bought the bone and also the vet staff at front, just in case he should ever be there and they decide to give him one as a treat. Fine - but just have a tranquilizer dart gun at the ready - something that projects from a distance. Now he has the Turkey Breast Jerky that I break up into small piece like cookies so that is fine. I keep finding him staring up at the cupboard where I store it. These bones are really selling well - all sorts of people are buying them - guess my guy just can't handle whatever the coating is. Had a bad moment when I dropped him off a week ago for socialization. Saw the bone piece - "meat" having been stripped bare - on the floor in the middle of several dogs and all I could think of was slaughter on Bayview. But he ignored it thank heavens. So Northern Biscuits, Barkery Salmon Bites and Turkey Jerky it will be.

coppperbelle
October 29th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Sounds like a great store. I wish there was something like it on the south shore.

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 01:31 AM
I just found it by accident... They're listed as a distributor in the yeller pages for some reason, and I was checking out distributors and called them and voila! :D

There should definitely be more stores like this one (and Woofers ;)).

mummummum
October 31st, 2006, 01:20 AM
Holy Hannah Snowdancer ~ I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh but... I can just picture you flinging cookies and ringing doorbells and dive bombing for half-chewed bones.:D

Declan is the same way with raw bones. I can take kibble out of his mouth, pick up his bowl mid-meal but bones? Nuh-uh. Major possessive. I've never heard of Nature's Variety dried bones ~ are they smoked?

Scott_B
October 31st, 2006, 06:08 AM
http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?r=0507154&page=1383&-session=naturesvariety:18DED035192c20C618qphNBDECE E

:thumbs up

SnowDancer
October 31st, 2006, 01:09 PM
mummummum - and Scott B - Thanks for posting link. I checked and there they are - under the Slow Roasted category - I called it the "puzzle" bone - well his reaction was a major Puzzle to me. He had the "Bone and Pizzle"! If you click on slow roasted you will see a display - my dog's groomer has exact display which my Eskie passes with longing - but without wild eyes. Every time I am in there someone is buying the bones and saying how much their dogs like them - sure wish my guy didn't turn into a White Wolf with them. We would have made a pretty funny video - especially when I dive-bombed to the floor to get the bone after showing my husband that I was not exaggerating our dog's response - but what was even more amazing is that once it was in my hand, all was well again - I know a lot of dogs would have gried to grab it - but, no - Hi, Mom - so cookies anyone! I can recommend the Turkey Breast Jerky though - only 1% fat (my guy just lost 5 lbs. - from 26.5 to 21.5 - so huge % of body weight - and Eskies are inclined to gain weight.

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I just received notice that all the Global /Ryan's Pet Food Store
have permission to now carry the Timberwolf Organics Line in their
stores. I will be getting in contact with these stores by the middle
of next week I will email you on which ones will be carrying the
products and when they will be expecting a delivery. I know that
there are 3 Global pet Foods Stores within Quebec city.

Thought it fit here... I forgot I have a TO thread somewhere.. But you'll see it here right?:shrug:

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Oh and in case you're wondering:

Global Pet Foods
Address: Pitou Minou & Compagnons Global
475 Grand Boulevard # 38
Ile Perrot
Quebec
J7V 4X4
Canada
Phone: 514-453-4000
Fax: 514-453-6194

Global Pet Foods
Address: Pitou, Minou & Compagnons Global Point-Claire
245F Boul. St. Jean
Point-Claire
Quebec
H9R 3J1
Canada
Phone: 514-694-2152
Fax: 514-694-0642

Global Pet Foods
Address: Pitou Minou & Compagnons
3100 Harwood Unit 110
Vaudreuil- Dorion
Quebec
J7V 8P2
Canada
Phone: 450-455-0262
Fax: 450-455-6113

So yeah.;) These are the only ones in Quebec, so I guess our little friends still don't know Canajun geography 100%.:shrug: :rolleyes: :cool: