Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help please?:( My Mom's Cat's Fur Is So Matted!!need Advice,suggestions?

VIOLET0019
October 28th, 2006, 06:11 PM
URGENT! HELP PLEASE?!! My elderly Mother,lets her 18yr.old male cat, outside(unfortunately)! "Cowie" is not feeling well-a combination of being a senior & always having years of new & old injuries, that are trying to heal constantly!(years of cat fighting-unfortunately). His fur is terribly matted-from head to toe, as a result, sadly, he is unable to wash himself. When one tries to touch Cowie, he will try to scratch and bite them because the poor kitty is in such pain :( A few months ago, my 90 yr.old Father was hospitalized for 5 days (on intravenous etc.), because "Cowie" bit his hand. He was (gently) petting him, as usual, & only realized after Cowie biting him, that he could not be touched, as he was in hurting from catfight injuries and his painfully,very matted fur.Because my Mother is very stubborn, & usually refuses to follow any of my suggestions, or instructions ** on general cat care, (there are so many other upsetting "issues" on how she cares for her cat, that I dare not mention any more of them-I do not want to further upset anyone!) Maybe she would "listen" to "strangers" - members from this site, who may help poor Cowie. I would be so grateful for any personal experiences, opinions, suggestions: how to remove matted fur, or how to make him more comfortable? HELP PLEASE?! Thank you!(**From years of my many experiences & knowledge of animals, i.e. I have placed 94 cats and 8 dogs for adoption :) etc.etc.!)

LibbyP
October 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM
If his fur is that matted, I would take him to her vet or groomer and have him shaved down, this CANNOT be done safely at home(for him or you) as they have proper ways of handleing/sedation etc... I'm sure there will be others here that can offer more advice but that is what I would do, good luck

Cathy1
October 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I found a stray 8 yrs. ago that was matted and the vet said it best just to shave it off but I was keeping her as a inside cat. Not sure what to do for an outside cat.

jiorji
October 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM
well I say you should try to catch her and take her to the vet. Then she could get a shave, maybe there's wounds under her fur that are open and infected :shrug:

badger
October 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Where shall I begin. The poor cat sounds quite neglected.
First, is he neutered? Even at his advanced age (as long as the vet thinks he is able to handle it), it MUST be done, for his health and to prevent more poor cats from coming into this wretched world.
Unprovoked aggression is often a sign of illness. Your mother needs to take this cat to the vet IMMEDIATELY for a full examination. He will probably need blood tests to make sure he hasn't got any chronic diseases, which are not uncommon in older cats and often lead to changes in behaviour. He may need antibiotics for an infection that is well hidden.
If possible, I would have him shaved under anaesthetic. It sounds so bad, I doubt if even a skilled groomer could help him. Having a matted coat is not the same as a bad hair day. It is extremely painful and can lead other problems. I wouldn't even bother trying again yourself, it will only traumatize him more. Don't forget to tell the vet that he can be difficult, vets are usually experienced in dealing with frightened animals.
After that, he would have to be kept inside at all times, particularly during the cold weather. Maybe your mother could use this time to bond with him a little more, get him used to a daily brush. If what you say is true, her attitude is pitiful. Does she not want to see her old companion healthy and happy? He's an old man and his fighting days should be over.

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 07:34 PM
My Jerry also went through an episode of bad hair when he got into some tree sap! A groomer and I tried everything, and it got worse and worse, and the hairs were starting to pull together and was very painful for him! I took him to a vet who said they could shave him or I could, well they tried, HE FREAKED! so I took him home, laid out a towel, got my clippers, he came over, stretched out and let me shave him, even rolling the right way, etc, he made it so easy, it was like he knew I had to do it to his beautiful fur, it eventually grew back and he is beautiful again, but ya, if he aint gonna make it easy, and is in pain, you better get it professionally done, if he has open wounds from pulled hair, etc, you could really hurt him if he freaks, but it sounds like it needs to be done. Be careful! Or you could really hurt him, but if you do nothing, it will only get worse! Good luck! Let us know how he does!:fingerscr

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Everything constructive has been said, but I just wanted to say that under sedation would be best, if that's possible. Mats are painful and pull constantly on the skin. Every cat I shaved under sedation woke up 100times more cheerful than when they went under.

Plus once he's under, they can decide if there are other things to do- like neutering, suturing up cuts, draining absesses etc, that they find under all those mats.