Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog eating feces.

Winston's Human
October 28th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Our dog, Shilo, eats poop. She eats cat poop, other dog poop and human poop when given the opportunity (ie off leash). Is this normal? How do you break a dog from doing this? We have had her 6 weeks today, adopted from the SPCA, was an abused dog.

Thx

ByronsMum
October 28th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Hi Winston's Human. Our dog, Byron, does the same. He is 4 1/2 months old. My suggestion is to let your vet know and he/she may provide you with For-Bid: a powder that you would sprinkle on his food and makes the taste of poop aversive to them. The powder did not work for our Byron (see my thread at http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32156), but supposedly does for most dogs.

Also, make sure you pick up after her when she poops, even if it is your backyard. Because, let me tell you, she will EAT IT ALL!! :o

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :D

Winston's Human
October 28th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Never heard of it and certainly will look into it - thx. She doesn't eat her own poop, just any other poop she can find.

Lissa
October 29th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I've seen a few people trying those cage muzzles but it that never lasts long since you aren't teaching the dog anything and/or they do not like the negative perceptions of a muzzle.

Dodger will try and eat cat poop too:o but since I know he's on the lookout for kitty turds, I am vigilent and very quick with the "LEAVE it" command!

There's numerous ways to train a "leave it" command - some people put a piece of food under their foot, put their dog on-leash (or in a stay) and repeat "leave it" until the dog stops trying to get the food (or looks at you) then praise and reward. The dog should never be allowed to self-reward and what you treat her with from your pocket should always be WAY more high value than what your are using as bait (so start off with something she's not fond about, maybe a kibble or dry dog treat). Other people will use a negative reinforcer whether its a word or a spray bottle or shaking a can of pennies.
Solidifying the "leave it" command is very important IMO - I still set Dodger up by putting high value treats in his path and expecting him to recall or heel around them (and focus on me!)
I don't have to reward whenever I say "leave it" but some people think that always rewarding after a dog has left temptation is the best way to go.