Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Infection

jennipets
October 28th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Hello,
site-my cocker spaniel is prone to ear infections-we've spent a fortune on vet bills in order to clear this chronic problem up-we are still battling it-the last time at vets he was put to sleep-ears cleaned and another antibiotic "baytril otic"-we have run out again and ears are still not clear-our dog eats "nutram" not much people food-he is not overweight-he's active and the most loving dog ever.
Just a bit of background NOW i don't know what i'm dealing with-last night my dog was stratching hard so i thought-i looked down next to my bed and he was shaking and tried to walk and lost his balance-i thought it may be middle ear infection again-but then wondering if i'm dealing with seizures as well. There a test vet's can give to find out about seizures? Need help pls

jenni

erykah1310
October 28th, 2006, 09:43 AM
One of my dogs had cronic yeast infections in her ears, no matter how many times she had drops, cleanings it would always come back....
I came here ( much like you) and have switched her food since.
Now she is eating raw and when she does have kibble she eats wellness lamb.

Im not a pro on dog food, but have learnt alot here. Soon enough one of the food pro's will start talking bout the food you are feeding.

Im sorry to hear about the ear problems.

As far as seizures, yes there is tests that can be done, but would need a neurologist kinda vet( sorry im not very technical) If your dog is having seizures there are meds that help a great deal!

Good luck with everything and :grouphug: i hope you get things figured out soon.

pitgrrl
October 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I came here ( much like you) and have switched her food since.
Now she is eating raw and when she does have kibble she eats wellness lamb.......

As far as seizures, yes there is tests that can be done, but would need a neurologist kinda vet( sorry im not very technical) If your dog is having seizures there are meds that help a great deal!

I would agree that you should look into a diet change, as that seems to really help alot of dogs prone to ear infections. I had a quick look at the Nutram ing. list and there seems to be a whole lot of grains in the first 5 ingrediants, 2 being corn specifically.
Have you ever fed anything else? Did was there a difference in the ears?

As far a seizures, there are some tests that your regular vet can do aswell as help you figure out if that is in fact what you're dealing with. They would likely refer you to a neurologist if/when needed.
These are a couple of good sites on seizures in dogs:

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

OntarioGreys
October 30th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Ask your vet to run a blood test to check for hypothyroidism
Seizures re-occuring ear or skin infections can be symptoms of thyroid disease, and it is common problem with cockers

BMDLuver
October 30th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Interesting in one post you have no pets, in another you have a cocker spaniel, so do you have a spaniel?

Tambo
October 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I have a toy poodle who would frequently get ear infections. My vet at the time suggested that I use an drying ear cleaner after her bath (I bath her once a week). I purchase the Virbac Epi-Otic ear cleanser for dog and cats from the vet. After her bath I put some of the solution in each ear canal, massage it in well, take a cotton ball tear it in half, roll it so it looks like a tootsie roll and put in to ear canal to absorb the soultion, do one ear at a time (my vet demonstrated this to me in his office). Dogs that have ears that do not stand up are prone to ear infections if they are not kept dry. The Epi- Otic soultion is a cleanser as well as an drying agent. I have not had a problem since. Good Luck. :pawprint:

Prin
October 31st, 2006, 12:55 AM
Tambo, your dog might have ear infections because of the food you're feeding. It's got corn and soy, two of the most common allergens for dogs. If you need help finding a new food, check out the food forum, or post a thread about your situation and we can help.:)

mafiaprincess
October 31st, 2006, 01:11 AM
I have a cocker.. She's from skeazy heritage being a mill dog. I rarely need to clean her ears. I think it's from feeding only good quality foods. Seems to cut down on the number of vet trips we need in a year. Just all around healthier.