Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

:-( MY kitty... help me... im not sure what to do :(

ambientbreeze
February 23rd, 2004, 06:35 PM
my kitty is pregnant.... i think she might be in labour, but i dont know....

she left 'something' on my couch, shes licking her underneath a lot, shes growly and grumpy, shes only letting me near her, she keeps crouching too, shes nodding and rocking, eating little and often, and generally not being herself.

How do i know if this is it?

What can i do to help her?

Lucky Rescue
February 23rd, 2004, 07:20 PM
Put your cat in a quiet spot away from household activity. Watch her carefully.
If she is in labour, you will see contractions and she may growl and knead. She should have the kittens very close together.

If she is in labour - having contractions and straining - and does not give birth shortly, take her to the vet.

And when the kittens are 5 or 6 weeks old, HAVE HER SPAYED.

ambientbreeze
February 24th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the help Lucky. Last night must have been a kitty version of Braxton Hicks, because she carried on all night long, but didnt produce any kittens! She had a little sleep, then a big eat, and then started again!!!

I've left her boxes and beds all over the house, all with water nearby incase she gets dehydrated.

The plan is to have her spayed when her kittens are off the teat , this is her first litter and we wanted her to have one - for which we already have good, pre vetted homes with people we know and trust, who have promised to look after the kittens well and get them spayed at 12 weeks.

My kitty is like one of my babies, and she really frightened me last night, I hate seeing her suffer. Thanks again for your advice.

Ambi xxx (And spooky xxx)

mona_b
February 24th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Has she had the kittens yet?

ambientbreeze
February 24th, 2004, 08:25 AM
not that i am aware of ... she has been hiding for the last couple of hours... i keep looking in on her but without getting too close, i will check her properly when my toddler goes to sleep so that he doesnt get ideas and upset her. :)

ambientbreeze
March 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM
MY kitty finally gave birth on Thursday night. (the vet said this was normal and that cats 'first stages' can take literally upto a week or so!)

She had 5 kittens, pretty good going for her first labour really, she needed a little help with the first two, but she was ok after that.

I was just wondering how long she would bleed for? Its not like loads of blood, but the odd occasional string (about 1 - 2 of these per day), Also is this normal, and should I wash her or anything so that she doesnt get an infection?

(you can see spook and her babies at http://www.ambis-kitties.tk )

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I know I probably seem like Im a worrier, but I really do love my cat to bits.

Luba
March 6th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Well I'm glad the delivery went well. She is doing fine? and the babies?

ambientbreeze
March 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Spook and the babies are all doing really well. Shes a natural mum, and all five of the babies look to be in great shape :)

The only real thing I am concerned about is this little bit of a bleed, Im sure im fretting over nothing really :)

Im pretty sure we have a litter of four little boys and just the one girl, although its hard to tell at the moment. :)