Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stories of Animal Abuse/Neglect? - graphic descriptions

Paula69
October 27th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Hi there, I think it's really important to hear stories from everyone about animal abuse and neglect in our society! The administrators warned me that graphic details will not be acceptable, so be careful how you word please in getting point across. I really think education is a key in helping prevent these occurences, and people and the Govt don't realize how often these acts happen, nor do the people responsible realize the damage it causes! Maybe if we share stories here, it could help in some way, some Gov't officials could maybe use it for ammo, who knows..but I think it's important now more than ever to get the word out on how often this happens, the events that happen, the people involved and the impact of these terrible deeds. Please help by sharing stories that you know of! I'll make sure some bigwigs (Hello, Myron Thompson and Hon. Monte Solberg!) see it and hopefully it'll help them understand! Thanx all! :ca: :fingerscr !!Warning!!, some people may be offended by these true stories of animal abuse in our society, I believe they need to be told though to help raise awareness for the animals that suffer, and hopefully have an impact on the beasts that cause these acts, these are not good stories, they're meant as an awareness, education tool..please go to Happy Animal Stories PLEASE, in same forum, for better stories to read....And please give us some Happy stories there..we need em!

Paula69
October 27th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Princess was my beloved dog when I was 12. A highschool student purposely drove onto the sidewalk when I was walking her on-leash, I got out of the way on time, but couldn't get her over far enough and she was killed right in front of me! They drove away laughing, having a great time, I never got over it, and hurts me to this day. I wrote down the plate and gave to cops, but they never did anything. The kids drove by every day on their way to school and whenever they saw me they laughed in hysteria! I'd still like to track that plate if I could?!

Paula69
October 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I also had a Shep Husky X named Sheba, who I lived for! I was in a very abusive relationship and the only reason I stayed was because of threats to my dogs life, she was my only family! I told the cops, they couldn't do anything until he actually physically hurt her or me:rip: , well he damn near killed her and me, so they got their way. But, despite the fact that she had saved my life by taking some serious wounds for me, then stayed bleeding right along w/ me for a day and a half until I could get to the phone for help, then almost died (3 x her) (me only once), they did nothing to charge him for her! I felt so completely let down, there's no justice for our beloved family pets. He got out in 6 months for what he did to me, was supposed to be 3 yrs. I got out of hospital, then women's shelter after 6 months also. Great timing, then it started all over again! I hid my dog at farm everyone convinced me to give her to, she was run over a week later by a tractor. I cried for a year, seriously, wanted to kill myself, I have no family. I owed her my life and will never forgive myself, I should have protected her, the law should have protected both of us, before we were harmed, not after.

Cathy1
October 27th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Not only the law should be protecting animals but also people.
In Duke's case, he was found as a stray and the pound told me where he was found. After some searching and asking people alot of questions in that area I found information on Duke that I needed so I could understand some of his actions. Neighbors told me that he had been locked in a garage most of the time and was fed when they felt like feeding him. They would go away for a week at a time and leave him in the garage. He was beaten with sticks, rope, and had objects thrown at him. The day we picked him up we went straight to the vet and had him checked over. The vet noticed he got very scared when they checked his bum area. After thorough investigation the vet told me something that made me sick to my stomach.( not something I can mention here). All I could do was cry everytime I looked at him, imagining the life he had. Sometimes I wished I never found this out but it did help me understand him. He still has issues and I don't know what to do to help him. For the most part he has been the most well behaved dog I have ever seen. I don't understand why someone would beat him. Neighbors said they never complained because they didn't want to get involved. I want to make a point that people need to get involved to protect the animals. To me they are just as bad as the abuser for letting it happen.
*****If there is a problem with this post, I will edit it.

Paula69
October 27th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Sorry about Duke's former life, I don't understand how people could hurt an animal when they look into it's eyes and see it's personality and soul. Here's my 2 dogs, the black ones Zeppelin, she was thrown out of a moving van on highway when she was about 3 m old, Ramsey was going to be shot. They are the best dogs I've ever had and my best friends, don't know how I'll live w/o them. Thanx for sharing your story!:pawprint:

Byrd
October 27th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Oh Paula, that's absolutely dreadful! A child should not have to have that happen to them. :mad: No one should.

All of these stories are terrible. I really don't know how anyone can do such things to other living creatures.

technodoll
October 28th, 2006, 12:05 AM
i can't read this thread, it makes me sick to my stomach and extremely sad... my faith in man"kind" is being sorely tested these days with such eye-openers... sorry for being so weak :sad:

jiorji
October 28th, 2006, 12:35 AM
i too find this thread a bit disturbing. Paula why do you only post threads about severe animal abuse? Do you purposely seek to hit those negative emotional spots when people read those things?

yes we need to raise awareness for animals, yes we need to help them, but is there no good in the world? Are there no good animal helpers that we could mention?

I just don't get it. We're not all animal abusers, why not post something good "animal was finally given a good home with love". Sorry to be so peachy, I'm NOT being ignorant to animal abuse and I'm not turning my head to ignore these things. My cat was abused with her past owner, my aunt owns a dog she rescued off the streets after a man ran him over when he was just a pup, but I choose to focus on the positive life they have now. I enjoy reading threads about animals seeking a second chance in life, don't get me wrong, but I find some things a bit too much. I just think that this board is about much more than constantly turning people's heads towards hatred and animals being in pain.
There must be something good in your community other than animals being gruesomely killed or abused that you might want to share with us.:)

Byrd
October 28th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Maybe there could be a 'twin thread' that focuses on really good things with animals.

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 03:14 AM
I sure don't mean to upset anyone, but people really don't realize how often these acts occur in our society, and the impact it has on us! I just need a place where animal lovers can share their stories so it may help educate those with blind eyes, we can't continue to turn away and say and do nothing. Sorry if I'm doing it harshly. Maybe it is a bad idea? I just can't believe how many people don't realize what's going on all around them, I can't watch anymore. I owe my life to my animals, I have to do everything I can to educate people to these horrific scenes that occur everyday. I think having a Happy Story site is a great idea! PLease bring it on! I need it too, so much! I'll start it right now if someone hasn't allready! But really, I think if hundreds or even thousands of stories were posted, the Gov't can't possibly continue to dance around this issue. We need to make them notice! Various organizations and Gov't officials could possibly use this information one day to help w/ causes or at least open their eyes abit! The radio station here in Medicine Hat today, had call after call of recent witnessed abuse on animals here, that's just here? How about where you are? How many stories like mine go unheard? We need to educate to make positive change, sorry I know it hurts, but these stories could be very helpful, again, sorry to offend! Now give me some Happy stories on other thread, cuz ya, those are way better, I agree, I got a few of my own! :sorry:

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 03:35 AM
OK, started Happy Animal Stories PLease in same forum, great idea! We deffinetly need some good stories as well! PLease go there if you don't want to read anymore of these terrible stories! I still feel it's important they're told though. But yes, give us some good, happy stories there please, I need a lift as I'm sure we all do!:grouphug: :ca:

Dobb
October 28th, 2006, 04:23 AM
I agree with Paula about starting this thread on animal abuse. If people do not see or read stories like this then they are not likely to be aware of what actually does happen to some animals. The more it is talked about the more public the issue becomes. Who knows, maybe a prominment burorcrat or law official reads a story or two and gets the wheels turning in goverment. No one wants or likes to read abuse stories, but I think we owe it the animals to make it as public as possible.
Paula,, sounds like you had a tremendous experience, I can't find the words to describe what I am feeling. Hope you are doing alright now.
Dobb

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Ya man! I'm always good, Hostest w/ The Mostest and have fronted many Causes I believe in! And always win! Fought City hall 3x and won, down to earth me. I call it like it is...allthough I can be 2 abrasive sometimes, don't put up w/ it anymore, but try to have fun and make everyone's day along the way. Lately it's been hard to not be negative w/ all this going on, sorry. Yes, I'll make sure the above mentioned politicos see this if it helps, I know someone who knows them....and hopefully many will see and all these animals did not die in vain then, if it makes a difference, and helps people understand. It does hurt to read these stories though, but they must be told. Education and Understanding is the Key to Success my friends!:fingerscr

Golden Girls
October 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
i too find this thread a bit disturbing. Paula why do you only post threads about severe animal abuse? Do you purposely seek to hit those negative emotional spots when people read those things?In all fairness the title of the OP's post has a warning ... meaning you have a choice to click in or not! I don't think you'd feel too good if someone asked you why you post the things you feel are important to you say like your leaf school project?

Maybe Paula69 has seen and/or been involved in alot of animal abuse/neglect in her life and wants to try and do something :shrug: Critisizing her posts is not something we as pet.ca members do, or do we? She is fairly new and I believe everyone has things to offer or, at least they have the same rights as anyone else to post what's important to them. I know I don't click into threads that are of no interest to me or if it disturbs me I move along just as no doubt all the other 3,000 members have to do.

Besides this if administration feels her posts are too disturbing they would of already removed them, which is their right. My 2 cents.

Looking forward to everyone's happy animal stories in the appropriate thread :)

Paula69. There is way too much animal abuse and neglect in our society and I also believe education is the key.

Golden Girls
October 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Here's my 2 dogs, the black ones Zeppelin, she was thrown out of a moving van on highway when she was about 3 m old, Ramsey was going to be shot.You certainly have 2 gorgeous dogs there :love:

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Ya, again, I don't like reading these stories either, but I will be getting Myron Thompson to read this and hopefully others, as this info. could in a way help w/ anyone's animal causes. We need to raise awareness, and so far, this is the best animal forum web-site I can find, w/ the most interest from people who care about animals. People unfortunately need to share stories so people know how often it happens, we can't keep ignoring it and hope it will go away. Again, I don't like reading these stories, but it's important they're told, so people know. It is strangely comforting to know there are others like me out there who have suffered along w/ their beloved animals and understand what it's like, so I'm not alone, sadly. Sure wish it were different, again, animals have saved my life repeatedly, and I owe my life to them. They have brought and endless source of joy and love to me through the years, and really I couldn't have made it this far w/o them. I'll post more happy stories in that thread when I have time, and I'm sure there's more out there...but yes, I probably care too much, but animals were my only family, and so the only things that never let me down, I'm extremely close to my animals, and will always do whatever it takes to save all I can, even it calls for bringing attention to the matter in a painful way, so people will notice and get involved. These acts occur every day, behind closed doors, and we need to do something about it, in whatever way will help. If I get alot of stories on here, I will be forwarding to every Media outlet and Gov't official I can if it helps...and I got alot of contacts.These forums are extremely important in that thay are a beginning point for a merging of info and combing rescources to begin education and awareness, to initiate positive change in a very public way to get all concerned involved or at least enlightened. We need to start coming together, to do what's in the best interest of all animals, and these forums, could potententially have a huge impact on changing people's minds by bringing poeple together in the future. I'm still working on ideas I have to give public more say in animal welfare, and hopefully get people more involved and working together, but still have alot of research to do, and a long way to go..this is an awareness tool, so people please contribute stories, and how they affected you, so we can get people to take notice finally. Thank you...now where are those stories, I know there's an endless supply unfortunately, but this is very important!:ca:

Frenchy
October 28th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Paula69. There is way too much animal abuse and neglect in our society and I also believe education is the key.

I'm all for it but I think people who are going to read it here (pets.ca) already knows about that and are people who loves animals. But yes,you are right,too many people are unaware ; some of you may know I tried to adopt an abuse Rottweiler weeks ago (I have posted about her in the adopt a dog thread) A coworker overheard me talking about Clara and couldn't believe me. She ask me,seriously, if some people really did beat their animals :confused: This woman is about 40 years old and had no idea ! Paula , I am so sorry about everything that happen to you.:sad: :grouphug:

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM
So sorry for your Rottie! I lived w/ one once, "Bear", he was the lake's dog, and spent his days travelling freely around a lake community of about 50 cabins and 24 campsites mooching food, helping people, o-wait wrong thread...but everyone loved him, he belonged to everyone really, big sweet cuddly loveable teddy bear, ya he made us proud. Well that's the thing, people don't realize how often it happens! I hope people will post, it will help, if I get enough, where else could I try? Are there other good forums out there I can't find? K, enough about me, this isn't supposed to be about me, but what happens to animals! Thanx though, but really, I've lived on my own since like 12 and raised myself since birth pretty much w/ the help of animals allong the way, I'm 33, this is all normal to me, don't worry they brought me up very well, and I've been very successful in all I've done, well not at the moment, I'm really not much of anything right now..no fault of Zep and Rams though..I'll talk more about me on my web-site later maybe, and I'll post some of those good stories how animals helped me in other thread happy thread later, I've done alot, but this isn't about me! We gotta come together to help some animals! Thanx Frenchie! Thanx! U guys Rock!

jawert1
October 28th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I think all of us who have been involved with rescue animals have seen/heard/dealt with the aftermath of abuse, starting a thread to pick at the scabs and sometimes yet open wounds seems rather callous and in a manner, using a generally positive and open thinking message board to further your individual causes and crusades. There are free blog services out there if you wish to start your own daily updates/horror stories/petition requests/etc., in case you would like to explore those avenues as well.

mafiaprincess
October 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I think all of us who have been involved with rescue animals have seen/heard/dealt with the aftermath of abuse, starting a thread to pick at the scabs and sometimes yet open wounds seems rather callous and in a manner, using a generally positive and open thinking message board to further your individual causes and crusades. There are free blog services out there if you wish to start your own daily updates/horror stories/petition requests/etc., in case you would like to explore those avenues as well.

Newspapers are often full of stories of abuse, neglect, death. People and pets. I don't come on here so I can be bombarded with thread after thread of heartache. True I can choose to avoid them, and I feel the need to avoid near every thread the OP starts. But it's bordering on annoying. One thread to try to get people to share happy stories doesn't fix this. It's going on weird at this point.

meb999
October 28th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Newspapers are often full of stories of abuse, neglect, death. People and pets. I don't come on here so I can be bombarded with thread after thread of heartache. True I can choose to avoid them, and I feel the need to avoid near every thread the OP starts. But it's bordering on annoying. One thread to try to get people to share happy stories doesn't fix this. It's going on weird at this point.

The name of the thread is what bothers me : why the need for GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS ?

I wasn't ever going to post in this thread (or even open)....but curiosity got the best of me, and I'm glad I'm not the only who is more than a little disturbed by it.

mafiaprincess
October 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM
The name of the thread is what bothers me : why the need for GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS ?

I wasn't ever going to post in this thread (or even open)....but curiosity got the best of me, and I'm glad I'm not the only who is more than a little disturbed by it.

True enough. That got me too. I avoided it the entire time it's bee nposted though it keeps popping up in my new posts, and then wanted to know what exactly it was. One thing to want to share animal abuse. Another when it looks like the OP would like the descriptions as graphic as possible.

Blathach
October 28th, 2006, 10:03 PM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed.

jiorji
October 28th, 2006, 10:03 PM
i'm glad to see others share my view on this. And it doesn't mean i'm being rude to the OP or that i'm being abusive.
I guess i'd rather focus on the current great life my pet friends have now than linger on what terrible things happened to them before I met them.