Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poop-eating puppy!

ByronsMum
October 27th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Byron has coprophagia...we have tried For-Bid and it has not worked. Our vet says that the only thing we can do is to just pick up after him, but I am not defeated yet....We DO pick up after him (most times), but sometimes he poops in the oddest and hardest places to get at...

Ideas on how to curb his taste for poop? He KNOWS he shouldn't eat it cus he looks at me/hubby when he is eating it with that "ha, ha...stop me if you can" look. :frustrated: :yell: Needless to say, we are FRUSTRAATEEEEEDDDDD!!!!:frustrated: :yell:

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Byron has coprophagia...we have tried For-Bid and it has not worked. Our vet says that the only thing we can do is to just pick up after him, but I am not defeated yet....We DO pick up after him (most times), but sometimes he poops in the oddest and hardest places to get at...

Ideas on how to curb his taste for poop? He KNOWS he shouldn't eat it cus he looks at me/hubby when he is eating it with that "ha, ha...stop me if you can" look. :frustrated: :yell: Needless to say, we are FRUSTRAATEEEEEDDDDD!!!!:frustrated: :yell:

We've also had this problem--in fact, one of our dogs is a poop-eater now...she waits till she's pretty sure you have your back turned, then she does the deed while spinning so she can eat the dollops as they drop... brrrrrr disgusting when she wants kissies after!

We also had a springer that had the habit. (In winter she loved poopsicles...shudder) Someone told us to sprinkle steak tenderizer on her kibble. By gum, it worked! Evidently as it passes through the digestive tract it makes everything smell bad to dogs and the poop is no longer appetizing to them.

The tenderizer worked with the springer but not with the setter, so it must be an individual sort of thing. :fingerscr But it's worth a try if Byron isn't on a restricted diet.

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Oh, and just an FYI cautionary tale... I saw that our poop-eater was chewing on something last winter and went to take it away (she was outside, I had no idea what it was). I held my hand out and told her to 'give' and she placed a half-frozen, half-eaten turd in my hand. sigh So we taught her the command 'drop it' instead...

:D

ByronsMum
October 27th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Oh, and just an FYI cautionary tale... I saw that our poop-eater was chewing on something last winter and went to take it away (she was outside, I had no idea what it was). I held my hand out and told her to 'give' and she placed a half-frozen, half-eaten turd in my hand. sigh So we taught her the command 'drop it' instead...

:D

ULGH!!! :yuck: Thanks Hazel. Will try the meat tenderizer and see how it goes...this may be a stupid question, but it is ok to feed this to him on a regular basis right?

I don't know HOW they digest it. They must have stomachs of steel!!! :eek:

hazelrunpack
October 27th, 2006, 09:35 PM
ULGH!!! :yuck: Thanks Hazel. Will try the meat tenderizer and see how it goes. I don't know HOW they digest it. They must have stomachs of steel!!! :eek:

Here's another gross tale...so don't read this anyone if you're eating dinner! The very worst part of this problem is when it doesn't agree with them and they throw it back up in the house. It's like the worst of both worlds...poop and barf.... ack ack ack :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: And it doesn't smell good, either!