Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is bitter and peeing in my house!! Help!!!

derdeepaws
October 27th, 2006, 04:05 PM
My huskyX and rottweilerX are both full grown adults, 9 or 10 yrs of age. When we go out we put them in the kitchen, (where they eat their food normally) and when we get home they have peed in the house. We started keeping them in the kitchen because they were peeing in other parts of the house. I was told to keep them where they eat or sleep b/c they will not soil that spot.
I put them in the kitchen and my husky figured out how to jump the gate, so last night I made sure he couldn't get out and then I came home to pee on the floor. I am not sure which dog is doing this, but I am pretty sure it is because he is mad at me for blocking him in.
They get walked twice a day for 45 minutes each and have access to the yard on a regular basis. I am not gone too long, maybe a couple hours at a time.
Does anyone know how to stop this attitude.
Please Help!!!

meb999
October 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Let me just start by saying that dogs don't think like humans. They don't 'take revenge'. Your dog isn't peeing in the house because you've locked him in the kitchen. Plus he was doing it before you locked him in there, right?
Also, have you been to see your vet? It might be a good idea to rule out any medical reasons....especially if your dogs are 9 and 10 years old (not exaclty young puppies :p ). How long has this been going on? Do you take them out right before leaving?

derdeepaws
October 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I know that it is not an act of urgency, b/c I take them out before I leave the house. I am wondering if it is a result of the two of them being confined together. (Although, it is by no means a small kitchen) They have been to the vet with no conditions that would affect this behavior. This peeing can be accompanied by trying to get into the garbage, howling etc. The possibility of them having separation anxiety is good, but the standard remedies for this have not helped in the past, it has been happening for a couple of years.
They are both rescue dogs who had different issues before I got them at the age of 5.
I have no doubt that this behavior is stemming from the husky X as opposed to the rottyX. I just don't know how to make him feel relaxed while I am out.

meb999
October 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM
First of all, when dealing with anxious dogs it's always a good idea to give them a ton of exercise. Like in humans, exercise relieves stress. How much exercise do they get?

I would take them for a walk before you leave the house. This it'll get some of their energy out and they'll have a chance to relieve themselves at the same time. I think a walk is a better idea then just putting them in the yard -- often dogs don't get the exercice they need from just beeing in the yard.

My dog had severe seperation anxiety when I got him (he's also a rescue). The way I dealt with it is by crate training him. I would serve him his meal in the crate. Whenever he would go into it on his own, he'd get^praise and cookies. I would lock him in there for a few minutes, then let him out. Then slowly increase the time I would leave him in there. It took awhile but he got over his SA (it never completely goes away....) and we've even weaned the crate out. It's now in the basement and he can have full run of the house when we leave. Baby-steps is the key. Also leave them some 'safe' toys to play with, toys that'll seem more interesting than picking the garbage or whatever. Like maybe a Kong stuffed with peanut butter.

mummummum
October 27th, 2006, 06:22 PM
These are big dawgs whose exercise needs wouldn't be met by two 45 minute walks. Walking just doesn't tire out the big guys the way it does the little guys. A six hour walk ~ yes but not for short spurts like 45 minutes. Even after an hour of speed-walking my guys are still raring to go. You don't indicate what they are doing when they are in your yard but perhaps you want to integrate some running through ball and frisbee chasing or bring them to an off-leash park for play with other dawgs if this is something they are able to do or swimming if you have access to water/ a swimming pool.

Dogs age at different rates and a nine year old bladder "ain't what it used to be". A urine test wouldn't hurt. I imagine it's safe to assume that you are ignoring the behaviour rather than punishing it as you didn't catch them in the act and that you are using a cleaning product to eliminate the odour/ marking.

You don't describe the relationship between the two dogs. Is there any bullying/ extreme submissiveness between them? There are some excellent threads on dealing with separation anxiety and what other members have found both helpful and effective. You may want to use the search function the board for these threads to see what others have tried beyond the "standard remedies".

vfrohloff
October 28th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't agree that 2x45 minutes walks each day aren't enough. I think it's plenty, and an awful lot more than many dogs get. This shouldn't be a reason for peeing in the house. Separation anxiety sounds more likely to me, and no amount of exercise will cure that, it is a different thing altogether. When your dogs go out just before you leave do you watch them to make sure they've peed? My Benny sometimes won't go if I'm not watching. I also bought them a couple of large Kongs and I stuff them with canned dog food and freeze them. I give them their Kongs right before I leave and sometimes they are still working on them when I get home. This distracts them long enough that they forget to freak out while I'm gone. Sometimes I put a dog cookie in the Kong and this keeps them going even longer because they can't get it out. Are your dogs both neutered? If so, were they neutered later in life? I ask this because my dog wasn't neutered until he was 4 and he still has the instinct to mark his territory. If your dogs are only really together in the kitchen when you're gone it may be that one is trying to show dominance over the other by peeing.

erykah1310
October 28th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I would definately get them checked by the vet, at their age and breeds, there could be a few medical reasons that they are doing this.
I know you said they have been to the vet, but perhaps a different vet or some more tests.

I personally think they are bored while your gone, you said they try to get into the garbage and howling and stuff. I'd try the kong, and many other fun things that can be rotated every once and a while ...

meb999
October 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Separation anxiety sounds more likely to me, and no amount of exercise will cure that, it is a different thing altogether.

Exercise doesn't cure SA, but it does help ALOT. Every single book on SA and all trainers will tell you that a tired dog is less anxious.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree that 2x45 minutes walks each day aren't enough.

It all depends on the Dog, Buster gets a total of 1hour and 30 minutes of walking and if I leave it at that, he would tear up the house. He needs eithr a good romp in the park, or a good game of fetch in the backyard.

Golden Girls
October 28th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Hi and welcome. I also agree, it's plenty of exercise. I'm sorry to hear your having difficulty with this issue. But seeing you've have them quite a while I'm thinking it's might just be a habit especially seeing they've been vet checked :shrug: Or, is there a possibility one's dominating the other?

Your thinking it might be the Husky X that's peeing, why not just put him alone in the kitchen then you'll know at least which one it is. O thank you for rescueing them, you seem to be doing a great job :)