Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccination Information Needed Please

crazyk1020
October 27th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Hi all, I was just talking to my mom and she has a friend who has 2-15year old cats one with diabetes. She is wondering if all the vaccinations are really neccesarry for them since they never go outside, never have any other animal brought into the house. They are getting older and I just don't think giving them all those vaccs is really healthy. Does any one have any websites or information on this that I can give her? She really doesn't want to give them if it isn't healthy for them or if they dont' need it any more. Please let me know what you guys think and any info on this that you may have. Thanks.

Lissa
October 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I definately would not be giving cats vaccinations at this age (especially if they have had yearly vaccinations up until now which IMO constitutes overvaccination). Vets tend to agree that when a pet gets older and or has health issues that vacciantions are no longer necessary because they should have built up an immunity and they are less likely to come in contact with a disease (and you don't want to compromise their system even more by continued vaccinations).

This gives specific examples for dogs but the article "Changing Vaccination Protocols" is helpful!
http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

mollydogsmom
October 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I tend to agree once cats get older the vacs are not necessary. My oldest cat lived until she was 24 she had not been to the vet in about 10 years. Yes she was blind and deaf at the end, but she knew where everything was and when she wasn't feeling good we fed her baby food with protein supplement from the vet.
My Brandy cat died at 15 yrs and he had diabetes, which we learned from the vet but they did not vac him at all just showed us how to take care of him with the injections and left it at that. Unfortunately he passed away 6months after the diagnoses and we still miss him .
For lots of vets it is a money catch to force shots, not all but quite a few.
Good luck

Prin
October 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I agree that they're not necessary at this point. Vet visits are still very important though...

If your mom is wary of it, ask her to ask her vet about titer tests. Maybe the vet can test the immunity to see if the kitty is protected enough.:)