Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Angie swallowed a Greenie whole!

Angies Man
October 26th, 2006, 10:59 PM
About 4 hours ago, it hasn't made her sick yet, and the ingredients look to be readily digestible.

Kinda disgusting and shocking to have a chewie I thought would last at least 5 minutes gone in one gulp, tho.

She's going through the awful chew everything stage. Within the past week, she's enjoyed my earphones, devoured a catalog, gotten the antenna off the cell phone, chewed up an air hose in the shop, and started on a water hose. She has chew toys!

Hope she gets through this stage without me totally losing my temper!:mad:

Shaykeija
October 26th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I would be getting your dog to a vet ASAP. Dogs have died from swallowing these nasty greenies. They do not digest well. My Sophie swallowed one whole and she puked it up 3 days later, still hard and green. I did not know she swallowed it. I was lucky she did not die from an obstruction.

erykah1310
October 26th, 2006, 11:25 PM
what are these "greenies" that are raising such a rukus???

And I have heard that about these " things" too. that they are actually not that digestable ( or something) im just gonna leave it at that considering I dont even know what they are.

Prin
October 26th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah, they're not digestible... She'll either throw it up or get blocked..:o

erykah1310
October 26th, 2006, 11:40 PM
SO I gather that they are non digestable treats??

Why are they so darn popular then?

technodoll
October 26th, 2006, 11:41 PM
greenies dental treats look like these:

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/images/greenies.jpg

they're very expensive for what they are!! :eek: and dangerous too, dogs see them as "food" and not as chew toys... so they can get swallowed in chunks that can obstuct the intestines and cause great damage, even death :(

mafiaprincess
October 26th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Because the maker of greenies claims that they are 80% digestible.

Problem is there are lawsuits pending from people with dead dogs from esophageal and intestinal blockages.

Prin
October 27th, 2006, 12:03 AM
They are "food" more than chewy things, but not food enough to be safe.:shrug:

erykah1310
October 27th, 2006, 10:05 AM
How is she doing Angies man???
Has she passed it?
Hope so :fingerscr

technodoll
October 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
yes.... please post an update! :fingerscr

Angies Man
October 27th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I called the vet this morning and talked to them about this. The greenie that Angie swallowed is one of the new formula ones (revised 7-06)--still a matter for concern, but it is digestible. The vet said to keep an eye on her for any changes in behavior, but as long as she's drinking, eating, and pooping to not worry.

She's pooped twice since scarfing the damn thing down and has eaten and had water. I've given her some probiotic. I'll just keep an eye on her today and be prepared to take her to the vets, but so far, no sign that anything is amiss.

I threw the other one in the trash.

Here's the new formula, btw:

Gelatin, wheat protein isolate, glycerin, soy protein isolate, sodiem caseinate, poultry flavor, hydrogenated starch hydrolate, vegetable oil, sodium tripolyphosphate, lecithin, ground flaxseed, calcium carbonate, magnesium monostearate, and on and on and on. (mostly minerals and vitamins from here on.)

I need to find something for her to chew on--I'm nervous about rawhide, & beef bones give her the sh**s, can't afford to let her chew on my tools, phone, audio equipment, or shoes. Groomer suggested a chunk of oak, but then there's splinters. . .anything I get needs to be big enough and hard enough that she can chew, but not tear off and swallow big chunks.

She is a very aggressive chewer.

Cathy1
October 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM
There is a story about these greenies here.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat/index.html

This website is about someone who is going after the company that makes them. www.burtscause.com The makers have released a new version of greenies that is supposed to be safe but I don't buy them.

jawert1
October 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Hey Angie's Man, I have two very powerful chewers, one of which is thoroughly neurotic about their chewtoys. I use the Nylabone Souper for powerful/hardcore/omg these things could survive nuclear anhiliation chewers, and both Simon and Peaches have had no issues. They don't break apart like other bones, and the small pieces they do ingest pass through directly. Or in Peaches case, she spits em out and piles em under my desk (don't ask - she's odd). I've found they prefer Chicken to Liver and will tolerate the Original flavor if they have to.

Prin
October 27th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Oh, I forgot to answer this:
Why are they so darn popular then?Advertising...;)

Angies Man
October 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Hey Angie's Man, I have two very powerful chewers, one of which is thoroughly neurotic about their chewtoys. I use the Nylabone Souper for powerful/hardcore/omg these things could survive nuclear anhiliation chewers, and both Simon and Peaches have had no issues. They don't break apart like other bones, and the small pieces they do ingest pass through directly. Or in Peaches case, she spits em out and piles em under my desk (don't ask - she's odd). I've found they prefer Chicken to Liver and will tolerate the Original flavor if they have to.

I've used those with dogs in the past. They work well for while, but every dog I've ever had got sick of them pretty quickly. Gotta find the super KING sized nylabone--this episode's got me a little paranoid about this fairly small standard poodle's propensity for gulping things--and a gulped nylabone would really be a disaster!!!:eek:

Btw, as I write this, Angie's been eating her kibble. So far so good, but I've put the phone # of the emergency vet in my cellphone.

meb999
October 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Do you have a Cuz? I find they're almost indestructable....Buster chews on it ALL that time and the feet haven't even been ripped off yet....then again, I wouldn't consider Buster an agressive chewer :shrug: Just a thought though...everyone I've recomended it to loves it :shrug:

Prin
October 27th, 2006, 04:03 PM
If you're worried about the feet, you can cut them off... Boo chews them off as soon as he gets it... My bro's pitties couldn't break the biggest cuz and they were aggressive chewers. The biggest one "farts" instead of squeaking too, which is less annoying.:D

meb999
October 27th, 2006, 04:17 PM
The biggest one "farts" instead of squeaking too, which is less annoying.:D
really? I thought I had the biggest size...and it definetly squeeeeeeeeeks :frustrated: . I'll have to look around for the bigger one :thumbs up . I actually have 2 of them :a red and an orange one. the red one has the squeeker pushed in, and the orange one still has it's squeeker intact. The orange one gets put away alot :o

Prin
October 27th, 2006, 04:25 PM
hmm... Well, I bought it last Christmas, so maybe they've changed it since then... They're really huge though. Almost too big to fit in a normal doggy's mouth.

Don't forget that most dogs can't see red... My doggies like the orange ones the best.;)

Angies Man
October 27th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Never seen a "Cuz", I'll look for one this weekend.

She sure is a great little dog. . .even if she is going through the hellish chewy stage. Been thinking what I'd do if she got sick--I have a virgin, never been used Discover Card--I think it would get a severe workout! (& then I'd sell a car to pay it back.)

LL1
October 27th, 2006, 05:20 PM
My dog destroyed a Cuz,I wouldn't risk it.You could try a goodie ship,I have found them stronger than Kongs.

gomez
October 27th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Orka makes these blue "jacks" that Gomez has not been able to destroy - we had the same problems as you with the chewing...

Nylabones seem to hold up well, the rubbery kind -

erykah1310
October 28th, 2006, 08:52 AM
can't afford to let her chew on my tools, phone, audio equipment, or shoes. .

Awww, but those are the funnest to chew :sad: lol :D

meb999
October 28th, 2006, 09:40 AM
How's Angie today?

Angies Man
October 28th, 2006, 10:30 AM
She's doing just fine, she's been out, done her business. She's not much of a morning eater, but she had her evening munch and continues to act normal.

Thanks for asking!

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Keep in mind that dogs can store things in their bodies for a while... Boo threw up a cookie whole a week after eating it once... So the greeny could still be in her belly and could still possibly obstruct something.:shrug:

jiorji
October 28th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Do you have a Cuz? I find they're almost indestructable....

my cat has the white one :o sometimes she sees it from across the room and runs up and pounces on it and then back paws at it. And there's teeth marks on it too :o
I too recommend Cuz toys :o hehe

I'm glad Angie's gotten past this unfortunate incident:thumbs up

jawert1
October 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM
To Prin's comments about the camel like traits our pups occasionally show off, Peaches ate a canvas curtain tie that ended up causing a blockage almost 7 months later. I had no clue until she had issues out both ends and they did a barium x=ray. Just something to keep in mind, and good luck finding stuff to keep her occupied and out of harms way :)

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Hey there, Hm, well alot of web-sites say don't give them, they'll kill your dog, others say it's improper sizing, they're supposed to be a bone, not a cracker, and are supposed to be given too big too swallow whole so they have to chew? I give my chewers 10-12" compressed rawhide bones, takes forever to chew down when too big too swallow, so they get some good chew time, make sure right size for your dog, they gotta work at it a bit! They last about a 4-6 days/ dog, anything else they try to swallow whole, I take em away when it looks like they're thinking about swallowing if it's too big, I gotta em trained now, I'll look at'em,..don't do it....they look like how did U know I was thinkin of that?.then make a big show of how WELL they can chew the last piece w/ a big innocent grin on their face! They're kids, gotta check every toy and thing of every possible danger ahead of time, kiddyproof house..they're worth it, and in time, they learn. Every time I caught them chewing something they shouldn't have, I just said, no...bad dog...no chewing...take it away...give them something to chew in other hand...as soon as they grab it......GOOD dog.....GOOD boy!...that's GOOD chewing! Ya, chew that! That's OK! and reward w/ treat once in awhile when chewing GOOD things, they learn whats there's to chew or not! Good luck!:fingerscr

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 09:13 PM
To Prin's comments about the camel like traits our pups occasionally show off, Peaches ate a canvas curtain tie that ended up causing a blockage almost 7 months later. I had no clue until she had issues out both ends and they did a barium x=ray. Just something to keep in mind, and good luck finding stuff to keep her occupied and out of harms way :)

Wow, that's scary! :eek: Lucky she has a good mom who's on the ball. :eek: :highfive:

Paula, rawhides have an even worse reputation for blockages than greenies. No matter how hard you watch your dog, a wet, slippery piece of rawhide can slip down his throat anyway.

erykah1310
October 28th, 2006, 09:15 PM
. No matter how hard you watch your dog, a wet, slippery piece of rawhide can slip down his throat anyway.

Dont they swell up too????

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Yep. They do. They un-dry. ;)

erykah1310
October 28th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I have never really ever baught anything like that for my dogs, they always chewed on bones ( real ones) or horse hooves ( after trimmings) its like chocolate to some dogs... Not sure of any bad things about them chewing that but never in 20 years( as long as i can remember) had a problem stemming from it.

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I wish everyone could get together and decide.actually 2 vets I showed rawhide to, as I was scared of that..reccomended them over anything, as easier to digest than a piece of solid bone? So what's the deal? And everyone has different opinions on Greenie's? All have said size is the important thing, watch when getting small, and I do, mine chew down to the last little piece, if I can't keep an eye on them when it's getting small, I don't give it to them at that time. Their game is to see who can get last little piece to last the longest to torment other dog, maybe cuz it's a competion thing it works? Good luck!

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 09:46 PM
The thing is, you might see small enough pieces going in, but once in, they might swell up to be too big to pass through.

phoenix
October 28th, 2006, 09:55 PM
My vet recommends dental rawhides too, but I don't give them because I have had to fish them out of my dog's throat, while he was trying to claw his face off trying to breathe. They get slimy and when they try to swallow, they lodge at the back.

I give my :thumbs up :thumbs up to the CUZ as well. My lab is an aggressive chewer and he hasn't killed one yet. He has 4 and loves them all. Prin is right, the huge one does make an interesting noise that is far less annoying!! And, Sam also loves the red one best ?? who knows why.

Also recommend ORKA blue toys. They've been great. and of course, KONGS are good too. The KONG ball has been indestructible. If you have a fetcher, lacrosse balls also withstand chewy damage.

meb999
October 28th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I'm lucky, Buster can have rawhides because he doesn't eat them. He chews 'em, but never really eats them. They last like months at my house (I usually throw it out before he actually gets to finish one) :o

*off to research ORKA blue toy* :D

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi, I find I can't get them near the normal rawhides, rawhide bones or pig ears, cuz ya they get slimy and they'll swallow them whole, the big compressed rawhide is a lot tougher, comes of in tiny pieces, near the end w/ most dogs, and I used to, take them away if they look like they were going to swallow it. I fished a dentabone outta my friends Daschund once, don't trust those, little too hard. But maybe I'll get another Kong, they didn't seem to like it nearly as much though.

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I've given compressed rawhides to my dogs, and if they eat them too slowly, they do swell up and get slimy too.

meb999
October 28th, 2006, 10:16 PM
But maybe I'll get another Kong, they didn't seem to like it nearly as much though.

Buster won't even look at his Kong, unless it's filled with something yummy...than he goes INSANE!!

mafiaprincess
October 28th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Only a handful of dogs I've ever met liked a kong just to play with. Most won't touch it unless it's filled.

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 10:24 PM
My doggies only like it if it's bounced. ;)

Angies Man
October 28th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Well, another uneventful day. Angie's got a touch of soupy-poop, but eats and drinks as normal. Apparently feel very good--she's currently knawing on her stuffed toy cat.

I admit, I'm still learning about Angie. The label on the greenie said for dogs between 50 and 100 pounds, in retrospect it was too small for her. It really didn't occur to me that she'd gulp it--I've had many dogs and none has ever done something like that.

I posted the ingredients, I know some of you think that it's not digestible, but it looks like it's mostly gelatin and some wheat solids. While I'm still in a wait and see mode, I'm thinking (and the Vet sort of backs me up) that it did break down in stomach acid.

I've looked at nylabones at the grocery, the ones they carry don't look a lot larger than the greenie, and I know nylabones aren't digestible. In a day or two, I'll head into Petsmart and see about a Cuz. Weekend projects & plans come first. (She loves to go for rides!)

hazelrunpack
October 28th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Only a handful of dogs I've ever met liked a kong just to play with. Most won't touch it unless it's filled.

You need to visit us! We have 6 Kong lovers and I've never stuffed them with anything (the Kongs, that is...but, come to think of it, we don't stuff the dogs either, I guess...:crazy: ).

Cass is so Kong-crazy, we have to hide them to give her a rest--otherwise she'd be chasing and retrieving and begging for it to be thrown and chasing and retrieving... Well, you get the picture!:D

Ember and Lil Belle love to chase Kongs, too--and Sheriff Cole does on occasion. LadyRidge and Cole love to sit and chew on them. And Macie carries one around with her like it's her long-lost buddy and she daren't put him down for fear of losing him again...

:D

Prin
October 28th, 2006, 11:03 PM
There are some nylabones that are made with only potato starch or compressed veggies.:shrug:

hazelrunpack
October 28th, 2006, 11:07 PM
We had a dog a while back that had IBD. He couldn't handle most treats or rawhides and we got him the rubbery nylabones--only problem was that he'd actually work pieces of them loose and try to swallow them. So we had to supervise him very carefully.

Angies man, the soupy poop might be the greenie passing through...?

mafiaprincess
October 28th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I'm sending my dog over Hazel.. Maybe yours can teach mine to like her kong :p

hazelrunpack
October 28th, 2006, 11:34 PM
I'm sending my dog over Hazel.. Maybe yours can teach mine to like her kong :p

I'm sure they'd be more than willing!:thumbs up

Angies Man
October 30th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Angie's okay. Soupy poop is gone for now. She's eating and drinking--seems to feel fine. Soupy poop may be related to the fact that I've been giving her a teaspoon of veggie (canola or olive) oil twice a day for the past few days.

We went to the locally owned pet supermarket today and bought new stuff--she got the largest (us$12!!!) Nylabone (it's huge!) and a Cuz. Sofar she ignores the Cuz and is loving her Nylabone.

Surprised to see that the local pet supermarket sells Wellness. They are pushing Nutro--not worth arguing with them about it. I have some coupons for the Nutro stuff, going to get my free bag of dog food and free bag of cat chow and head to the SPCA and donate them.

They have birds, bunnies, and reptiles, but don't sell kittens or puppies, so I guess they pass the test. . .

Unless something happens related to the greenie, this'll be the last update on this subject.

Frenchy
October 30th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I have some coupons for the Nutro stuff, going to get my free bag of dog food and free bag of cat chow and head to the SPCA and donate them.

Nice gesture ! :thumbs up Glad Angie is ok !