- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Trouble defecating

February 23rd, 2004, 01:07 PM
My dog has been straining when having a bowel movement. There has been mucous present. His bowel movements are small and are not necessarily dry, yesterday he had a small movement that was normal consistency but very small and almost looked a bit flattened, he is trying often to have a poop but getting only a small amount out, sometimes just the size of a quarter. I had him in to the vets today, where he had his anal glands expressed and an exam. The vet could not tell by feeling his abdominal area whether he was constipated or not(as he is overweight), but said she felt a raised area inside his rectum which could be causing him to have difficulty because it would make the opening smaller to pass stools. She also mentioned the possibility it being something to do with his prostrate. He is going in for x-rays tomorrow. I was just wondering what it could mean if it is his prostrate or what else it could possibly be that is causing this.

February 23rd, 2004, 01:44 PM
Important question.

Is he fixed? Also how old?

February 23rd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Yes he is fixed and he is around 8 years old. The vet mentioned they don't usually have prostate problems when fixed.

February 23rd, 2004, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately it can still happen though.Being neutered only lessens the chances of prostate problems such as cancer

One of my cousins dog who was neuterd as a pup ended up with prostate problems.Tests did show up prostate cancer.He was 6.Doc went through hell with all that had to be done.Unfortunately he had to be put to sleep.

Now I'm not trying to scare you in anyway.But it does happen.

Here is a link.It's about prostate problems.
Questions that are aked to a vet.

Also,have some blood work done too.

February 23rd, 2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks so much for the link to that information, I haven't found that much info in one place about prostate problems. It sounds like if it is related to his prostate it could be anything from an infection to cancer, so I guess I will just have to wait and see what the x-rays show before I will know anything more. Its good to have the info. though because it gives me some ideas of what questions to ask.

I will post what I find out tomorrow.

February 23rd, 2004, 04:40 PM
Your very welcome.:)

And I'm so glad to hear that you want to ask questions.To me this shows the vet of your concerns and that you have looked into some possibilities of what it could be.Especially with the prostate.

Knock on wood.My guys have been pretty healthy.

Yes,please let me know what happens.

Good luck:)

February 24th, 2004, 07:42 PM
We had Bingo into the vet today and he had x-rays done it. x-rays showed that his bowel is constricted and causing him not to be able to defecate properly as the opening is very small. Although the x-ray doesn't show what is constricting it, the vets can feel a large mass in his prostate area. A urine test was done and there is no blood or anything indicating an infection and he doesn't have other signs of an infection. So it appears that it is his prostate, that it isn't likely an infection and that it is a large mass. The vet thought it could be likely that it is cancer because he is neutered. We have some tough decisions on how to proceed with this because of cost and the liklihood of what it could be. regardless surgery will likely be required.

February 24th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear that.(((((((((( Dee and doggie))))))))))

Have they done a blood test?

Also an ultra sound

Alot can't be found on an x-ray,where an ultra sound can find more.

I know you have alot to think about.Talk to the vet and ask what the outcome will be.

I wish you both all the luck.

But please keep me posted.

February 25th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Yes please keep us posted. I hope all goes well and this situation resolves quickly and with least amount of discomfort.
Poor puppy ((hugs))

February 25th, 2004, 09:08 AM
There isn't a blood test to indicate whether it is cancer or not. We can do an ultrasound and they can look at the mass but it sounds like the best bet would be a biopsy. The best case scenario would be if he had an infection, but as I said urine tests showed no blood or increased white cell count and he has no other signs of infection, they can't be 100% sure, but it doesn't sound likely. Dogs that aren't neutered are more likely to have infections and those type of problems and dogs that are neutered, when something happens I guess more likely for it to be the worst case scenario. Right now they are unable to even give him an enema because of the mass has constricted his colon that much that they can't even do that.

If we start looking into this we could also be into thousands of dollars as the biopsy itself could cost 450.00 and that is just the beginning. The mass would still need to be removed.

We have decided that we are not going to get into these surgeries and biopsies. The vet of course cannot say 100% of anything to us but we feel given all the information that there is a good chance that it is cancer and we don't want to put him through a bunch of operations. We don't want to begin to look into something that we at some point probably won't be able to afford to continue and have decided that we are going to deal with his current condition until the point that he is no longer having a good quality life and at that point put him down. We have discussed this with our vet who does not have a problem with this.

We are all very sad, but we feel like this is the best option, right now he is still very happy and can defecate small amounts. We are going to feed him soft food and the vet told us some pumkin in his food will help soften his feces as well. We know that it will get worse and we do not want him to suffer, so it is just a matter of when it gets to that point.

This has come to us as quite a shock because he has not been sick, and we thought he was probably just constipated when we brought him in. Last week I would have never thought that we would be even thinking about this. When I look in his eyes we know that our best answer is the decision we made that way he will be able to be happy and not have to undergo a lot of invasive procedures at the end of his life. We are going to try and be happy and not think about it too much until we need to again.

February 25th, 2004, 09:38 AM
((((dee and puppy)))))

February 25th, 2004, 09:46 AM
I'm so sorry.:(

But can I ask you something?

Are you going to have the biopsy done?

The reason I ask is,what if it's just a large tumour,but not cancerous?And the mass can just be removed?And he will be fine.

If I was in this situation,I would have the biopsy done first.Then take it from there.

My cousin had them do a biopsy on Doc.That's how they knew that it was cancer.

February 25th, 2004, 10:43 AM
When discussing various options with the vet it sounded that regardles if it is actually cancer or not that it would involve surgery eventually. there is risks with surgery, and a risk could even be incontinence. We feel that having the biopsy would put us in a decision to continue on with something that we really don't feel is financially viable and we feel that could probably end with the same outcome because either way it does not look good.
I think when looking at the possible scenarios you have to be willing to follow through when you get the results. I would rather not know right now than know because either way it sounds like it would not be feasible for us to continue. It seemed to us that the vet felt it really could be the worst case scenario, although obviously they are not in the guessing business so they presented us with different options. I just feel that in my heart I know that I can't spend thousands and the probabilities seem to me that it is a good chance it is worst case. :(
Finances unfortunately do contribute somewhat to the decision, but also when I look at my old guys overall picture he is overweight and slower than he used to be, I just don't want to put him through anything that he doesn't need to go through.
If we thought it could just end up being simple we would do it, but realistically it just doesn't look like that is the case.

February 25th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Do you have a pic of him you can post?

February 25th, 2004, 11:52 AM
here is my sweetie bingo named for the famous song by my daughter. just click the link.

February 25th, 2004, 12:00 PM
OMG....He is just a sweetie.

My daughter has a thing for beagles.

With his weight,was he ever checked on that.Did the vet say anything about a diet for him?

Previous to his prostate problem?

February 26th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Yes we've had him on diet food in the past, however with 2 dogs in the house we'd end up with our older one getting the regular food and the one who didn't need it getting the diet food anyway. He does get exercise, and we don't give him table food or tons of treats. At this point however I am not concerned over this and this is not weight related. I am not going to beat myself up over his weight now, I feel bad enuf.

Thanks by the way for all the support at this difficult time! It's nice to know there are other people out there that love their pets as much as we love ours.

February 26th, 2004, 10:31 PM
it broke my heart reading "When I look in his eyes we know that our best answer is the decision we made that way he will be able to be happy and not have to undergo a lot of invasive procedures at the end of his life."

I think you've made the right decision... but you perhaps research this a bit further, see what others have done when faced with similar symptoms...

good luck