Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can I Get An Update On Vivi

Lukka'sma
October 26th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Has anybody got news of whether Vivi the wayward whippet from the Westminster dog show has ever been found.
I also have a question for anyone that shows dogs.
I was always assuming that show dogs were so well trained that they would come when called (each time, every time regardless of the situation) Obviously something went terribly wrong in this situation, but shouldn't she have responded to at least one recall command. I imaging she was called continually by the workers.
This story breaks my heart as winter will soon be upon her.

dogmelissa
October 26th, 2006, 06:23 PM
No idea about the update, but as I'm sure you know, even show dogs get frightened, confused & spooked. Ever tried calling back a dog who was completely terrified? They're running scared, and probably all they can hear is the sound of their own heart pounding in their ears and all the scary noises around them.
My own dog is about 90% with his recalls. He's not a show dog by any stretch of the imagination, but with 90% of situations, he'll come when called. Get someone on a skateboard in front of him, and in his world, I'm not there. I know this, and I know that there's no way I'll be able to get through to him in that situation, so I don't try. If I'm stupid enough to let him off leash around a skateboard, I know that the only way to get him back is to holler at the person on the skateboard that I'm coming to get him and ask them to stop, and then go and physically get him.

I'm sure that when Vivi escaped/was accidentally released, that she was scared, confused and uncertain. Yes, she'd been around planes, in airports, etc, but if she'd never been loose right next to a plane, in a city she wasn't used to, I'm sure she was terrified, overwhelmed with sounds and smells that were new to her, and probably didn't trust anyone who might have been calling her.

It's a terrible shame, but she is not the only dog who gets lost in North America and I'm sorry to say, but I don't feel any worse for her than for any other lost dog in this world. They all deserve to be found, picked up, returned to their families and/or rehomed, but that doesn't happen to all of them.

:sorry:
Melissa

OntarioGreys
October 28th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Still not found, a claim of a sighting in early october, the Whippet clubs last update was in September http://www.awc2006.com/index.php?page=vivi

A newsdays reporter is keeping a blog which includes any info of Vivi

with the newest poster that came out October 26 due to the newer possible sightings
http://newsday.typepad.com/news_local_flaim/vivi_watch/index.html