Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Pups have fever?

NachoBoots
October 26th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Both of my dogs have recently developed what the vet called a "Reverse Sneeze" in which they very roughly breathe in. It seems as if they are having an athsma attack. The vet prescribed an anti hystamine for one of my pups, as the other one didn't have it. However, now they both are making this noise, it's a repetative snorting, and one has fever. I can tell because he's very warm. Only one is sneezing and coughing and has a runny nose. He's been sleeping a lot but its what he normally does, and he eats everything I've given him. When he's up he acts himself with his brother. But I'm worried. What can I buy to maybe make him feel better? I have to get to the vet tomorrow but I was hoping to maybe hear something that may help them right now.

Thanks

the gang
October 26th, 2006, 05:01 PM
i have a rescue min pin with the same thing f. between 8-10 just try to keep them from getting to excited, i know its hard and scary, i have 2 grown girls and they both had asthma big time scared the bjesus out of me good luck brenda and the 4 pins.

Hunter's_owner
October 26th, 2006, 05:02 PM
A reverse sneeze is usually not associated with a bacterial or viral infection. My beagle Cassie has this as well. Before I knew what it was it was really scary, but now I know what it is, and I usually just hold her mouth together and rub her neck and she stops. This is what the vet suggested because they usually stop doing it after they swallow.
Cassie has times when she does this a lot and then a time may pass when she doesn't do it for a week or more. When she is doing it a lot I give her an anti-histamine as well.

As for the coughing, etc., I am not sure about it, but as long as you are seeing a vet tomorrow, then it should be figured out then.

But I do understand how scary reverse sneezing is.

NachoBoots
October 26th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I'm happy you know what it is....is it common in beagles? My pups are both part beagle. I thought it may be the pug in them, but Maybe it's the beagle? So it's till they swallow? I hear if you hold their nostrils, they are forced to breathe through their mouths? I just read that today.

Hunter's_owner
October 26th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah when the dog swallow it stops, or it should.

It is caused by the flap that closes off the nose when you swallow. If you think about swallowing and feel what happens in the back of your throat, then its that flap (the uvula and soft plalate actually) that move to close off your nose.

Anyways...In reverse sneezing, this soft palate relaxes and causes this reaction to occur. So if the dog is forced to swallow, then it usually works by causing the soft palate to get back to work (so to speak). A couple times with my dog, I have had to make her swallow a couple of times before she stopped.

Closing off the nose usually works too.

I'm not sure about whether it is common in beagles, but I have heard about it in Pugs before.

pug lover
October 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
this is very common with pugs however i believe that a vets opinon on what is wrong with the dogs is best

let us know what the vet says

what type of poochie u got anyways,

OntarioGreys
October 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
The reverse sneeze can occur in all breeds long and short nosed, sometimes allergy related but often just related to just getting dust or pollen up the nose, and as mentioned some dogs do it when they get excited, if you recently had turned on the furnace could have been just the dry air and dust combo that could have triggered. I have noticed it seems to occur more often in small dogs (possibly being closer to the ground they breathe in more dust kicked up/disturbed from carpeting.