Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescued kitten acts "drunk" or like it has parkinsons

hunthicks
October 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been rescueing kittens from my neighborhood for some time now, and just this past week found several kittens and there mother.
One of the kittens is energetic, purrs, eats and drinks plenty, and is strong, BUT, it shakes when it sits (Like an elderly person with Parkinson's Disease), and while it can get around, and can run, climb, play, eat, drink and acts like nothing is wrong etc, it stumbles like it's drunk a lot, and falls over while walking. I'd estimate it's age at 6 - 8 weeks, and it's two siblings do not have these symptoms. These symptoms have been constant since I found this kitten over a week ago.
I need some info, cause 1. I'm on a *very* limited budget, and feeding my own cats, plus taking care of rescued kittens that need homes, and feeding strays, comes to more then what I spend on myself for food each month - so, I cannot afford a vet bill(Save maybe a prescription if a vet is generous - which never happens). But if this is serious, I will see if I can find someone to help the poor little bugger.
So, please, any info you can give me will help the little guy i've nicknamed "Stumbles"
Thanks!!

Prin
October 26th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Sorry, but I think this one definitely needs a vet visit.

~michelle~
October 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM
he needs to go to the vet immediately

the gang
October 26th, 2006, 06:05 PM
this does not sound good vet visit in order it could be inner ear or something else i have my fingers crossed good luck come back with updat brenda and the pins.:angel:

BMDLuver
October 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Most likely neurological damage as a result of panleukopenia while inutero.. Could also be damage due to severe mites which can become neurological in nature. Either way, I would figure it out or find someone who can assist you to pay for a consult as it may end up that the kitten needs pts.

heyjude11
October 27th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I agree that it is likely a neurological disorder. I have seen a number of kittens with varying degrees of what you describe. Some shake, exhibit jerky movements, some fall over. I have been following the progress of a kitten brought to our shelter in the summer. She cannot use her back legs. Despite this, she is a happy, sweet and lovable 3 month old who has learned to use the litter box, and has just been adopted. The name of this condition is cerebellar hypoplasia. It is a condition affecting the part of the brain that is responsible for motor function. Most cats with this condition can live happily as pets with a little extra care. They should be an only pet, altho' I have an acquaintance who adopted two such kittens together.
However, I agree with the others that this kitten should be seen by a vet. I could be way off the mark, and it could be something as simple as an inner ear problem.
Thank you for taking in these rescues. It takes a big heart and yes, unfortunately, a lot of money. I used to help with a small feral colony and I know where you're coming from. There were many weeks when the grocery money went to the care of the ferals.
Best of luck.