Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pre cushings disease

sparrow13
October 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM
This question is really for a friend of mine, I cant even remember her breed of dog, only that it is a small breed and is 6 years old. I am familiar with Cushing's disease in horses, but not familiar with it in dogs. I know it is with caution that anyone suggest the use of holistic remedies for animals, however a horse I know has pre-Cushings disease and has been spared from further progression by the use of Chaste tree berries. I guess what I am wondering is if anyone has used the berries for dogs. Supposedly fruit is safe for dogs to eat. My concern is that my friend's dog may be suffering from Cushings or pre-Cushings and she will not be able to afford the treatment that can run up to $100 monthly. If there were any suggestions as to what could assist to keep this dog comfortable, I would appreciate it.

jawert1
October 26th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Your best bet is to find a holistic vet that can direct you as to what tincture or extract to use, if your friend chooses to go with a homeopathic remedy. There's more to it than just adjusting for weight between a horse sized dose and a small dog sized dose.

sparrow13
October 26th, 2006, 01:40 PM
How does one go about finding a holistic vet? I would be surprised to find one around here, it is hard enough finding vegetarian food........LOL:confused:

jawert1
October 26th, 2006, 03:31 PM
oh my gosh, you're in Northern VA too! Wow, small world, I'm right in Leesburg. To answer you're question, there's a place in Vienna, VA and another in Clifton, VA (depending on where in NoVA you are), which I can pm you once you've gotten a few more posts under your belt (not to nag but pictures help that :))

sparrow13
October 26th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I am in Centreville, close to Clifton...........I am not really technologically inspired, I have no idea how to post photos..........I wish I did cause my girls, all 4, are too cute. Thanks:cat: