Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

very stuborn dog

jamie ransom
February 23rd, 2004, 10:51 AM
My name is jamie. I have a 9mos old black lab and hound cross. over the last couple of months he has become increasingly stuborn and has taken to chasing cars. I have tried various types of disipline but to no avail. When he is off his leash he turns his nose on and his ears off. Are there any solutions to my problem other that shock collars or is this just a phase puppies go through?

amaruq
February 23rd, 2004, 10:57 AM
Jamie I have some bad news for you. You are gonna have to keep the dog on a leash no matter what! I have the same problem and discussed this with many people....have tried everything in my power to change it......but they have such a high drive to chase. Why some dogs are like that who knows.

I have done one thing that has given her some freedom is i found a dog park outside of the city. No traffic to encourage her chase instinct. Might be an idea for you?

But if you don't want the dog in traffic....keep it on a leash. Oh wait one more thing I use is a long lead...I have a 20 ft so she can go and sniff around and still trot along.

Good luck!

mona_b
February 23rd, 2004, 11:14 AM
I have to agree with amaruq.

You need to keep pup on a leash till this is fully corrected.

What methods of disipline are you using on him?

Just need a bit more info on what you have been doing to try and correct this.

LavenderRott
February 23rd, 2004, 11:42 AM
I would suggest an obedience class.

The other thing you may want to remember is that your pup is a hunting dog. Hunting dogs hunt things.

When teaching come, you should never use the word come unless you are in a position to make the dog come when called. Everytime you say "come" and the pup goes the other way, you are teaching the dog that come is optional.

If you go to a feed store, you should be able to find a lunge line that they use for horses. I believe they come in 20' and 30' lengths. This would give your pup some room to run yet still give you some control.

Carina
February 23rd, 2004, 12:18 PM
Well, ditto on what the others said! Many many dogs can't be trusted offleash 100% - the best trained sighthound (like Greyhounds) can NEVER be off leash because they have such a high prey drive - they'll respond to anything moving. One of my Rotties is like this - he'll recall beautifully 95% of the time. But if he sees a deer, rabbit, another dog...well, forget about it! He's off. I use 20 or 30' lines for him. Most dogs would love to romp free, but hey they are dogs - and being leashed is better than becoming road pizza. :)

And ditto on increasing training & fun obedience classes - he's coming into his teens; many dogs (especially males) are going to be more willing to get disobedient at this age. Obedience classes are inexpensive & fun.

You have to make him WANT to come to you - if he's happily off sniffing & exploring interesting things, you must make yourself be more interesting. Otherwise, why would he bother?
Here's a great article:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/clk9910.html