Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Piggy cats

crazyk1020
October 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Okay so my boys seem to be little piggies. Every time I even walk into the kitchen or towards it they freak out and start their screaming for food. I can't even cook dinner without them constantly under my feet (and I mean that literally). I have tripped over them and acually hurt my ankle and knees a few times. They are fed wet food twice a day and dry twice a day (same schedule as always) and even immediately after being fed if I go out there they act like they haven't been fed in weeks. I can't leave anything cooking on the stove unless I am out there because they jump right up there and start eating out of the pan (literally again) :yuck: . If my husband comes home right after they eat they are ten times worse because he is new and may feed them (at least that's what I think they are thinking) ;) . If I put them in the basement while I am cooking they freak out even more climbing on the door, scratching the door, and yowling. They don't have worms they were just tested. I really am at my wits end with this obsession over food. At first I thought it was because of the shelter but we have had them for a year, and honestly it wasn't even this bad when we first got them, it has been getting worse. They can't possibly be hungry 24 hours a day can they :confused: They are by no means starving if you get my drift ;) They are getting good food, I feed eagle pack, natural balance, or nutro. They also get cooked chicken, fish, tuna, or hard boiled eggs once a day with their wet meal. Does anyone else's cats obsess like this and what can I do to "curb" their hunger? Thanks guys!

jawert1
October 26th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Congratulations, you have problem solving cats :D My dogs do this too, I head towards the kitchen and Simon starts bounding in place (jumping up and down in one spot, only getting about 12 inches of air underneath him). Peaches will make an attempt to block me from leaving (I have a galley kitchen with one entrance), and will only do so if I get stern or give them a cookie (I'm a softie so cookie it is). They seem to get more forceful about it after our walks, since I feed them 30 minutes afterwards (morning, lunch and dinner). Peaches has actually managed to trip both of my parents, who overtreat and overfeed anyway, when they go up to gramma and grandpas (my folks actually call themselves that now :p) Honestly, if they're healthy, and the vet's not complaining about their weight, there's not much you can do but pride yourself on having such smart kitties :angel:

dogcatharmony
October 26th, 2006, 01:44 PM
lol i know how u feel....im a owner of 2 ( nine year old) "piggy cats" too.:D i cant even sneek the can opener out of the drawer without them magically appearing at the counter........if i am cooking chicken they guard the oven. mr nosey almost got shut in the fridge because he could not resist inspecting the food in there!!! i just grin and bear it........oh and sneak them a treat or two while im at it. Guess this isnt good advice....but cats will be cats (at least that is what they tell me:evil: ) oh and if they get to wound over the food i give them both cat nip........gets them out of my hair and it seems to curb my cats appetite ( lol they get no munchies )

ByronsMum
October 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I agree with jawert. Catnip does WONDERS to keep them out of your hair for a while...when I rub catnip on their scratch post, they go craaaazy :crazy: rubbing themselves all over it! And then once they are done, they get that "stoned and mellow" look and just lie there with their eyes half open! teehee!! :D

I hear ya dogcatharmony about the can opener. For me though, it is once they hear me opening a can of ANYTHING...soup, cat food, tuna, whatever! Even Paddy (aka Mr. Tubby) find the energy to bound over and let out a resounding MEEEOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

My advice would be the same as the others...as long as they are healthy and your vet has no concerns, :cat::cat: will be :cat::cat:

crazyk1020
October 26th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys at least I know that I am not alone...I was hoping there were more piggy kitties out there :D . I think I have the .01% of cats that do not like cat nip, they dont' even bat an eye when I bring fresh stuff in from outside. They look at it and then look at me as if to say "and what are we suppose to do with that" ;) But I agree I will just have to :D and bare it. But I don't like twisting my ankles or worse yet being tripped with a knife in my hands. "Fatfat" is the worst, hence the nickname. They have their yearly on Nov 9th so I will double check with the vet about their weights then. They are just so goofy and obsessed it makes me laugh, I am so glad we decided to get them a year ago. :love: Anyways here's to all those :cat: and :dog: out there who are just little piggies! Take care all and if you have any stories about "piggies" I love hearing them it brightens my day.

dogmelissa
October 26th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Oh, Piggy Cat in my house!!! Taz came to me as a 4 wk old kitten--could barely walk he was so young and his whole body fit in the palm of my hand. Now, at 3.5 yrs old, he weighs 21 lbs (and that is down 2 lbs from summer!), and actually *is* hungry 24/7 (he's on a diet!).
He's never been so brave (or able) to jump up on the counters when I'm cooking, but he is tall enough that he can reach up and grab things right on the edge with his paws, or knock them off. He also stalks "the girls" (2 9 yr old cats, not on a diet) because he's mad that they have free access to their food but he can't get at it (magnetic cat door). We've had a few bad episodes because of that, actually.

When I started Taz on his diet, he was so stressed by it that he was over-grooming his front legs (bald!). Then I figured out if I give him 2 large tbsp of canned pumpkin, 1 tbsp plain yogurt and 1 tbsp canned cat food (+ herbal stress reliever + catnip cause the herbal stuff makes him vomit otherwise) all mixed up, then he's neither stressed nor quite as hungry. The pumpkin fills up his tummy without having a lot of calories or fat, so he doesn't gain weight. I'm also looking at getting an automatic feeder, as the second it's a machine that feeds the animals, then they start to understand that they won't get any extra or when they demand it, by bothering the humans. The only treats that Taz gets from me are the very rare bit of something I'm cooking (only when he *behaves* and sits nicely waiting for it), lots of pets, brushing & cuddles. I don't give him "cookies" or other treats because he's too demanding for food and picks on the girls when his tummy gets a "tease".
For kitties that get up on the counter... you really ought to train them not to (tin cans with pennies, other boobie traps), because they really could hurt themselves. And kitties (or other pets) that get underfoot should be trained not to as well, because both you and they can get hurt--and how would you drive them to the vet after falling on them when you've broken your leg and need to go to the hospital?? It's horrible, but you might have to let them yowl and throw tantrums in the basement if you ever want them to learn. Don't let them out until they're quiet and eventually they'll learn that all that noise and fuss doesn't get them out, it's being good and quiet that does. I have 3 cats and a dog, and my cats are all smarter than my dog (it took me a year to house train my dog to ring a bell, my cat learned that ringing the bell means the door gets opened and figured out how to tell me he wanted to go out).

See my other thread (as soon as I get it up) to see if you might want to consider an auto feeder, too.

Melissa

crazyk1020
October 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks dogmelissa. I have really tried training them to stay off the counters, but to no avail. I have booby trapped it excessivly and used a spray bottle and anything I could think of, but they just don't care, they still get up there. LittleMan will actually watch me walk upstairs to go on the computer and as soon as I get half way up the stairs will walk out into the kitchen and up on the counters he goes to investigate for any food. (sneaky little bugger) I have caught him numerous times and he jumps down and runs for the basement because he knows he isn't suppose to be up there. I really am open to any suggestions for different ways to train them to stay off. I have started letting them throw their tantrums in the basement while I'm cooking, because I am scared that one of these times they will knock the hot pan on top of themselves or burn themselves, or worse.

dtbmnec
October 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks dogmelissa. I have really tried training them to stay off the counters, but to no avail. I have booby trapped it excessivly and used a spray bottle and anything I could think of, but they just don't care, they still get up there. LittleMan will actually watch me walk upstairs to go on the computer and as soon as I get half way up the stairs will walk out into the kitchen and up on the counters he goes to investigate for any food. (sneaky little bugger) I have caught him numerous times and he jumps down and runs for the basement because he knows he isn't suppose to be up there. I really am open to any suggestions for different ways to train them to stay off. I have started letting them throw their tantrums in the basement while I'm cooking, because I am scared that one of these times they will knock the hot pan on top of themselves or burn themselves, or worse.

I have the exact same problem...in fact a few times they've gone and jumped up WHILE I was standing in the room not even two feet from them...

Funny thing is they only seem to do it when they're hungry...

They seem to like the sink too...:confused:

Sticky tape hasn't worked...spraying them with water became "fun" (crazy cats they are)...loud noises tend to get them off but not until we start stomping towards them...we've even tried growling at them (they lick our noses instead of running)...

If this keeps up I'm going to have to find a whole new set of dishes....they're breaking them all! Even if they're in the cupboards!

Megan