Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

i guess i own a odd dog....

dogcatharmony
October 26th, 2006, 11:12 AM
well finally an update on my picky eater..........zoe. for the last month and a bit we have been trying to change her food ( she is a dog chow lover) . i found a holistic vet to go to and have been following the advice she has given me...........but it has now been confirmed that my dog is one odd puppy. i tried to add some raw into her feeding schedule.......she either totally ignores it or takes it and hides it ( raw chicken is not a good thing to hide and be forgotten) she did like the raw turkey neck.......but when offered to her again she growled at it and walked away. i have tried different recipes.......she refuses to eat ( and when she is a hungry dog and wont eat she is a nasty dog). i was given a whole truck load of samples of holistic and high end food to try her on........no luck. oh i should add that my two cats have chosen a new food and they love it and are doing very well...and they co-operated the very first day:D . my new vet also told me to change how i feed her.........zoe is a picker ( she eats a few kibbles when ever she feels like it........she has never gobbled her food, and she has never slurped back a whole bowl in one sitting). we tried a new schedule.......i dont know who it was harder on, me or the dog. needless to say this failed also... so anyways she had a check up this morning.....and the vet and i both are weary from this. she is a happy healthy dog........the vet said that i should go back to feeding her what she was eating, she was staring to lose some hair and the vet said that is stress and there is no need to stress her anymore. i have supplements to give her that she takes no problem so that comforts me some. but as for ever getting her on a meatier food, it is official that it will never happen. makes me think of a comedian i just saw( dont remember his name) but he said now if dog food came in flavors that they the dog loved i.e a 30lb bag of sun dried cat turd..........a dog would truely be happy:D

Lissa
October 26th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I haven't known many dogs like this but they are certainly out there! I wouldn't want to continue stressing her out either - I am glad you all gave it a go though!

My cat is the same way - its taken almost 3 years just to get her to eat 1/4 of a new and healthier kibble to 3/4 of the old filler kibble:rolleyes: Unlucky for her, I am about as stubborn as she is so I keep trying:p

dogcatharmony
October 26th, 2006, 08:28 PM
oh oh i just saw a commercial on tv that purina is changing their food........hope they dont change it too much or I dont know what i will do:shrug:

meb999
October 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
without switching to RAW, couldn't you feed a better quality kibble than Purina? You should check out the dog food forum...maybe if you make the switch REAL slow....
Alot of dogs prefer the taste of lower-end foods because they spray it with rancid fat...it tastes delicious :yuck:

Imagine if you had kids, if your kids liked patato chips better than veggies, would you let them eat only chips?

dogcatharmony
October 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM
meb...i appreciate your reply but this is an ongoing thing (2 years so far) if you have read any of my previous posts on this ( sorry but i am a little upset about the potato chip comment) i have tried many different foods.....eagle pack, summit, wellness, solid gold and the list goes on. i even took it upon myself to switch vets and try things from a different angle. i am not an irresponsible pet owner because my dog is beyond picky. and when the vet suggests that right now she go back to her regular food i agree especially when it is effecting the dog. i am not giving up.........if i can get my nine year old cats to change food there may be hope for the dog.:shrug:

Prin
October 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Have you tried Evo? Have you tried mixing some canned into the holistic food? Which Solid Gold did you try?

Sorry, but I see where meb is coming from. I know with my doggies, if they don't like one holistic food, I'm going to just keep trying until I find one they do like. They're not as picky as yours is, but they do like some kibbles more than others, and they're loving the Evo red meat right now.:shrug:

I also mix in some Merrick canned food, and will start mixing in Evo 95% meat food soon. :shrug:

meb999
October 26th, 2006, 10:15 PM
sorry, I didn't mean to offend you :o

I've had a really rough time with Buster, I've been picking up liquid poo forever (actually, basically since we got him -- over a year ago) because he has a sensitive tummy. The only time his poops were ok was on a low-end food. I tried RAW with disasterous results. So I see where you're coming from.... Have you tried EVO? Most dogs go insane over it, plus it has no grains, so it's easier to digest :shrug:

dogcatharmony
October 27th, 2006, 08:30 AM
sorry about yesterday.......i am a bit frustrated. Zoe will not eat any canned food:shrug: ive tried and tried but it just gets hard and crusty . i cannot remember what solid gold i tried ( i remember it had three meats ) that was last year. ive tried Merricks ( the ones you can add water to or serve dry), in all the pet stores ive gone into i havent seen EVO so i dont know if it available here. i just tried "chicken soup for the dog" and Wellness super 5 Mix chicken. ive also tried 5 different kinds of eagle pack. now here is what i find really odd........i fed my cat science diet and Zoe use to raid the cats bowl constantly...she would even get up in the middle of the night to eat the cats food. I just switched over to Wellness for the cats and Zoe will not even go near the bowl now.:shrug: i even offered her a few kibbles and she would not eat them. What do you make of that?????

meb999
October 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM
out of all the foods I've tried, there were a few (Eagle Pack comes to mind) that he didn't want to eat. I usually added either a teaspoon of canola oil or a few pieces of caned tuna or some fish oil (they go CRAZY for fish oil, the stinkier the better), and that got him eating :shrug: Plus, those are all healthy additions to the food :thumbs up

technodoll
October 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
like they say.... a food is only as good as the dog will eat it :shrug: i stopped breaking my head (and the bank, wasting food) with my picky boy. he will be 3 years old soon and is in bitchin' great health because we decided to bypass his "i'm not eating this and i'm gonna starve myself" attitude the hard way. Morning meals are home-made ground raw and fed to him (yep he sits, we shovel the food down his throat) and it takes less than a minute to drop a pound or two of excellent nutrition down his gullet, he actually likes the attention, i know... sometimes we mix holistic kibble in there, sometimes not... and more often than not, he eats his evening raw meals out on the balcony with his sister, now that the weather is cool, it's perfect. if he snubs his dinner (happens sometimes), we'll again feed him like the big baby that he is :shrug:

it is worth it for us. he went from a bone-thin, lethargic and mopey dog to a thick, heavy, pure-muscle boy with tons of energy and incredible good mood in two months. it's maybe drastic but for now, it's how we're doing it and it works beautifully :pawprint:

dogcatharmony
October 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM
okay today i made turkey soup..........zoe loves the broth and will actually eat the veggies out ( i hate onions so there are none in the broth and i dont add salt) so now i have a question........is this ok to feed her?? I know she loves fish oil.....her and the cat have wars over that but i only give them tuna oil once in a blue moon, but if i pour it on food she walks away. i just want to add some better stuff for her if all she is going to eat is dog chow. And the funny thing is that if the food i give her fills her up she will not eat any kibble, no problem with her overeating. so i have three thing so far i KNOW she likes, turkey, turkey broth and turkey necks....but can i feed them to her all the time?? thanks for the input...and just out of curiosity, techno, how do you force feed a dog????:confused:

papillonmama
October 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Dory hated the old mother hubbard kibbles with the dehydrated veg in it, she was like this:yuck: and I can honestly say I didn't blame her, it looked like a space explorers dinner gone bad.

Dory also attacks cat food, so I have to put a baby gate on the kitchen door at night, the cats can get to their food, but she can't.

How about a fish or turkey type kibble? Or even one of those vegetarian type diets? I can't say I've ever tried it, but you never know, maybe she's vegan.:o

technodoll
October 27th, 2006, 02:49 PM
so i have three thing so far i KNOW she likes, turkey, turkey broth and turkey necks....but can i feed them to her all the time?? thanks for the input...and just out of curiosity, techno, how do you force feed a dog????

are you feeding the turkey cooked, or raw? (i ask because of the turkey necks). any diet needs a variety to provide proper nutrients so i would say "no", feeding only turkey is not balanced long-term...

how to force-feed a dog? the bigger the dog, the easier it is! have the dog sit and stand in back so that your legs stop the dog from sliding away from you (better traction on carpet). also if the dog leans back, throat up, it's the perfect position to drop a golf-sized ball (or tennis ball-sized, if your dog has a huge throat like ours does, LOL) of food in there. food is the consistency of raw meatloaf, sometimes wetter, sometimes drier. scoop food with one hand, open dog mouth with other hand, drop food in back of the tongue, close mouth and stroke the throat. it's like giving a big pill :D

honestly, it takes us about 1 minute to feed a big bowl of food, dakotah's used to it now and cooperates amazingly, he likes the attention i think! after feeding we praise like crazy, he dances around and gets a cookie for dessert (he loves milkbones over anything else). he is so bloody healthy these days, we don't know what to do with him, LOL! :D

dogcatharmony
October 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM
techno thanks for the info..........the turkey necks are raw but the turkey breast is cooked. the only other thing she shows interest in is raw pork chops. when i take them out to bbq she will steal one off the plate if im not watching but i now nothing about raw pork and dogs. She also will not eat raw or seared chicken....but turkey is a bit yes. I think she would sell her soul for a whole turkey that is how much she loves it. and because the last little while i have been reading as much as i can on here about different food and raw diets, ive noticed about grocery store or butcher quality. I have always got any of the meat i eat from our butcher. once again thanks so much.

technodoll
October 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM
raw pork is perfectly safe to feed to dogs, as long as you get "human grade" stuff... anything from the grocery store and the butcher is great, make sure it's fresh though. if in doubt, you can even freeze the meat for a few days, but it's not necessary. so if you girl wants and likes pork, go ahead! rather feed roasts (chunks of meat attached to bones, fat removed), meaty ribs, etc. go ahead and get those whole turkeys when they're on sale, get a cleaver and chop up in meal-size pieces, let your girl have fun! even if you only feed her a few raw meals per week (of meat and bones she does like), it will help balance out the dog chow :)

mummummum
October 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
You mentioned tuna oil so long as it's not on the kibble but what about tuna itself ? Declan and Ceili were eating canned tuna and salmon pretty much exclusively (along with rice or tatty's and select veg's) before Timberwolf finally came to Toronto. Salmon like turkey can get a bit rich though. And I apologize if you've mentioned this but what about cottage cheese and eggs as protein sources? You've got my full sympathies, I've got fussy-tummies and picky eaters. Luckily my 3rd dawg will eat rocks so she always got the "leftovers". Good wishes in finding the "happy diet" for Zoe:fingerscr !

Lump of Kohl
October 29th, 2006, 08:16 PM
What about timing his food time. My picky eater was bad for a while but I was advised to put the food down for ten minutes then pick it up. I was so fustrated I did five minutes(which means there are times when I have picked it up with his nose in it) and it worked wonders. They get the message after a few weeks. It gets scary to keep picking up uneaten bowls especially when its little dogs(I dont' know what you have but mine are only 8lbs) but it saves fustration later. There are some times when he won't eat but I have found that is when I have given them a bone to entertain them (I swear I am going to find that he has eaten his way through the bone and gotten stuck).

dogcatharmony
October 30th, 2006, 02:40 PM
just an update.............i think (keep my fingers crossed) we may have found a food that zoe is interested in. it is called Canine Plus. and from reading the ingredients it is a heck of alot better than what she is eating now. The very first ingredient is Fresh Chicken. I know it is not a top quality food but it is progress. Maybe i can add a different food a little down the road.:fingerscr So with getting a bit of fresh turkey and pork i feel much better about her diet. I would like to thankyou all for the feedback........and lots of thanks to techno, you have given wonderful info !!!

technodoll
October 30th, 2006, 04:06 PM
oh that is such wonderful news! clapping and cheering you on, girl! :highfive:

and good luck hun! :fingerscr