Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello, new Irish setter on board!

Aodhan
October 26th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Hi gang,

I've been reading the forum for a number of months now and I have finally decided to join!

I would first like to apologize for the lack of decent picture of the canine (software issues).

Aodhan is the name of a 6-yr old Irish Setter, charming but not overly obedient (well, with a 'master' like me, how could he...:D ), in good health and always ready for a walk or a run. Wags his tail (and butt) like a Golden Retriever or a Lab...

His background is unknown (I'm not the first guardian and he was posted as a giveaway at the local grocery store (move issue) a little more than 2 yrs ago), but he probably comes from a BYB or, worse, a puppymill. Previous owner seemed to have taken relatively good care of him (not sure about the food but was surely a somewhat spoiled house dog).

He's fixed, eats Innova and some supplements for some minor coat issues and joints (I suspect he has mild HD). Hates to be bathed (he cringes at the sight of the garden hose which had to use when he got skunked) or to have his ears cleaned but there is not a mean bone in this boy (not true, he can't stand pesty or rambunctious young dogs and has been seen snapping them without prior warning but that's his only issue and it's a situation I try to avoid). Like many setters, he prefers the company of people to that of dogs, though gets excited every time he hears or sees a squirrel. Alas, he's also interested in skunks so the leash must be on every evening and no more 'last 50 ft to home' leash-free.

There is also a cat (actually, two) to complete the picture: Mao, the velcro black Oriental with the melodramatic meow, and Vindaloo, the 'don't-come- near-me-with-medicine-or-a-towel' black Exotic mix, also known as the janitor's best friend as he's fascinated by brooms and vacuum cleaners!

Personnally, I'm a bit of a pet food freak (so I'll surely post a bit in that section) and I'm involved in rescue, though much less than before.

I love tall dogs and working dogs (hunting, herding, etc.); hey, I'd pick up hunting just for the dog (please don't flame me for this as we probably need hunters to salvage a few of the breeds, such as the Irish Red Setter and the Weimaraner, and hunting is no worse than the slaughterhouse or the dubious additives or GMOs we find in our food).

More later!

Prin
October 26th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Welcome to the board! There are a lot of us food freaks here.:D I hope you can somehow manage to post some pics eventually.;)

erykah1310
October 26th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Hi and welcome, Icant wait to see some pictures, but im gonna have to right! lol

As far as taking up hunting for the dogs, I hear ya. I love to see a dog who is bred for something actually doing that! ( with the exception of Boar fights and so on)

I would love to have a Cocker Spaniel who actually was trained for retrieval, would be fun to compete in those trials.

Anyways I hope to see some pics ( as said earlier) and hope to chat with you later on!

phoenix
October 26th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I'm sorry that I can't agree with you at all on the hunting thing. There are many more couth activities for dogs and their owners than killing other living things. Maybe you could hunt with a camera.

But, that said, I really enjoyed reading your descriptions of your family...you are such a talented writer that I forgive you for the lack of pics!! Love their names, too.

Welcome to the board.

jawert1
October 26th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Welcome! I can't wait to see your pics, I grew up with a female Irish Setter who was my nanny, best friend, and companion in trouble for years :)

hazelrunpack
October 26th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Welcome Aodhan! I love settes...any setters... all setters! I hope you get a chance to post pics soon. Irish setters are so regal! :cloud9: I'm ruled by setters...but mine are all English. Setters rock! :highfive:

meb999
October 26th, 2006, 03:10 PM
HA! I was just about to post that Hazel's gonna loooove seeing pics of your setters! :D

http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/18.gif to pets.ca Aodhan!

I also love the food forum, so I'll be seeing you around there :crazy:

Aodhan
November 4th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Well, I have found an old pic of the Irish fella; it was taken about 18 months old (he's now starting to show some white on his lower jaw). Has soon as I've got my digital camera software issue sorted out, I should be able to post more

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2006, 10:40 AM
What a grand-lookin' boy! Setters look so regal (even when they're pulling toilet paper off the roll and running down the hall with a long streamer behind them...) :D He's gorgeous! (Are Irish pups as mischievous as English are?)

Can't wait to see more pics! I hope you get your digital software up and running soon :thumbs up (Thanks for the setter fix.:D )

Frenchy
November 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Beautiful setter :cloud9: I'll be expecting more pics :D

Prin
November 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Very cute doggy. Very sophisticated looking.:)

rainbow
November 4th, 2006, 07:37 PM
What a gorgeous boy he is. :cloud9:

And, don't worry about me flaming you for hunting. I've gone with my hubby a couple of times and we much prefer elk and moose meat to beef. :thumbs up The only hunters I don't agree with are the trophy hunters and the ones that have to take a six pack with them. :mad:

BTW, welcome to the forum. :D

rainbow
November 8th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Still waiting for updated pics of Aodhan. :D

Esaunders
November 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Welcome, from one setter owner to another.

I have an English but they are all so lovely...
Love the photo btw, very handsome boy.

Aodhan
December 1st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Still waiting for updated pics of Aodhan. :D

Well, I finally set up my high-speed connection, my other computer and got the software set up so I could recover pictures from the digital camera. Alas, it seems the action pictures are no longer to be found.

Aodhan, being a spoiled setter, acts comfortably distraught ;) in these pictures taken in a setting a bit foreign to our current wintry one. As soon as the weather gets better and there is some decent sunlight, I'll try to get some pictures of Aodhan in his 'did-I-see/hear/smell-a-squirrel' mode...:)

Hunter's_owner
December 1st, 2006, 12:44 PM
Welcome to the forum!!!

Aodhan sure is beautiful:cloud9: I haven't seen an Irish setter in such a long time. Thanks for the fix;) Please post more:pray: :o

hazelrunpack
December 1st, 2006, 02:13 PM
He's gorgeous! And he's got that regal look that everysetter, no matter what 'flavor', shares (at least when they're clean and in couch potato mode :D ). Beautiful!

TeriM
December 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Such a handsome dog! Welcome to the forum.

chico2
December 1st, 2006, 05:07 PM
He is stunning,love his red colour:thumbs up and of course we need more pics,including the cats:cat: :dog:

rainbow
December 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I don't know how I missed the new pics of Aodhan. :o He is such a handsome boy. :cloud9: