Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Licking paws

rascal64
October 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Hi, I have a 10 year old bordie collie. During the last 6 months, he is constantly licking his paws, to the point that they are always bright pink and sore at times. We had him to a vet who told us to use a medicated shampoo on his paws.. We have been using this for a few weeks, but no change....and suggestions?

Prin
October 25th, 2006, 10:45 PM
What are you feeding him? Maybe it's a food allergy.

erykah1310
October 25th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Could be several things, allergies, yeast infections ect..
I think you should consider going to a different vet, if it is that bad and red I cant think of why a vet would say try a shampoo???

Hope you can get this figured out, itchy paws must be horrible to live with.

coppperbelle
October 26th, 2006, 07:00 AM
There probably isn't another vet around for a couple of hundred miles as she lives in Newfoundland. I love Newfoundland. :)
Have you changed his food or treats lately? If not, did you notice a difference in the food you are feeding? Some companies change ingredients without letting their customers know. :(
At 10 years old your guy is a senior. They can become stressed over small things that didn't bother them before. As a result he may have started licking his paws and then it became a habit.

Hunter's_owner
October 26th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Hello fellow pets.ca member from Newfoundland.

It could be allergies, as previously said by the others. So you can think about whether there has been any change in food or treats.
Also, stress can be an issue.

My dog does this as well, and he also scratches his chin a lot. We have a shampoo from the vet for his chin, so I am wondering if it may be the same type of thing recommended for your dog's paws.

By the way, depends on where she is located in Newfoundland about getting another vet. Where I have lived there has always been a lot of choices about vets. But like everywhere else in Canada, a rural area of the province doesn't have as much available, so that may or may not be an option.

rascal64
October 26th, 2006, 09:28 AM
hi...thanks for the responses to my question.

The shampoo the vet gave us was call Nizoral, a medicated anti- dandruff shampoo that is suppose to kill fungus.

We did put Rascal on a new food earlier this year, but he hasn't had any of it for 4 weeks and still no change.

I just spoke to the vet and we have to take him back to see her next week. She wants to see him again, before she makes any other recommendations.

Hunter's_owner
October 26th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Hoepfully your vet can figure out what is going on without too much difficulty. :fingerscr
Does he lick both paws equally? Or just one?
Also, has he had any ear infections, or does he scratch any other places?

Just some q's that I had to answer about my dog,as he is a scratcher/paw licker as well :o

SuperWanda
October 26th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Like erykah said - could be something else but I thought I would just add my experience since I have a dog with a similar problem, licking her paws until they are raw and red, although she has had this problem since she was young.

The vet thought it was allergies and also gave me a medicated soap to use called Endure anti-bacterial soap. I think the reason for this wasn't to solve the problem but to prevent a skin infection because the paws were so raw.

I'm not sure what my dog is allergic to - dust, pollen, mold, grass, something in her food or maybe a combination???

I did change her food and she is really not having any problems right now but it is also getting colder so maybe she is not being exposed to a particular environmental allergen???

I also don't use chemicals outside or inside that may irritate.

If it is allergies, trial and error is the way I figure out what works best, with foods or even laundry detergents. I have to use the sensitive skin, fragrance free kind - she gets itchy if I wash her bed with something else. Things like grass, and pollen - unfortunately you can't really keep them away from that - so if it ever flares up I just try and keep her paws clean and dry to prevent infection. The vet has also prescribed anti-histamines for really bad boughts.

jawert1
October 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Do a comparison of the old food's ingredients list and the new one. You may find a similarity - like both have chicken or both have wheat. Try a food that has neither of those ingredients and see what happens then. There are a lot of great suggestions in the food forum here for doggies with allergies (I know Prin's Boo is allergic to chicken). Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon :) :pawprint:

Prin
October 26th, 2006, 01:21 PM
What has he been eating the last 4 weeks? Choosing a food for allergy doggies can be really difficult, especially if there is more than one allergy.

Golden Girls
October 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM
One of my retrievers also suffers with paw licking. Her paws don't seem to tolerate dirt causing sores between the toes. It doesn't help that she does alot of daily walking and running though. I soak her paws in a cap full of la Parasienne (very mild bleach) with 3 litres of warm water for about 5 minutes then dry completely twice daily. After I use a bacterial oitment between the toes and put on baby socks to protect them when she sleeps - it's work but it really helps tremendously :shrug:

I realize they don't sell Parasienne in Newfoundland but any mild javel water will work. Javex is too strong. Or you can use Epson salt. The idea is to disinfect while reducing the itching. It doesnt help as to why but it can be a temporary solution until you can find the problem. I hope this can help your lil guy :fingerscr