Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My new little pup is sick already

kimglenwood
October 25th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Help, my little girl "Jazz", (I changed her name) is nine weeks old and is scratching all the time (her brother is not at all) and her bum is a little disstended and red and she is having a hard time having a poop, my vet says she is just upset with her new surroundings and will all stabilize, what do you think, she doesn't have lots of hair like her brother, could she be itching because its growing in?? I tried pumpkin for her to have a bowel movement any other suggestions that are natural for her???Maybe I'm just a nervous mom???:fingerscr

mafiaprincess
October 25th, 2006, 09:17 PM
What are you feeding them?

kimglenwood
October 25th, 2006, 09:31 PM
i am feeding them Medi Cal for puppies, do you think she is allergic?? She has just begun some sneezing but was on this food all along. Her brother seems just fine from the food and such, maybe she is allergic to something in my home??? Is that possible for puppies??

Prin
October 25th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Medical isn't the best... IMO, it could very well be the cause.:o

kimglenwood
October 25th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Really, what one could be better for her, she seems so sluggish, I'd like to get her perky again???

Prin
October 25th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Has she been to the vet? You might want to take her in asap just to be sure it's not a puppy disease...:o

For puppy foods, I like this one:
http://www.omhpet.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixPuppy
Or the Canidae all life stages one is great too.

You might have to try a few before you find one that your doggy isn't allergic to (if what we are dealing with is allergies at all).

kimglenwood
October 25th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks Prin, I'll look into changing her diet, she was at the vet the first day she was home, Monday, and I'm taking her back tomorrow to make sure it isn't anything serious as her brother and littermates have different problems and she is the smallest of the pack, only 1/2 pound, so she needs to go whenever she is having a problem, for tonight she is besdie me all night and isolated from her brother just in case. She's sleeping peacefully now and did just manage to poop quite a bit so I think thats good, but it hurts her when she goes as she whines a little.

badger
October 25th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Get the vet to give you some salve for her bum. 1/2 lb, half the weight of a brick of butter, I'd be all thumbs..

kimglenwood
October 25th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks Badger, thats a good idea, poor thing, her bum is soooo tiny, but I'll try to get some on her to help her:sick:

papillonmama
October 26th, 2006, 08:40 AM
oh don't you hate the scratchies. That's the very reason I found this site, luckily I found my solution, my dog is allergic to chicken, after the vet visit, do a search on here about allergies, there's lots of great information. Prin is the allergy kibble guru.:thumbs up

It could also be the season, even though the itchies are pretty much controlled, I noticed that my dog just gets itchy in the winter.

Love the name, "Jazz" so cute.:love:

BMDLuver
October 26th, 2006, 05:41 PM
As you have very tiny ones at home, you should have a hypoglycemic kit. Speak to your vet about it tomorrow when you meet. Also, take a warm soft towel and gently rub her bottom to stimulate a bowel movement. Try about a 1/4tsp of pumpkin with 2 drops of mineral oil on it.. it helps to lubricate so to speak and is something we add to puppies formula.

kimglenwood
October 26th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks papillonmama, it took me a while to get a good name that fits her great personality,
Thanks Bmdluver, I already got a kit for them before they arrived but I will try the pumpkin recipe for sure, she seems afraid to go now because it hurts so hopefully that will help her.......I found out that it is probably Sulphur she is allergic too as the vet could smell it on both of them and me, my husband works at a sulphur plant and it makes me sneeze and have scratches too, her bowel movements he thought were just from the upset of the move into my home and should settle in their own way,
Unfortunately my husband had brought home lots of newspaper from work which probably caused her problems, when I got home this morning I cleaned everything and used store bought papers and she is already much better tonight, no sneezes and very little scratching so thats probably what it was, now my husband will have to leave his work clothes in the back porch and shower thoroughly before touching the little ones and we should be okay, he's even going to park the truck in a better spot so theres no residual left overs when I have to take it with the pups!

Angies Man
October 27th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Read about your pup's food problems, I guess I'd supplement her diet with milk supplement (get it from the pet store), a little canned salmon or tuna (if she'll eat it), a very little brown rice, a teaspoon of canola oil or some fish oil, a vitamin/mineral supplement & and digestive enzymes.

She is so tiny, I'd keep her in a smallish crate or rubbermaid tub--with a heating pad underneath (heating pad on lowest setting on the rug, a folded up blanket on top of the heating pad and then the tub on top of that.) Lots of towels in the tub with her so she can have a nest. And have her curl up with her brother if possible.

I think the benefit of having her with her brother (the calming and comfort) would outweigh isolating them. You want her to feel safe, warm, and calm.

Keep the Vet in the loop, too.

Good luck:thumbs up

kimglenwood
October 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks Angies man, I will definitely try those things out, I have her brother back with her now and she is doing a lot better, I only wanted to separate them that first night just in case she had something a lot more serious. She is so tiny and delicate but full of personality and she is back to her old self in pretty much all respects, I have ordered some of the food that Prin suggested but will defintiely try out your suggestions in the meantime...Thanks

Prin
October 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Good luck! I hope everything goes well. :):fingerscr

kimglenwood
October 27th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks prin and thnks for your suggestions:fingerscr

Angies Man
October 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM
By the way, what breed of puppies are they?

Nevermind, I looked at your other posts. Hope things go well with your two special puppies!

kimglenwood
December 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Hi I should have probably written back to let everyone know she is okay now and both my babies are just thriving!!!!!

And Prin, hope you're feeling better soon!!!:pray:

rainbow
December 4th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I am sorry that I somehow missed this thread until now. :o That is such good news to hear that they are thriving now. :highfive: We would love to see pics of them again. :thumbs up

BusterBoo
December 4th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Kim so glad Miss Jazz is doing good! :D We are still waiting for new pictures of your two precious babies (and Chica too!!!!!):)

Prin
December 5th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks.:o

I'm glad your babies are doing well. Any new pics? :)

kimglenwood
December 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys, heres some taken awhile ago, they are on the webcam, am praying for a digital camera for Christmas and will share some better ones. Both my Miss Jazz and Bo are doing wonderfully, he is taking less and less meds no seizures for awhile and is a great candidate for a shunt as his learning capablities and his will for life are so strong, I honestly don't see much difference with him or his sister except he has a much larger head, both are so loving, my big girl Chica, is a pom she loves her new little friends as much as I do!! I will get her pic on the next time I post!!:cloud9:

kimglenwood
December 6th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Hers my 3 yr old chica!!!:)

Prin
December 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Very cute! I'll hope for a digicam for you too.:D

rainbow
December 6th, 2006, 10:38 PM
They are just so adorable. :cloud9:

kimglenwood
December 7th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks Prin and Rainbow, I think so too, of course, I'm highly prejudiced about them,lol,lol.:D

Caney
December 8th, 2006, 03:56 PM
they are so cute, and really glad that jazz is doing better now

chico2
December 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I remember you now,with the 2 Chi's,one who is seriously ill:sad:
I am glad they are both doing well and looking good,your little Pom is adorable.
I was given a free bag of Medical for my cats from my vet,the ingredients are bad,I did not feed it to my cats,but"my" 3 Crows loved it:D

Inverness
December 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I remember you now,with the 2 Chi's,one who is seriously ill:sad:
I am glad they are both doing well and looking good,your little Pom is adorable.
I was given a free bag of Medical for my cats from my vet,the ingredients are bad,I did not feed it to my cats,but"my" 3 Crows loved it:D

Chico, next time give the food to a cat shelter ! They will say yes ! (I know I would anyways) ;)

chico2
December 8th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Inverness,I often buy an extra bag of food for HS,when I buy it for my cats,not always the same expensive food,but still..
I also had a bunch of Merrick canned food my cats would not eat and I brought them too to HS,plus blankets and other stuff.
The Medical bag was only a small one,a bit bigger than a sampler.
Whatever I can I will do to help them out,trust me:)

Inverness
December 8th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Inverness,I often buy an extra bag of food for HS,when I buy it for my cats,not always the same expensive food,but still..
I also had a bunch of Merrick canned food my cats would not eat and I brought them too to HS,plus blankets and other stuff.
The Medical bag was only a small one,a bit bigger than a sampler.
Whatever I can I will do to help them out,trust me:)

Oh, I didn't mean it that way Chico, not suggesting you don't help, it's just that some people don't think HS will accept food. :o

kimglenwood
December 8th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks Chico for your comments on my furbabies, I ordered the food Prin suggested and it is working beautifully, they are both growing by leaps and bounds and full of energy, my little guy Bo doesn't even have a clue how sick he should be, he's a real little character. I just have to be very careful with his head, his fontanel is wide open, very large

Prin
December 8th, 2006, 07:05 PM
:highfive: Awesome! The good news just keeps coming.:cloud9:

LibbyP
December 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I am very glad to read they are both doing so well, I love the more recent pics of your 3 furkids, they are darlings, hope you get the camera for Christmas :fingerscr so we can see more pics :)

kimglenwood
December 11th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks LibbyP Very nice of you to say and yes, I am crossing my fingers for a good camera to show off how cute they are running playing together!!:pray: