Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog pain comes and goes?

JEFFBEAL
February 23rd, 2004, 01:37 AM
About 4 weeks ago I noticed that my Dalmatian let out short yelps when I walked by him while in the house. It appeared that he was helping when he turned his neck quickly as I walked by. This was very out of character for him and I took him to the vet the next day. However when we were at the vet he did not show any symptons of pain (yelping) and he appeared to be his normal self. I had a urine test done and based on the urine test the vet asked to do a blood test because he was concerned about the dog's kidneys. I took him in for the blood test the same day and the vet informed me that the blood test did not show any problems or concerns. My vet was not able to give me any ideas as to why the dog was yelping since the dog appeared to be normal by the next day when he went to the vet. The dog still seems to be asking to go outside a little more than his normal frequency for the last 10 years but he had not yelped again until today.

His energy level was obviously less than normal today and I discovered that he had the same symptons that he had a few weeks ago. This is when I noticed that when I tried to pick him up he yelped (shortly) and appears to be suffering the same symptons of pain that he had a few weeks ago. I also noticed that he did not want to jump up on the bed which he normally does frequently every day.

I typically walk the dog once or twice a day from 2 to 3 miles. Is there any chance that walking/jogging him 5 miles caused him to suffer some muscle pains like you or I do when we over excercise?

I guess I'm looking for some ideas or advice on what else I could look for.

Thanks,

Jeff

Carina
February 23rd, 2004, 07:16 AM
Hmmm...impossible to tell from here of course, but I'm thinking a pinched nerve? That may or may not be discernible by an xray. Depending on the age of your Dal, that doesn't at all seem like excessive excerise...if he's 10+ maybe he's getting a bit of arthritis. Does he seem stiff sometimes?

Spondylosis is my other thought (could cause the pinched nerve.) I had a n older, very active Rottweiler get this...he had a cortisone shot in the spine which instantly relieved the pain. He was about 8, and I started cutting down on the long hikes after that; he was also getting arthritic.

I find it odd your vet did a urine test when presented with something that from what you describe sounds very much like a joint problem or muscle pull... :confused:

Spondylosis:
http://allsands.com/Pets/Dogs/whatisspondyl_alu_gn.htm

Hope that helps!

amaruq
February 23rd, 2004, 07:52 AM
Did your vet do a PH test to see if there are crystals in th urine? It's extremely painful for the dog. It's not a painful test as all they do is collect urine and put a test strip in.

http://www.thedca.org/dal_book.html

This has a little info on the stones.

Dals love to run!!! I have 1 1/2 Dalmatians One pure the other half. It quite possibly be a muscule injury as they go nuts when running.

Post pictures I love Dals One is the black the other is a Liver both Girls.