Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yet another House Training problem

livinonthedge
October 25th, 2006, 07:30 PM
My mother brought home a poodle/husky mix a couple of months ago. She is now about 4 months old. My mother is very busy taking care of my hadicapped father and doesn't always get the dog outside when she should. We realize that a more dedicated attempt to do that is necessary. A couple of weeks ago, she would stand right in front of my mother and pee on the kitchen floor. Then, she would run for the door because she knew that she was going to get to go outside. To stop this behaviour, we got after her and put her in her crate instead of outside. Now, she's trying something new. Sometimes, when we take her outside and tell her to go pee, she squats and appears to be peeing. I praise her and tell her what a good girl she is and often times give her a treat. As soon as we go back inside, however, she immediately runs somewhere (she's not picky) and pees a lake. I get after her and bring her back outside and show her where she is supposed to go. Is she just too stubborn and/or smart for us? Any suggestions?

Bearsmom
October 26th, 2006, 06:09 AM
I would suggest you or your mom stay right beside her until you see her go pee. Make sure she's taken out frequently (after eating, when she wakes up, any time after she's been in her crate, etc). Dogs cannot potty train themselves, they need your assistance.

Goldens4Ever
October 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I am right on with Bearsmom in that I would stay outside as long as it takes until she urinates--period! If the dog needs to go outside every 30 minutes or so, to show her that the games are over and you mean business, then that's what needs to be done. You stated yourself that because of the home situation, the dog doesn't get outside as often as need be. The consistent training needed to start right away. If the lifestyle in your parents home was not conducive to the attentive needs of a puppy, then they shouldn't have got one. I know that is harsh, but that is practical and only doing what's just and fair to the dog. Does she have time to provide the dog with other training, proper socialization skills and lots of play and exercise??? I hope that the dog doesn't just lay around all day and gets lots of attention and play to stimulate it's mind! And, what do you mean by you, "get after her?" I hope you don't mean that you discipline the dog for urinating in the house, because it sounds like your dog has not been properly trained to do otherwise. You and your family are going to have continual training problems because it doesn't sound like there is enough time for the young one. Unless training that dog is made a priority........ That's how it is with puppies and/or adult dogs that are not trained.

papillonmama
October 26th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Hmmm.... perhaps you could talk to your mother about getting a dog walker, to take the puppy out for a good afternoon walk, like a responsible neighborhood teenager.

It's probable that your puppy is just terribly confused about where it should go. Is it possible to get some of her pee onto a paper and bring that paper with you when you go outside, put the paper where you want puppy to go and it can make it easier for her to associate that spot with going pee. I got my dog at a year and she would hold her pee through our whole walk and then when we got inside she would pee everywhere. It was very frustrating, but after a while she finally got the idea. Starting early is key, otherwise you'll have a very large un-house-trained dog. I was lucky that Dory is a very small dog.

When she would pee in the house, I wouldn't repremand her, because it would always be too late, what I would do is while I was cleaning up the mess I would kind of grumble and if she came near I would give her a low stare, then totally ignore her. She got the message. Body language is the easiest way to get your dog to understand what you really mean.

Good luck:thumbs up

livinonthedge
October 26th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Obviously the dog is cared about or I wouldn't even have bothered posting on this forum. There are many reasons why my mother got a dog, and we are all making sure that she is taken care of. I have 2 dogs of my own. I did a lot of reading before I posted and couldn't find anyone that seemed to have the same problem, so I asked for advice and/or if anyone had heard of anything similar. My mom has never had a dog and I'm trying to train both her and the dog. When I said "get after her", I meant that I let her know that I wasn't happy about what she had just done - it's not like I kicked her across the room or something. Not everyone knows exactly what to do with a dog and every dog is different. I never had any problems training my labs, so this is new to me as well. To those who gave advice thank you. I was under the impression that this was the place to go when I wasn't sure how to handle a training problem, I didn't realize that belittlement, accusations and lectures came along with it. There are lots of other places to look for help, so I'll go elsewhere.

PetFriendly
October 26th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Here are a few things that I think might help.

She might not yet associate being outside with going to the washroom. For the next little bit, try waiting to give the 'pee' command until you're sure she is doing it (if its quiet you can hear it) and treat her each and every time until she actually does pee on command. Keep her on leash at all times until she's done her thing. Play with her some more outside and take her back in. Keep her on leash and with you when you go in as I think what's happened is that she has learned that peeing on the carpet gets her attention... And she isn't caring that its bad attention.

You might also be jumping the gun in that the dog might not have to pee when you first take it out, but once its been outside, stretched etc, it might then have to go. Are you waiting for her to give you some sort of sign, or are you just guessing? Try waiting for her to start sniffing the ground or what ever she does, before taking her out.

Something else that realy helps is sticking to a schedule, a fairly rigid one at that.

livinonthedge
October 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Yes, we don't always stay outside and play, sometimes it's just a quick pee trip. My mom takes her out every hour to hour and a half during the day to go. When we say go pee, she immediately squats to go and sits there for a couple of seconds. We ask her if she is done and she runs for the door. We live in the city so it's kind of hard to hear if she is actually going.

No, we are not really waiting for a sign that she has to go, we just try to take her out every so often, after a nap, and after she has been playing in the house.

We'll try leaving her out longer on those trips and see what happens.
Thank you for the advice.

livinonthedge
October 26th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Is it possible to get some of her pee onto a paper and bring that paper with you when you go outside, put the paper where you want puppy to go and it can make it easier for her to associate that spot with going pee.

Yes, my mother had been using those puppy pads and alot of times she would use them, but we thought that maybe she wouldn't go outside because the puppy pads were confusing her, so we stopped using them. I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.
Thank you.

PetFriendly
October 26th, 2006, 08:18 PM
When we say go pee, she immediately squats to go and sits there for a couple of seconds. We ask her if she is done and she runs for the door.
Thank you for the advice.

I'm not an expert or anything, having only housebroken two dogs, but I'm thinking that the dog might think that 'go pee' means sit funny and 'are you done' means run to the door...

So if I were you, I'd think up new cue words (do your business, be quick, find a spot, etc) and only use it once the dog squats on her own.

You're welcome~!

Goldens4Ever
October 26th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Livinonthedge,

I think you might be misinterpreting some of the posts as lectures, belittlement, etc. If you took offense to anything that I may have written, :sorry: I get very hot-under-the-skin when I hear about people getting a dog when they don't have the time, money, and/or energy for one because it's not fair to the dog. Obviously you care because you are seeking advice, that was never being questioned. Good luck and don't give up :)

OntarioGreys
October 30th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I do feel PetFriendly has hit the nail on the head, you have successfully trained her to squat on command she does not realize she is supposed to pee as well.

Put her on a leash and attach it to you whenever she is not in the crate, now whenever she attempts to go in the house you will know and be able to correct immediately and take her directly outside to finish use a new term like go potty , since she knows to use a pee pad supply her with one outside so she catches the drift, put it exactly where you want her to go most dogs will circle before peeing and pooping so walk around the pad till she goes, using the pad will help you know she went, the reward her. Once she gets the idea and is getting fairly use to using the pad outside , cut the pad in half, a few days more in half again making it gradually smaller till is no longer exists