Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

prevent Urinary stones??

Donna S
October 25th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I just was at the pet store and the guy there told me that IAMS was a bad food for my male cat as it could cause urinary blockages. The vet told me to use this brand a year ago cause my lil boy was having trouble with bloody stools (have stopped since). I know to get low ash food but the labels on the IAMS seem to have low ash. I am confused. Was the guy telling the truth?? I have lost a male cat to urinary stones before.. I REALLY do NOT want to loose my lil Tav. Can anyone help?? Currently I use Iams Weight management. As you can see in the picture Tav is a happy fat cat (17.5lbs). lol. :cat:

Stacer
October 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I've recently been trying to figure out what the best food would be for my cat who is just recovering from a urinary infection and crystals. I made a list of food based on phosphorous and magnesium content. Here's the link to that thread http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31472.

Aside from using the prescription food from the vet (yuck), I think there are plenty of other good foods that can help with the problem, depending on how much you're willing to spend on a bag of food. My cat is still on the vet prescribed food, but when he's finished I'm going to try GO Natural! Chicken fruit and veggies and see how he does on that.

I don't know why a vet would ever recommend Iams as a healthy food for your cat. It may have low ash, but it has alot of other crap in it that your cat does not need.