Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens/day 3

karenj
October 25th, 2006, 03:37 PM
The babes seem to be doing well. (2 girls and 1 boy) Fat, clean and quiet. Ming is not as freaked now when I clean up the "nest". At first she would yowl whenever I uncovered the box. I guess their eyes will open at about 10 days. Can't wait. Do I start offering them food then or wait for a while? I have started taking pictures and will keep taking them for a few more days before I put them on line. Taking pictures of Ming and Miko too. I pretty much leave her alone with them except for peeking to make sure all is well and cleaning up once a day. Is there anything else I should be doing? Karen

erykah1310
October 25th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Not really alot that you can do right now, just keep an eye on momma and the babies and let her do her motherly things.

In a few weeks you will need to interviene a bit more with clean up and so on but for now, just make sure mom is doing well.

Cant wait to see some pics.

BMDLuver
October 25th, 2006, 04:04 PM
The kittens will not be interested or able to eat food for the next 4 weeks. Then you can gradually start offering them so wet food moistened down further with a bit of warm water. After they have mastered that for a few days, then you can move on to moistening kibble, etc. They won't be really interested in weaning off mom until at least 6 weeks plus. Make sure mom gets kitten food as she needs the extra calories right now.

badger
October 25th, 2006, 05:28 PM
They must be adorable. Is it any wonder we have such a hard time persuading people to spay and neuter? There's nohing sweeter then a baby, any baby.

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I agree with everything BMDLuver said. Good luck and can't wait to see the pics. :cat:

karenj
October 26th, 2006, 05:31 AM
I agree they are absolutely beautiful. However I only had Ming a short time before they were born and I was a wreck. I couldn't sleep I was so worried. So would I want to do it again--NO!. I am perfectly content to have them altered and let them live out their lives as my pets. Luckily we are allowed 5 cats here so it worked out perfectly. So far I have named them Maya (ultimate reality), Mina (poetess) and Makoto (good). Miko (dad) goes to the vet today to be altered. I suppose you have guessed from the names that they are Siamese. Also that I have a "thing" for M names. Karen