Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

DVP Natural Balance removes Citric Acid

Goldens4Ever
October 25th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I recently recommended two of DVP's Natural Balance formulas to a friend of mine; however, I remember reading two threads on this forum about the Citric Acid that is used as a preservative in their foods. I e-mailed Natural Balance this morning, inquiring about why they use this in their foods. I just received an e-mail from them stating the following:

Please know that Natural Balance has removed Citric Acid from all of our formulas. All of our new 2008 bags will reflect this change on the ingredient listing, as we are currently working on changing our website, bags, brochures, etc. If you could please e-mail me with your mailing address I would be happy to send you some samples, brochures, coupons and a frequent buyer's card.

I just wanted to share this with everyone since many people really liked their foods but were concerned about the Citric Acid, as it relates to BLOAT. But, I thought that companies had 6 months to change the packaging...? I e-mailed her again for further clarification on this.

ShaggyRudy
October 25th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info, Goldens!! This is so good to know as I just switched our dog over to DVP's Venison & Green Peas. He still itching a bit, but we're trying to figure out if it's more related to the colder, dryer air, and cooler house causing dry skin, rather than the food.

Our cats are also on DVP (a variety of flavors) and LOVE it! Let me know if you find out anything else. :)

Goldens4Ever
October 25th, 2006, 06:30 PM
ShaggyRudy,

I will let you know what she says when I hear back from her.

On another note, if you dog is getting itchy and/or dry skin try drizzling the food with some salmon oil or Lipiderm, which contains salmon oil, flaxseed oil, and some other ones as well (we use this for our oldest golden). We give our youngest golden an oil supplement (capsule) from our vet that has Omega's 3, 6, & 9 twice a day. But, since we switched them to Timberwolf Organics, which has more sources of Omegas in it than Solid Gold, we will cut her supplement back to one per day. That supplement, along with Virbac Sebolux shampoo has improved her skin 99.9%; DRAMATIC results. She has never had the itchies, but she had severely dry, flaky skin, which we suspect is a case of secondary seborrhea. Eventhough seborrhea is a permanent condition, she has no symptoms anymore thanks to good nutrition, supplements, and other products :)

meb999
October 25th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the info Goldens!

I've been having such a rough time finding the right food for Buster....I just bought a bag of DVP Venison and rice :fingerscr
Good to know the citric acid is out :thumbs up

Maybe I'll e-mail them too....just to get the coupons ;)

coppperbelle
October 25th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I e-mailed them a while back about something and sent them my address. I got a bunch of coupons and a frequent buyer card.

Goldens4Ever
October 25th, 2006, 07:03 PM
If you would like to get the coupons and the frequent buyer's card, here is the woman's name and e-mail address that I have been corresponding with. I would just e-mail her directly as opposed to doing it through the website.

Jennifer Freeman, Animal Nutritionist, B.S.

jenniferb@naturalbalanceinc.com
1-800-829-4493

I still need to get clarification from her about whether the CURRENT food is without the Citric Acid, because she said that the new packaging won't be out till 2008. Yet, she stated that it's been removed from all of their formulas. So, I am not sure if that means the new food is in the old packaging....? :confused: That would not make sense, but then I have heard that Solid Gold may be doing that. I will post again when I have received clarification on this.

I am glad this information was helpful and eased some of your concerns about DVP's foods. It's a good brand, but the Citric Acid makes one a bit leery. I also read some interesting information about BLOAT today; things I have not heard of before. Let me know if you are interested in reading a thread about it, and I will post one.

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 07:08 PM
If they have removed the citric acid from their food already I wonder why it's not going to show until their 2008 bags? They only have six months yo use up their old bags and 2008 is over a year away. :confused:

Goldens4Ever
October 25th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I know-I asked her this and I am anxiously awaiting her response because it just doesn't make sense. That's why I need some clarification from her.

MERI
October 25th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Goldens4Ever for this news!
I was really concerned about citric asid - otherwise my dog is doing great on DVP venison. But how can I be sure that bag I bought doesn't have cinric acid? Or there is no way to know it until 2008?

Prin
October 25th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I'm glad they're removing it, whether it's sooner or later.:shrug:

mafiaprincess
October 25th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Kinda odd to mention 2008 though.. that's a ways in the future..

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Looks like we're all looking forward to the clarification. :D

Goldens4Ever
October 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I received another e-mail from Jennifer, but her response still doesn't make sense!

Yes, our current bags on the shelf do not have citric acid, as it had been removed. We are currently working on correcting our ingredient listing.

My response back to her was this:

So, the current bags on the shelf don't contain Citric Acid but the bags state that that they do in the ingredients list?? Is that legal to sell a product that has different food in it than what the ingredients state??

I still don't get it!

meb999
October 26th, 2006, 02:02 PM
YAY! I'm glad to know the change is already in effect! :thumbs up

Goldens4Ever
October 26th, 2006, 09:16 PM
So, it appears that the bags that are currently on the shelf do NOT contain Citric Acid, even though it is listed in the ingredients. She stated that they have 6 months, but I don't get why she mentioned the 2008 date then...weird.

meb999
October 26th, 2006, 09:25 PM
:shrug: maybe it's a typo and she really meant 2007 (which is in less than 6 months)

Goldens4Ever
October 28th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Yes, it certainly looks like it may have been a typo, as 2007 would make more sense in terms of the 6 month legality.

I am glad that this information was helpful. It is always encouraging to see good dog food companies making improvements to their formulas. Removing the Citric Acid from their foods will increase the quality of their formulas and hopefully yield positive results in the dogs that consume them.

If anyone would like me to e-mail her with other questions, please respond to this thread accordingly :)