Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!! Molly won't let me clip her nails

mollydogsmom
October 25th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Hi,
can anyone give me advice on how to clip my PWD's nails?? She is 5.5 months and won't let me all she does is chew on my hands.
I was able to do it when she was younger and half asleep but no more.
Do you have any tricks that I can try??
We managed to clip 3 paws when we sent back to the breeder for her first hair cut but it took close to 2.5 hours to get everything done.

jesse's mommy
October 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I tackle Jesse when she is sleeping and lay on top of her to do it while she turns into a demon. :D Good luck.

mollydogsmom
October 25th, 2006, 03:18 PM
thanks, we have tried that when she is kind of dozy but she is getting bigger by the minute . not sure I want to wrestle with her.

papillonmama
October 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM
You could try taking her for a good run before clipping her nails, so she settles down, or maybe distract her with a toy.

Good luck

mollydogsmom
October 25th, 2006, 03:33 PM
She never really settles she is still at the energizer puppy stage. take her out for an hour to play with her puppy friends bring her back home and she is still ready to go. I n fact sometimes she has more energy then before if that is possible.

jessi76
October 25th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I took my dog to the groomer for nails when he was young and still getting used to it. was well worth the $5-$10. once he had them done a few times, I started doing them at home with MUCH MORE SUCCESS.

Evark
October 25th, 2006, 03:54 PM
You can always get someone to help you by holding her while you clip her nails or get a muzzle and every time she lets you give her treats and praise for beign a good girl shell soon learn that its oki to have her nails done ( like most girls :thumbs up )

jesse's mommy
October 25th, 2006, 05:19 PM
You can always get someone to help you by holding her while you clip her nails or get a muzzle and every time she lets you give her treats and praise for beign a good girl shell soon learn that its oki to have her nails done ( like most girls :thumbs up )

I have to laugh at that. We had Jesse at the groomers and there were three of us holding her down, while on benadryl, a muzzle on, hot dogs as treats and the groomer was only able to get two paws done. Some dogs just become demons. She has no problem with her paws being handled, but as soon as she sees the nail clippers, demon dog. For us the best thing for us to do is to go out late at night when no one is out and have her run back and forth between us on the street and try to get them filed down naturally.

Prin
October 25th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Just try to make every experience a pleasant one (that might mean stopping prematurely). And be sure to avoid cutting the quick as that freaks them out a ton.

Also, play with your dog's feet and toes as much as you can.

erykah1310
October 25th, 2006, 11:08 PM
I have to agree with Prin, take it slow, dont push her.

To clip one of my dogs nail takes close to 2 hours in all. ITs one nail when ever he lets me.

jesse's mommy
October 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Last time I did Jesse's nails it took me 5 days. I thought that was pretty good timing. :D

normag
October 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM
My dogs wont let me even touch there feet I take them to the vet and three of them eventually get it done the screams coming from them you would swear they were pulling there nails out not just trimming them, I have to explain to people waiting they are only having there nails cut, If you've ever heard a shiba inu scream you will know what I mean.

mollydogsmom
October 26th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions,
managed to get another nail done last nite 2 down 18 to go. I am working with her every nite with help, we should have them all done in another 3weeks

OntarioGreys
October 29th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Smear peanut butter on the fridge in her reach zone and try doing while she is busy licking the peanut butter off

BMDLuver
October 29th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Smear peanut butter on the fridge in her reach zone and try doing while she is busy licking the peanut butter off

Lol.... that's very clever. My husband would kill me if I did that but I could always say the kids made the mess! :D

OntarioGreys
October 29th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Lol.... that's very clever. My husband would kill me if I did that but I could always say the kids made the mess! :D

The good thing is peanut butter washes off ;)

Lump of Kohl
October 29th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I may be a little late but I have had good success using a method that was suggested for clipping cats. I wrap my puppy in a blanket with only the paw I am working on out. Now I have 8 pound dogs and I am not familiar with what kind of dog you have from the abbreviation you used but if he is larger wraping him in the blanket then pinning him as someone else suggested might let you at least get one entire paw done at a time. Also everything (baths, nail clipping, etc...) seems easier after they eat and are sleepy

OntarioGreys
October 30th, 2006, 08:12 AM
PWD = portugese water dog http://www.portuguesewaterdogs.org.uk/rowboat.jpg

Her puppy is about 3 times the size of your dog Lump of Kohl,

mollydogsmom
November 17th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Ended up taking her to a groomer to have it done. It took her about 7 minutes and cost $10.00. Molly is getting to big to try and trap to do her nails. I will keep goin to the groomer until she accepts that it has to be done.

ItsMurphy'sLaw
November 20th, 2006, 08:02 PM
There is one thing that I do if it helps..
We all have the cuddle time with our animals during the day...what I do is rub/massage their toes,around the nails, and between. So doing this umpteen times a day.hahaha. they start to feel very relaxed and at ease when you start clipping...They begin to associate it with a positive feeling.
It has worked wonders on all three of mine.
My Lab even hands me her paws when she sees the clippers (now the St. is ticklelish...but getting sooooo much better!!!

Otherwise, wait until they are sleeping and gently snip away.

Slams_58
December 7th, 2006, 12:30 AM
My dogs wont let me even touch there feet I take them to the vet and three of them eventually get it done the screams coming from them you would swear they were pulling there nails out not just trimming them, I have to explain to people waiting they are only having there nails cut, If you've ever heard a shiba inu scream you will know what I mean.

My Macy hates her feet being touched too... must be a Shiba thing... my neighbours know when it's nail trimming time..they can here her scream.

rainbow
December 7th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Ended up taking her to a groomer to have it done. It took her about 7 minutes and cost $10.00. Molly is getting to big to try and trap to do her nails. I will keep goin to the groomer until she accepts that it has to be done.

That's what I do....sure saves a lot of hassle. :D

Lise
December 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I put Molly on a grooming table to do her nails when I first got her since she was older and really bad for nails.I find a lot of dogs that are hard to do are easier on an elevated surface also if very wiggly grooming nooses help.Molly did get better and I can now do her on the floor with only token protests!Good Luck