Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Solid Gold Feeders

coppperbelle
October 25th, 2006, 12:09 PM
On another message board I belong to someone asked a question about Solid Gold. It seems that in early September they bought 6 bags of Wolf King. The first two that were opened appeared to be like the old formula, size of kibble etc... The last two bags that were opened the kibble is different in size and one of the dogs is not fussy about eating it as before and another dog has loose poops. She thinks that they have put the new formula in the old bags.
Has anyone else noticed this? I

meb999
October 25th, 2006, 12:15 PM
yeah, I believe Mafiaprincess also had an old bag with the new formula in it. I think they have something like 6 months to get rid of their old bags...then they have to use new bags. :mad:

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 01:46 PM
That's right. Pet food companies have, by law, six months to use up their old bags. :frustrated: Personally, I think they should be required to add a clear message to the old bags that the formula has changed. :mad:

coppperbelle
October 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the information. Personally I think it is not right that they can change the formulas, add ingredients and then use the old bags that do not reflect the changes so the consumer is unaware.

Goldens4Ever
October 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM
My vet sells Solid Gold, and interestingly, she had no idea that SG has changed it's formulas; I was a little disappointed. Further, she is unaware of what tomato pomace is; I had to tell her :( Oh well. We're done with the SG's food mess (but we will keep using some of their treats). It's Timberwolf Organics for us from now on...BUT, since DVP has removed the Citric Acid from it's foods now, we may consider that in the future if things don't go well with the TO, since we have to drive 2.5 hours from where we live to purchase it.

mafiaprincess
October 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Apparently if they considered the formula change 'major' the bags would need to change.. Since it is 'minor' (yeah right) they have 6 months to be skeezy..

Prin and I both had to take our bags back due to sick doggies and the bags still listed the old ingredients..

Prin
October 25th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Yep. Within a week, they both had the splats. The food smelled different too (like barn instead of mildly fishy). The store that had it didn't know about the change either.

mafiaprincess
October 25th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I didn't notice the bag smelling like barn.. but after Cider ate.. she smelled like barn...

coppperbelle
October 25th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Apparently the size of the kibble is different also. Did you notice that?

mafiaprincess
October 25th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Not that I was really aware of. She was sick like an hour after her first meal of the new bag though.. alternated between puking and the trots for three days till I returned it.. Was almost instantly better on a new food...

Prin
October 25th, 2006, 08:38 PM
It might have been a bit bigger, but not significantly to notice unless somebody pointed it out to me.:shrug: It's the splats that got me thinking that the barn smell meant something, and by then, the old bag was long gone.:rolleyes: