Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog on meds 20+ days not gettin better

halleyscomet33
October 25th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Hi. My dog started with itching and biting and licking all 4 paws constantly. Took to vet, put on benedryl and antiobiotic for 10 days. Near end of 10 days had bloody spot on head and ended up havin small quarter size bald spot there next day w/some irritation. Other symps still persistant. Drinking a ton of water and started urinating in house. Dog has been potty trained and never does this. Took dog to vet again, put on same meds + steroid for 10 more days. Started to improve after 2 or so days but is now as bad as it was before, and has been whining while just standing or laying there doing absolutely nothing and is not lethargic but kindof listless. Sometimes she is standing and just stands there in kindof a weird position, holds neck weird.
The dog has been perfectly healthy and has no other contact w/animals other than our own which she has been around for a year +. She is only 2 years old. The vet thinks the skin irritation is allergy related and not related to the new symptoms. They have no idea whats causin this. Gettin blood work done, waiting for that now. Already had a skin scrape and that came back negative. Just don't know what else to do. Anyone else w/similar problems/experiences? Thanks greatly.

erykah1310
October 25th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Im sorry i dont have any experience with anything like this.
But all i can think of is, Go to a different vet!!!!

This doesnt sound good at all!

I have however had problems with my dogs paws being itchy and red and it was a yeast infection. She was given drops ( to put on the paws and put socks over so she wouldnt lick the medication) it cleared up in a matter of days!

What did the vet diagnose for your dog??? Before deciding to put her on these meds???

I really think you need a second opinion!

halleyscomet33
October 25th, 2006, 08:22 AM
the vets think the itchy stuff is just due to allergies but not sure whats causing the allergies. i havent introduced anything new into her environment that i can think of. as far as the urinating in the house and the listlessness and whining, they dont know about that either, so we are gettin blood work for valley fever or some poss tick issues and some other stuff i guess. my husb took her last time. we have seen a couple of different vets at this office. if the blood work comes back w/no help i will probably try to take her somewhere else for another opinion. poor baby. i just want her to be better. thanks for the reply :)

erykah1310
October 25th, 2006, 08:42 AM
She had ticks??? ( or a tick)

I really hope that things get better, im gonna keep my :fingerscr !

My dog's sister has environmental allergies as well. There is little that her owner can do, her vet suggested benedryl ( i believe) perhaps talk to your vet about this as well. It seems to be helping with Kilos irritations. but the dosage is minimal.

halleyscomet33
October 25th, 2006, 09:02 AM
no ticks, but they thought the itchy stuff was related. came back negative tho.

thanks! :)

vfrohloff
October 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
May I ask what kind of food you are feeding your dog? Sounds like it could be some sort of food allergy.

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I agree that it is likely a food allergy. What brand of dog food are you feeding her?

Prin
October 25th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I agree too. If you want us to help you find a (hopefully allergen-less) food for your doggy, let us know.:) We'd need to know what you have fed in the past.:)

halleyscomet33
October 26th, 2006, 03:54 AM
been feeding her Iams adult dog food for 1 year, have never changed it...the allergies seem to be subsiding but she is just not acting right now, and still urinating in the house all blood tests came back ok still waiting on the valley fever test tho

Sweetgrass
October 26th, 2006, 04:18 AM
I have an Alaskan Sled Dog with a variety of sensitivites and allergies.....

We have him on a raw diet, primarily lamb, and we haven't had any symptoms for about 2 months....3 months on full raw diet.....

We did need to treat with antibiotics and a topical anti-bacterial cream ,
but I would echo the others here...Please get a second opinion.......

A vet needs to help you work this out.....mine was very patient and really solved Niko's problem!

Prin
October 26th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Allergies can develop over time. And Iams is definitely not one of the better foods out there.:o

When you say urinating in the house, can you be more specific? Is she peeing in her sleep? Is she squatting?

SuperWanda
October 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I have experience with the licking of paws (due to allergies) but not the drinking, urinating issue.

Allergies can develop over time after exposure to particular allergens - that may be something environmental or a food allergy. It's very hard to figure out what might be triggering the reaction.

I'll just cut and paste my experience from another post with the things I have tried:

Like erykah said - could be something else but I thought I would just add my experience since I have a dog with a similar problem, licking her paws until they are raw and red, although she has had this problem since she was young.

The vet thought it was allergies and also gave me a medicated soap to use called Endure anti-bacterial soap. I think the reason for this wasn't to solve the problem but to prevent a skin infection because the paws were so raw.

I'm not sure what my dog is allergic to - dust, pollen, mold, grass, something in her food or maybe a combination???

I did change her food and she is really not having any problems right now but it is also getting colder so maybe she is not being exposed to a particular environmental allergen???

I also don't use chemicals outside or inside that may irritate.

If it is allergies, trial and error is the way I figure out what works best, with foods or even laundry detergents. I have to use the sensitive skin, fragrance free kind - she gets itchy if I wash her bed with something else. Things like grass, and pollen - unfortunately you can't really keep them away from that - so if it ever flares up I just try and keep her paws clean and dry to prevent infection. The vet has also prescribed anti-histamines for really bad boughts.

halleyscomet33
November 20th, 2006, 05:02 AM
so we didnt change food , still with the Iams, but after a total of 20 days on a combo of: bendryl, an antibiotic, steroids, and a pain med, the symptoms have subsided...and she is happy and normal again.
vet never could tell us what caused this...i think she mighta been bitten by something. early in the illness she came in w/a bloody spot on her head one night and we cleaned all the blood off her head and there was no sore. then next day there was a quarter size bald spot on that same area. so...thats why i think it was maybe a bite. hope we dont have to revisit this! thanks for everyones help and feed back :) greatly appreciated