Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ADVICE--Mysterious Vomiting in Cat?

valeriegharris
October 25th, 2006, 02:58 AM
This is my first-ever question, and I really appreciate any help you can offer- I've looked through the threads and nothing seems to apply . . .

My cat, Clara, was rescued as a kitten and she seems healthy, she certainly acts healthy, and has always passed her vet checkups, and I have had blood work, etc done recently and her vet passed Clara on her latest health checkup, about three months ago.:thumbs up

Clara is two years old, weighs eight pounds and is keeping her weight on, but since she was a kitten she has vomited, often violently, immediately after eating. For the first year of her life the vet encouraged me to ignore it since she was a stray kitten, abandoned at a very young age, etc. The vet thought it would go away.

Needless to say, it hasn't, so I tried all varieties of dry and raw and canned food that I could, with varying success, as the vet did blood work and checked Clara's stool for obvious causes.

Clara's health was pronounced very good, except for the vomiting, which continued. In a kind of desperation, I took up a solution, that, miraculously, seems to have worked--cooked chicken. When I read about cat diets online, and esp. protein diets, I decided to try an all-cooked-chicken diet for Clara.

It actually worked, and she never throws up now. But I am very worried.

Can she survive on only chicken?
Can she thrive on a chicken-only diet?
If it is ok to continue to feed her chicken; what can I supplement with to help her diet be more well-rounded- without making her vomit?
If she should be eating something else, what could work?
Have any of you had this happen?
:fingerscr

I appreciate your help, sincerely . . .

Thanks, Valerie :angel:

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Were you feeding Clara dry kibble or canned food? And what brands were you feeding her?

vfrohloff
October 25th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Ditto Rainbow. Sometimes cats that eat too fast can't digest unchewed kibble so they throw it up. Food quality can make a huge difference too. I would be wary of feeding my cats only cooked chicken for the rest of their lives.