Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New cat

crazyk1020
October 24th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Hi guys, sorry I have been away so long. We have finally gotten everythign in line from the wedding, honeymoon, reception, and all that jazz. Everything is finally settling down. There is a possibility that in the next few weeks that my boys will have a new housemate. She is a three year old spayed black and white shorthair. She originally came from my parents' farm and has had a nice cushy home inside with a family in the city. But alas you know the story...kid grew up went to college can't keep the cat and so on and so forth...I won't repeat the same ol' story. I tried advocating for them keeping it but her parents just won't have it. Anyways they don't want to give it to a shelter but are going to have to if someone doesn't take her, and I dont' want her to end up with someone who won't absolutely love her because she came from my parents. Anyways my mom may keep her but she doesn't know if she really wants another cat yet, because she just lost her dear Symba last year and isn't really ready yet:( . So I may take her. How can I go about preparing my boys for a new arrival. They are littermates and have been together their whole life, which is only a little over a year but still a long time. They have had us all to themselves, do you think it could be a potential problem? They don't mind when my mom brings her little Lhasa up, but would a cat be different? Plus she comes from a one cat household, but is sharing it with a little dog right now. How can I make this be less traumatic for both sides? Thanks again, and it sure feels good to be back :)

Prin
October 24th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Welcome back! (just wanted to say that... :o I'm not a kitty person, but I'm sure one of them will be by soon...)

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Congratulations on your soon to be new addition and thanks for giving her a home.

Do you have a room so you can keep her separate from your boys at first? Get some old towels or whatever and rub the cats and put the boys "towel" with her and her "towel with the boys so they can get used to each others scent. Then introduce them slowly. There will probably be hissing and growling at first. Good luck. :fingerscr

Also, you'll need another litterbox for her.

crazyk1020
October 26th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the input, I realized that this was the topic on the home page of the website so I kinda feel a little silly that I wasn't paying attention :o . I will keep everyone posted on her situation. I also have a question about my boys now that I have a little time to be online again, but I will start a new thread for it. thanks again rainbow and Prin :D