Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Goldy has been bitten

amaruq
February 22nd, 2004, 03:53 PM
We went to the dog park today and this dog we have seen many times some reason got mad at Goldy my oldest...jumped and bit her ear. GRRRRR! I bet not 5 minutes later he was attacking another dog. The owner who is a nice young fellow asked if she was ok and was there anything he could do. Yea kleenex! lol! You all know how an ear bleeds. I'm humming and hawing whether to put liquid bandage on it? It's still seeping blood. But not lots....like maybe a drop or 2 in 2 hours. But enough to keep it wet.
My therory is to let it bleed and keep it clean. The blood will wash out the bacteria?
Or put the liquid bandage on and seal up the cut?
What do you all think?

bohemian
February 22nd, 2004, 05:20 PM
Hi,

1- Make SURE your dog is up on its rabies shot. Better to be safe and make sure the biter is also up on it's rabies shot. If your dog is not up to date and you are unsure about the other dog. Then this is an emergency and a vet should be seen NOW.

2- If it is a superficial (not deep) wound I'd put something like polysporin or another antibiotic ointment on. Make SURE it doesn't need a stitch.

3- keep a close eye on Goldy's ear. Infection is possible.

Of course the Safest thing to do is see a vet.

Good luck

Bohemian

amaruq
February 22nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Her wound sealed finally. It was more if a scratch but deep. Didn't puncture right threw. What ticked me and scared me is Goldy is getting up there and age. She weighs 35 lbs. This other dog was like 60-70 lbs. But dogs are like kids. One minute there mad next minute they want to run and play.
I just pray there is no infection other wise off to the vets for us tomorow..... wish us luck.

Luba
February 22nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
I hope everything will be okay

Do you know the other dogs history?

amaruq
February 23rd, 2004, 07:55 AM
I know the dog had its shots....We have seen the dog since early fall. No problems then. But what happened yesterday??? Who know?
Goldy is a bit sore and I'm a biy worried. I'm gonna call the vet today. Although there is no sign of infection so far.