Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does my cat know I'm pregnant?

andihollywood
October 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I am in my 6th week of my first pregnancy. My 12-year-old cat, Casper, who is normally very affectionate, has been excessively clingy with me for the last 2 weeks. He will not get off of me whenever I sit or lay down. Whether he is laying on my stomach, on my pillow around my head, on my back (if I'm on my stomach), or on my lap, he has to be on me. When I try to push him off if it is bothersome, he seems almost panicked to get back on! I have actually had to lock him out of the bedroom for the last 2 nights because he is being such a pest! I am not spending any less time with him than I did before pregnancy, and he is still being spoiled rotten, so I'm not sure why the change...could he sense I'm pregnant? Is he trying to protect me or something? Please let me know if you've had this experience. Thanks.
Andrea

dtbmnec
October 24th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Well not having been pregnant (not for a while yet) I can't help you with that....I'm sure someone else on here just might though....

I just wanted to say congrats on the pregnancy :) and I hope all goes well!

Megan

~michelle~
October 24th, 2006, 06:07 PM
your hormone levels and scent will change he might have picked up on that good luck with the pregnancy

phoenix
October 24th, 2006, 08:07 PM
no answers, just congrats and make sure that you are NOT cleaning the litter box. It's dangerous for pregnant women.

andihollywood
October 24th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the well wishes!! Yes, I know all about the litter box/toxoplasmosis - my hubby has already taken over litter box duty...:cat:

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Good hubby. :angel: :thumbs up and, congratulations to both of you. :D

Someone else posted on another forum here that when the baby came home they had installed a screen door to the baby's bedroom so the cat could see in but couldn't get in. I thought it sounded like a good idea.

joeysmama
October 25th, 2006, 02:18 AM
My cat didn't behave any differently when I was pregnant but when I brought my first baby home she acted a little ticked off at me. Just a little more aloof for a bit. But she never bothered the baby or tried to get in the crib or anything like that, and lived nicely with him, and later with our daughter too.

I knew someone whose dog would steal her underwear from the hamper when she was preganat and take it to his bed. Only the ones from the hamper--never the freshly laundered ones. And only when she's pregnant. Go figure.

vfrohloff
October 25th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I think pets can sense it. I am 6 months pregnant and I also have a cat who has become super clingy. She won't leave me alone, but she never tries to get in my lap. She used to be such a lap cat but now she just sits on the arm of the chair ALL the time. It's like she's trying to fend off the other cats, it's weird. She also walks around the house howling at strange hours of the day or night. She always did this but not as often as she does now.

dtbmnec
October 25th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Random tangent :sorry:

When my boyfriend's little sister was born they used to have a cat. At one point his mother found the cat in the crib and suffocating his little sister, so she did the responsible (logical) thing and gave the cat away to the SPCA and told the SPCA that it couldn't be around babies. The trick to this was that Arron and his older brother had *put* the cat in the crib and finally confessed after a week. His mother still feels bad to this day about it.

So just remember...ask your other kids if they put the cat in the crib before giving the cat away! lol It isn't always the cat's fault!

You know if my boys are this crazy now when I'm not pregnant we could have some serious issues when I am! lol They'll either get uber-crazy or they'll get super calm....either way it'll scare me I'm sure! lol

Megan

vfrohloff
October 26th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Don't worry Megan, I have no intention of getting rid of any of my kitties when Jake is born. I figure if I don't let the cats into the baby's room in the first place then there won't be any potential cause for trouble.

CyberKitten
October 26th, 2006, 02:12 PM
There arew a verity of ways of preparing a cat for the new family member. Here is just one of the many pages that offer good ideas:

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/humanpregnancy.htm

hdme
October 27th, 2006, 03:48 PM
dtbmnec,
Now, they make tents that you can install over the cribs or co-sleepers to help keep curious animals out (not much they can do about mischievious brothers though :D ). My SIL uses a co-sleeper next to her bed and has the netting tent and it works really well and allows the cats to get on the bed, but they cannot get into the co-sleeper at all. The tents are constructed using a frame that helps hold the netting up and away from the crib or co-sleeper and the frame also holds the netting tight so that a cat can't fall in.

redhed
October 28th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Congratulations on your pregnancy...hope you are feeling well. When I was pregnant with my oldest ( 28 years ago..LOL ) we had a cat who became clingy more towards the end of my pregnancy. She loved to cuddle with me when I had my afternoon nap on the couch. Her favorite place to cuddle was on the mountain that was my abdomen...it was sooo funny. She would circle and try to get into a comfortable position ( she was a decent size adult cat and I was just a petite thing of 100 lbs (not incl the belly LOL). When she finally balanced on top/around she would look so comfy ( not that I was at all....an 25lb beachball of a stomach is uncomfortable enuff without a cat on top of it ) then the baby would start rolling around and knock her off....too bad it was before the days of affordable video cams as it really was hillarious. She would look a bit perturbed then try it again....usually ending up just beside me. I am sure that they are able to sense what was going on inside as she was always careful to knead with no claws. Once the baby was born she spent more time going out for her walkies ( her choice ) as she was used to people who had slept in and were pretty quiet.....all the noise and early hours didn't agree with her. She didn't attempt to go into the crib or anything...but we did make sure the baby's room door was closed and the cat wasn't inside because we had heard the perhaps urban legend of cats smothering babies...............Good Luck.......get all the sleep you can NOW:)

Paula69
October 28th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I should have trusted my cats behaviour and I would have known earlier that I was pregnant! Congrats! My cat starting being overly obnoxious and needy and wouldn't get off my stomache way back when I was pregnant, I remember comlaining, but understood why later! There is so much evidence of animals pinpointing changes in body and totally affects their behaviour. I let mine stay on my stomache, I think later he loved to hear the other heart beat, I constantly reassured his worried looks that all would be well, and HE was my baby, that always helped. Make sure you spend a few min every now and then face to face to reassure him he's still important so he doesn't get jealous. The more relaxed he is and included, he'll be fine, but they do worry about losing your attention, so needs lots of love. Mine babysat my baby, he wouldn't go in the crib, but stayed on top, if anyone else tried to go near her w/o me he got real mad until I said it was OK. He was a very good helper and quite proud of his role. My cat now spends his days babysitting my 8" Box turtle, they are good friends, and my 1 dog babysits the cat, and the other dog babysits me, just make sure he has a role, ya'll B fine! Good luck!:party:

dtbmnec
October 28th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Don't worry Megan, I have no intention of getting rid of any of my kitties when Jake is born. I figure if I don't let the cats into the baby's room in the first place then there won't be any potential cause for trouble.

Jake...what an awesome name!

lol well his mother didn't allow the cat into the bedroom either....but she figured that the cat got in on its own (she hadn't closed the door tightly etc.). :shrug:

hgd24: hey that's good to know....:)

I'm not sure what I would do with my boys if I got pregnant (not give them away of course)...*shrugs* well that's a few years off so all is good :D

My other friend's parent's dog is uber-protective of her baby. He's a bit over a week old now and she will actually block the mother from getting to the baby if the baby cries too much/too long. *shrugs* Probably should train her not to do it (or maybe not so much) but I feel bad for that dog....she's too big and doesn't get out enough...:(

Megan