Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Depressed cat?

Lucidity
October 24th, 2006, 04:17 PM
About 22 years ago I adopted two kittens, and about a month ago the male, Toby, was put to sleep due to advanced stomach cancer. Since then, Sam (the other cat) has been very depressed, sleeping all day and being very upset when I leave - she is constantly by my side. She also wanders around the house meowing and frequently pokes around in the places where Toby was known to sleep a lot.

Throughout those 22 odd years, Sam and Toby were VERY close - always sleeping together, grooming eachother, etc. Is it possible that she could be depressed or just sick?

Thanks,
Cate

jessi76
October 24th, 2006, 04:23 PM
first off, welcome!

second, kudos to you for having cats that got to enjoy so many years with you!

third, I'm sorry for the loss of Toby, and I do believe Sam could be depressed, but I'm no expert. If you are unsure, and suspect illness, I'd suggest a vet check. But if she checks out fine, I'd lean towards depression. All you can do is make sure she's not ill, and make her remaining golden years the best they can be with you.

we'd love to see some pics of Sam!

Lucidity
October 24th, 2006, 04:45 PM
here she is, this was taken a couple months ago when we were still living in New Zealand. Haha she's more well travelled than most people! Shes been dragged along to 4 countries with me.

badger
October 24th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure if you could call it depression, but I don't think there's any question that animals pine for each other. Give her lots of playtime and snuggles, maybe buy her some new toys, brush her every day just for the pleasure.
Is there any chance of getting her another friend? although if she is set in her ways you would have to choose very carefully!
She's adorable, her coat is dazzling, although not too thrilled by the camera..

Lucidity
October 25th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Hm i wouldn't think it was depression either, except its been so long since Toby died. She is having major seperation anxiety issues now. And yes she has beautiful fur and is in great health for an old cat! and she was getting angry cos i kept trying to make her pose, lol. Its actually gotten so bad that when i have a shower she will lay down on the mat outside the shower.

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Sorry to hear about Toby. :rip: :grouphug: For lack of a better word, I would call it depression. Sam lost her best friend of 22 years so I would imagine she feels sad and lost. It's only been a month since Toby passed and I think it will take some time for her to come to terms with it.

Its actually gotten so bad that when i have a shower she will lay down on the mat outside the shower.

Perhaps, she thinks when you disappear from view that she is going to lose you too. :shrug: I would give her lots of extra love to help her through this. :grouphug:

BTW, welcome to the forum. Sam is very pretty and definitely in good shape for 22 yr. old. :cat: :love: