Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kennel Cough Vaccine Question

jessi76
October 24th, 2006, 04:55 PM
let me preface this by saying, my dog is NOT sick. does NOT have KC.

ok, that said, I got Tucker the KC vac (bordetella) over a year ago. He was scheduled to attend daycare, and as per the rules, needed the vaccine. I got the vaccine 1 week prior to attending daycare, and a week later he was showing signs of KC. every dog must be vaccinated to be in this daycare, it's a top notch facility, the same place I do all my training too. So I figured he got the KC from the vaccine. He'd been there MANY times before (for training), with MANY of the same dogs, and was never sick. it happened following the vaccine.

So, when he showed signs of KC we went to the vet, got a firm diagnosis and antibiotics, and Tucker recovered just fine in about 2 wks.

Since then I have not gotten that vaccine again. Instead, I opted to get the Lyme disease vaccine, as tics that carry Lyme are prevelant in my area, and dogs are coming down w/ Lyme here. so I felt that was more important, and didn't want to do both at the same time. He had no adverse reaction to the lyme vac.

Now, I find myself in a bind this week, my bf is working out of state for a few days, I have a heavy workload myself, and friends/family are just too busy to lend a hand. so I have to use the daycare to care for Tucker during the day. As a courtesy, they've waived the mandatory KC vac for me so I can use the daycare, however, for any future daycare, Tucker will need to be UTD w/ the KC vac.

I'm leary of getting it, for fear he'll get sick again. (ok, finally my actual question) Do many dogs get KC from the vac? Has this happened to anyone? is it ongoing (each time the vac is renewed)? I know there are multiple strains, and the vac only protects against SOME, not all. are there multiple vac's? Tucker received the nasal spray one. is there a shot one that is better? worse?

These are questions I will review with my vet, however, it's not a pressing matter as the daycare graciously waived the requirement. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced it.

Prin
October 24th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Has he ever had the vaccine before that?

I think they get more resilient the more they're exposed to it...

But I also think if they let you into the kennel without it, it's likely that he could have gotten it from the kennel. His vaccine wouldn't have kicked in yet. :shrug:

When I had my fosterbabies, if I remember properly, it was a couple of weeks after the vaccine that one of them started to get sneezy. But maybe I'm not remembering properly.:o

jessi76
October 24th, 2006, 05:12 PM
thanks for the reply... that's why we got the nasal, because I had to get him into daycare in a week (last year). that was his first time getting the vac, and his only time, and he came down w/ KC. no dogs are allowed into this daycare w/out the vaccine. Tucker went back to daycare a few times after that (while his vaccine was still valid), and never got sick.

mafiaprincess
October 24th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Cider had the bordatella shot as a pup.. didn't get KC.. Got the nasal spray in like april/may.. also didn't get sick..

Could have been from the daycare though.. Since it's like the flu shot and it's the prevalent right now strands covered, a dog carrying another strand could have been in daycare.. Maybe not showing signs yet?

jessi76
October 24th, 2006, 05:51 PM
it's certainly possible. I was just wondering if getting KC from a vaccine happens. If Tucker got it in daycare, seems odd he'd be so sick so fast. He was sick the next day with the coughing (goose honking). I wouldn't think it'd hit him so hard, so fast if he picked it up in daycare. which is why I suspect the shot - he had the shot at the end of a week (like a thurs), went to daycare the end of the following week (a fri), and was sick on saturday. (to the best of my memory, it was a year ago)

my question is should I be leary of getting the vaccine again? should I opt for the shot instead of the nasal?

either way, he needs to be protected if he's to attend daycare in the future. I realize he's at risk without it, but don't want to cause the illness by getting the vaccine. (I hope this makes sense)

Prin
October 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I was just wondering if getting KC from a vaccine happens.Yes, it definitely does.

Maybe get the shot this time and see if it does anything different. But keep in mind that it takes at least two weeks to really have any effect, so if he's going into the kennel again, and gets it again, you might be left wondering again where the KC came from.:shrug:

OntarioGreys
October 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
First off not every strain is covered with the kc vaccine and as Prin mention it also takes a bit of time from immunitity to develop after recieving.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2006, 11:40 PM
First off not every strain is covered with the kc vaccine and as Prin mention it also takes a bit of time from immunitity to develop after recieving.

OG is right. We found it out the hard way. I think the current KC vaccines cover about 4 of the more common strains of kennel cough; however, like the human cold, bordatella evidently comes in dozens of varieties. Although our dogs have had the bordatella vaccination, we've had two cases where one of the pack has contracted a form of KC the vaccine doesn't touch and brought it home to the other 5. Ironically, both times, our ground zero case was contracted at the vet's office...

I'm not saying that it's not possible to get KC from the vaccine--just that Tucker might also have contracted a strain that wasn't covered by the vaccine. And it is drattedly easy to catch... He could have caught it at the vet's office the day he got vaccinated or by exchanging sniffs with a dog on a walk or at a dog park.