Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My New Pups are Home with Me

kimglenwood
October 24th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Bo has an enlarged head from his hydrocephalus but is doing well on meds once a day while his sister is the terror of the house very hyper and just perfect. I need to change her name from Bella to something more suitable, she's wild child, really cute and totally a bundle of energy, while Bo is laid back and quiet and just as loving and affectionate as his sister, they make an awesome pair. Here are some pics in my hand, they are almost too tiny, its a little nervewracking but wonderful! Bo will have his shunt operation in 8 months while the little girl will have her knee operation around the same time and then hopefully all will be well!:pray: :pray:

Prin
October 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Very cute!

Why does the girl need a knee operation so soon? :(

LibbyP
October 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Very cute babies, she should have a name like 'Rizzo'(from Grease) alittle bit of a wild child but deep down a heart of gold. Cannot wait to see up-dated pics of the two as they grow:D glad you went with two, how would you have ever been able to pick just one?

kimglenwood
October 24th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks Prin and Libby, great name, I love it, The little girl needs an operation this soon because on a scale of 1 to 5 for a luxating patella she is already a 3 at only nine weeks, so she could be a little lame and/or arthritic a lot sooner then we first thought, I guess the operation heals them but the only risk is her size, she's so small, so we are praying she grows quite a bit by the time she has too much trouble walking, she is very bowlegged when she walks but still does not show signs of distress in any way:fingerscr

Inverness
October 24th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I didn't get a chance to ask you in the other thread, but this breeder you got the puppies from, now that she has produced two very sick puppies in one litter, has she retired both dam and sire to avoid producing other sickly pups in the future ? Were her dogs health-tested before she had this litter ?

BusterBoo
October 24th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Kim, they are both absolutely adorable and they couldn't have found a better forever home! I know you will do everything possible to make them healthy, happy furbabies!

Congrats!!!!!

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Aww...they are really cute. Fingers crossed that both of their operations go well. :fingerscr :fingerscr

kimglenwood
October 25th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I didn't get a chance to ask you in the other thread, but this breeder you got the puppies from, now that she has produced two very sick puppies in one litter, has she retired both dam and sire to avoid producing other sickly pups in the future ? Were her dogs health-tested before she had this litter ?

Yes, Inverness, Mom is definitely retired, she had other litters over the past 5 years that were well but both her and her sister have just produced these last litters with problems so both are getting spayed right away. I am not sure what will happen with Dad, he has not produced any problems with the other dams. But so far both babies are handling their problems well. Thanks to everyone else too, for their lovely compliments!:D

BMDLuver
October 25th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I would say get another opinion on the luxating patella when she reaches 8 months of age. They most likely are going to be under 5lbs and it 90% of the time does not bother the little ones at all. They run like heck, halt to fix the kneecap then go like blue blazes again. Seriously, I have a fair amount of experience with luxating patellas now. My vet has a saying and thank heavens he does or too many dogs would go under the knife unnecessarily... it's this "treat the dog not the xray" . Something to bear in mind for the future. Also, if in fact you do go forward with surgery, go for the remove the cap, put the pin diagonal surgery. Faster recovery and less immobility in later years. JMHO though.

They both look so fragile and sweet. They would be crushed in my house with 120lb Berners.:eek:

kimglenwood
October 25th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks, BMDluver, I need to hear about anyone who knows anything about either one of their problems, I appreciate the info and will definitely watch out for needless surgery if I can at all help it! Thanks again so much:thumbs up