Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thinning fur?? Help!

LM1313
October 23rd, 2006, 11:21 PM
I looked at Booster today and thought, "Gee, his forehead looks more . . . pink than I remember." Well, he has two patches of fur between his ears and his eyes that are definitely thinned out! He's not actually bald there, but there's way less fur than there should be. :(

Here's a picture . . . It's not totally accurate to life, but fairly close:

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitties/2006_10_23/Thinning.jpg

What could be causing this? Is he missing something in his diet? Could it be stress? The rest of his fur appears fine.

I'm going to call the vet on Monday, but usually it takes a while to get a non-emergency appointment, due to their office hours and my work schedule. :sad:

Prin
October 24th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Does he rub a lot? Does he seem itchy?

(he's a very pretty kitty, btw)

coppperbelle
October 24th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Your vet may want to check his thyroid. It is a simple blood test.

LM1313
October 24th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Well, he sucks on Remy's neck a lot, but I would think that would effect his whole face, not just above his eyes. Something weird I noticed is that the pink bald patches are in stripes and all the remaining fur is white, almost like it's just his orange hair falling out. I did notice him scratching a lot yesterday, but didn't think anything of it at the time.

I'll definitely ask about a thyroid test!

Laurissa
August 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your cat? I have five cats and they all have this problem. Vet can't seem to find it. I'm curious did you ever find a solution? I see you are in Spokane, we're in CDA so if there's a specific place that sells something for it I'd be able to go. Thanks!
Laurissa

kiara
August 14th, 2007, 06:19 PM
It could be food allergies, which usually causes hair loss on the face. Or maybe your cat got into something outside, or thyroid problems? Good luck, let us know what the vet said.