Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat sitting Diabetic cat: questions

dogmelissa
October 23rd, 2006, 08:29 PM
I am cat sitting 2 kitties. Lincoln is diabetic. I have been there 3 times in the last 2 weeks (twice on the weekend) to learn how to give him his insulin. Each time, he got up on "his chair" and grudgingly let me give him his shot. Of course, his momma and daddy were there all 3 times, so he was behaving wonderfully. Not that I expected him to just roll over and take it today, when I'm all alone, but I was hoping that he would. And of course, he didn't. Got in his chair, but is hissing, growling and if I get too close, swatting at me. Obviously giving him his shot is out of the question. I've sent a message to his parents asking if they have any advice and what happens if he doesn't get his shot, but I haven't heard yet. So, to anyone with a diabetic pet, can you please tell me what happens if he doesn't get his shot? He normally gets .2cc every 12 hours, which is being cut down to .2cc once a day while I'm taking care of him, which the vet has said is ok. But what happens if he only gets a shot every other day? I don't want to make the kitty sick, this is their first vacation in *years*! Any advice? :confused: :sad:

Melissa

Sweetgrass
October 23rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
hello...I have a diabetic cat in remission.....

How is his health otherwise right now? Has there been any concern of ketones that you know of???

If you are already powering shots to once a day, he runs the risk of his numbers going higher which increase the risks of ketones....if you are up for it , you can test for this with ketodiastix and catching a little pee in the litter box....
I found this fairly easy...as soon as I clean the litter box, my cat goes in and pees....if you lay some saran wrap across the top,you get a puddle you can stick a strip in and get a test for ketones done...this will let you know if missing shots is causing any issues for him.....

If ketones are present...trip to vet a.s.a.p.

Of course giving the shot is the most ideal.... a few tricks to that....

you can make a kitty burrito by wrapping in a towel like a burrito, just the head and back of neck sticking out...holding between your legs on the floor... properly tenting at the back of his neck, just above the shoulder blades and giving injection....
you can also try giving him his favourite food, while he is eating, give him his shot....

I am a member of a feline diabetes board who I know would be happy to assist.....I will private message you that info.....look up under the blue box at the top of this page where it says welcome dogmelissa.....

Kimmee

dogmelissa
October 23rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. As I said, I'm only cat-sitting, so I know very little of his overall health. I believe he goes in fairly regularly (3 months?) for blood tests to make sure things are still ok, but I guess he's been pretty stable.

How long can it take for him to develop ketones? They are back Saturday, and just left this morning (Monday: he did not have a shot this am), so his last shot was a little more than 24 hrs ago.

I tried coercing him with food... he's too smart for that and wouldn't let me get a hand on him. I may have to try the burrito approach, but to be honest, after the stories I heard about what he does to the vet, that might cause more harm to me than him not getting his shot would cause to him. :frustrated:

I'll check in with the board, maybe there is someone in town who can come and help me.
Thanks,
Melissa

Sweetgrass
October 23rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
That's great to check in....it is possible that puss could be fine....but I would not want to advise missing doses...that would be a vet question.....

It's great you are helping and showing so much concern...keep us posted...Kimmee

dogmelissa
October 23rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Good news! I brought in the reinforcements (my bf) and Lincoln wasn't thrilled, but he got his shot. He got extra treats for being good (he'd had a few when I was trying to make him like me).

So tomorrow I'll go again and try him alone and then if I need help, I'll get my bf to come and help me after. I don't know why it made a difference; Lincoln let Adam pet him right away. He was still hissy to me, so I told Adam to keep rubbing his head, and then he let me give him his shot. Maybe he sensed I was nervous. :shrug:

Maybe because he didn't get his shot today until later, I can give him one in the morning. I guess it can't hurt to go and try, and if he's upset, then I'll just leave it until evening. I don't want him to hate me, but I'd personally feel better if he was getting his twice daily shots (even though they told me the vet said once is better than none). It was about 8:30 when he got it, so I'll aim for that time in the am.

Well, I guess until tomorrow.... thanks Kimmee!!

Melissa

Sweetgrass
October 23rd, 2006, 09:51 PM
well done!!!!yay...shot is muuuuch better than no shot....try to make sure they are 12 hours apart if you do go in the morning....

Yay!!!!!!!

Kimmee