Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Infected Dew Claw

H.P.
October 23rd, 2006, 07:36 PM
I think that my pup has an infected dew claw. Well, not the claw itself, but the area around it. It is sightly red and swollen, and a little sensitve to my touching where the nail attaches at the bottom, no drainage. I noticed it last night, and peroxided it, and antibacterial ointment, and again this morning. It still looks the same tonight, no better, no worse. I am going to try to soak it tonight in some warm salt water, I am not sure she will go for that though. If it gets any worse, or does not improve in the next day or 2, I will take her to the vet. Just thought I would see if anyone knew of anything else I could do to help her out.

Prin
October 23rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
The part that's infected is the base of it? Maybe it got caught on something. Maybe you should ask your vet if it should be removed.:shrug:

Angies Man
October 23rd, 2006, 09:40 PM
I think I'd go ahead and take the pup to the vet. If it is infected, it will need to be healed up and healthy before the vet can remove the dew claw (which should be done.) Not a good idea to operate on infected tissue--unless there's no other alternative (as in the tissue is getting gangrenous.)

But the doc should at least have a look--he/she has access to more effective & appropriate antibiotics that we do.