Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

7 yr old boy air lifted after being mauled by family pet

Rottielover
October 22nd, 2006, 11:36 AM
How can parents justify this...........
DOG MAULING: 7-year-old air lifted to Chicago

BY DEBORAH LAVERTY

MERRILLVILLE | A 7-year-old Merrillville boy left home alone was viscously bitten several times by the family's pet Rottweiler Thursday afternoon, police said.

Bamba Niang, the son of Moussa Niang, was initially transported to The Methodist Hospitals Southlake Campus and then airlifted to the University of Chicago Hospital trauma unit, Police Chief Nicholas Bravos said.

"When police and paramedics arrived, the boy was in critical condition with numerous bite wounds on the leg, thigh, and head. Some of these wounds were so serious you could see all the way to the bone," Bravos said.

The chief said dispatchers received a call at 2:46 p.m. from the 6900 block of Madison Street. The caller, Cathy Paxton, identified herself to police as the boy's stepmother, Bravos said.

Once on the scene, police interviewed a neighbor who said Paxton had gone to work at a nearby business and left the boy at home.

"The neighbor told police she heard screaming but couldn't get into the duplex, so she went to the business and brought the stepmom home immediately," he said.

Paxton arrived home and called 911, he said.

In addition to the Rottweiler thought to be responsible for the attack, there were one or two other dogs inside the house with the boy at the time, the chief said.

Police took the Rottweiler to the Hobart Humane Society for observation.

The 7-year-old is not enrolled at any Merrillville schools, and the family has recently moved to the area from Ohio, Bravos said.

The incident remains under investigation, Bravos said.

"If criminal charges can be sought, we will be the first to bring them forward," Bravos said. ".This is a shame and something that could be prevented. Leaving a 7-year-old with large animals is something no one should do."

He added, "As a parent, it melts you to see a child and what horror and fear he went through. My heart goes out to the child, and I hope he's able to recover."

I watched the video, I can not believe what idiots are doing to my favorite breed. Not only that, how say they say the other dog was not the one who started the attack:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 22nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
That is horrible - no child should be left alone with a dog - let alone left alone for a day while the parent went to work - and why wasnt the kid in school - there is something seriously wrong with that - that parent will need to pay big time consequences for that.

At what age is it okay to leave kids at home alone - our community centre has a program that teaches 8 year olds to be home alone - but I wouldn't leave my 8 year old home with my 5 year old - and I wouldnt trust Joey to be with my kids alone for an extended period of time - just because he can be moody at times - I think no matter how much we love our pets, even if the animal has never shown signs of aggressions before - we need to protect them and our kids from ever getting into these situations - better safe than sorry I say :(

I hope that boy will be okay.

Rottielover
October 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
I feel so sick to my stomache reading that, I keep on getting shivers. I look at kayla, and think, how can someone be so niave and stupid. Even if I go to my neighbors for a sec, I always put harley in his crate. They are never alone, even for a second.
One bump from him, can have her flying, crack her head. I take no chances.
Why are these people allowed to have kids???

Prin
October 22nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Definitely the dog's fault. I hope they fired him and didn't pay him for his babysitting services.:rolleyes:
Hairy Poppins....

Seriously, what a bunch of morons. Seven year olds are so tiny too.:(

rainbow
October 23rd, 2006, 01:38 AM
A seven year old is definitely too young to be left alone with or without a dog in the house. That poor little boy....what a tragedy. :sad:

I hope there are laws in Ohio so that the step-mom can be charged. :fingerscr