Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is dying - what to expect

HeatherRF
October 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
Hi, I'm new here. My cat, Motley is an 18 year old female calico. I lost her sister back in March. She suddenly went blind and within a day or two was very ill. I took her to the vet to have her humanly put down when I saw she was suffering.

Motley isn't suffering. She is just lying in my bedroom closet. She doesn't want to eat, drink and hasn't gone to the bathroom in over 24 hours. Yesterday morning she was fine, had her breakfast and then by 11 am had vomitted, urinated and deficated on the dinning room floor. She then moved to the sofa where she stayed until 5 am this morning. I brought her to bed with me at 5 am because she seemed cold. I cuddled with her for about an hour and then she tried to get down from the bed, so I placed her on the floor and she hobbled unsteadily into the closet where she still is 6 hours later. She still purrs when I pat her and responds to my touch.

I'm just wondering what I should expect. The vet told me back in March that cats often die like this (they go off on their own) and won't eat or drink. I know that if she begins to suffer that I will take her in to be euthanized (sp?), but would prefer she died naturally at home.

Any advise?

cpietra16
October 22nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Please take her to the vets. When cats go into hiding it usually means they are very sick. I would take her in. It may just be that she's sick. My cat was fine until 20 years old, then she became sick and needed meds. She lived happily until she was 22. Please take her in. She may be suffering.

badger
October 22nd, 2006, 01:26 PM
I agree, waste no time, emergency vet if necessary.
The purring means nothing, cats are the ultimate stoics. She needs hydrating immediately and then a full assessment. If it is in your power to help her recover - or at least relieve her pain if it is sans espoir - then you must do it. You sound like a very compassionate person but a cat that does not eat or drink, is restless and prone to hiding, is by definition in trouble.
Please let us know what happens. I'm so sorry, this must be tough.

HeatherRF
October 22nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Nature took it's own course. She passed away peacefully on her own about an hour ago. I had put her in a basket with blankets and was checking on her every few minutes. I held her for a bit - she never struggled or was suffering. I expected I would take her in if she got worse, but she just went on her own.

Thanks again for your help.

technodoll
October 22nd, 2006, 11:24 PM
heather, i am truly sorry to hear that... :rip: sweet kitty. she had a long and wonderful life, i am sure, to have her last moments at home, near you, purring as she crossed the bridge...

happycats
October 23rd, 2006, 07:22 AM
I am so sorry for your loss:rip: but I am sure she had a peaceful passing, because you were there with her.
RIP sweet girl.

Angies Man
October 23rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
You know, I am really sorry you've lost your cat.

But, you're so lucky to have had a loved and loving pet for such a long time! I guess I'd be rejoicing in her long and wonderful life, and celebrate her passing on to the next step.

It's nice when a pet lives a long graceful life and can spend it's last days in quiet and dignity. Peace to you and your cat. :rip:

~michelle~
October 23rd, 2006, 10:28 PM
so sorry for your loss:rip:

LM1313
October 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :sad: