Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

wendyr

wendyr
October 22nd, 2006, 10:59 AM
:pawprint: I recently rescued an 8 week old kitten that has never been in a house and was born outside to a feral mother. I already have a 10 year old female cat ( the kitten is male) and was wondering what the best way of intrducing these two guys. The kitten is currently in my laundrey room with it's bed, food etc. I should mention the the 10 year old female is VERY territorial, but I think I can make this work. Any suggestions?? Thanks for your help

badger
October 22nd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Since the kitten is still very young to be introduced to anybody other than its mother (that's you), there is absolutely no rush.
On the other hand, what if he brought out her maternal side and she helped to raise him, which would be much better for the kitten.
Before doing the intros, switch their bedding after a couple of days' use, so each will be accustomed to the other's scent. In fact, I'm not sure about the science, but she may be able to figure out quite a bit just from his scent.
Introduce them in the most neutral territory in the house and supervise them very very closely. Even if everything goes well, I would continue to be vigilant and perhaps separate them during your absence.
On the other hand, if the kitten is truly feral and always in 'fight or flight' mode, the process will be much longer, you'll need to get him settled down first before any intros.
Either way, the earlier you get him neutered the better.

MyBirdIsEvil
October 22nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
There's no rush to actually introduce them. I would start putting the kittens scent on stuff that your kitty has positive associations with (such as a toy), so that she learns to associate his scent with something positive too, and then wait until she doesn't have a negative reaction to his smell.
Since your female is so territorial, chances are that if you introduce them right now it will end in a huge fight. An 8 week old kitten is a bit past the age where an adult cat will sometimes recognize it as a baby and treat it differently than a fully grown cat, and some cats even have a negative reaction to very very young kittens, so going by age shouldn't really be a factor.