Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help My Labrador Is Vomitting

Hagrid
October 22nd, 2006, 04:13 AM
Help please..!!! My Black Labrador is vomitting!!!
He just turned 1 year old this october I dunno why all of a sudden he started vomitting.
Well, there was a time where I can't fine his usual dog food which is Eukanuba that's why I decided to give him rice and liver spread.But there was'nt any vomitting then.After that I still can't find a eukanuba so I bought pedigree he just ate it for 2 days because he's having diarrhea.So luckily I found a pet shop with eukanuba and gave him.That is where it started, It was not everyday that he vomits but in a week he usually vomits 3 times.This happens after feeding.
I dunno if it has something to do with the manner he was fed during the time he wasnt given his preferred brand or if he is stressed because after eating he is still put in the cage.
Do you think he needs to be free from the cage after eating?
One more problem...the reason why I cage him is because he kept on jumping to us and he is too heavy and his nails are sharp .He is freed from the cage when we all go to work and school thats the time he can roam around the garden.When my kids are about to go home that's the time we cage him.WE walk him in the morning and evening.Do you have any suggestions on how he can behave so that we can play with him without us being scratched..We love him dearly

bmerc
October 22nd, 2006, 04:50 AM
Perhaps he is eating too much at one time. Usually the amount stated on the bag is excessive. My dog, a pug, eats 1 cup/ day. His recommended amount is 2. Ask a vet about how much he should really be taking in. Also split it into several meals, not just one a day. The sickness could also be due to changes in diet and the high fat content in a liver spread. If yyou cannot easily find Eukanuba Iams is made by the same company. To get your dog to stop jumping up try ignoring him when he tries to instead of pushing him away, whicch seems like play. If you hold back your hands it may send him a message. For every behaviour there is a reward, or else it would not be repeated. Pay close attention to how everyone responds to this behaviour and make sure everyone responds in the future by withdrawing attention. Hopefully your pooch will catch on.

Prin
October 22nd, 2006, 05:00 AM
Have you been to a vet yet?

How much exercise does your dog get every day? A very tired dog is a calm dog... Have you done any obedience training with him?

Frenchy
October 22nd, 2006, 09:26 AM
One more problem...the reason why I cage him is because he kept on jumping to us and he is too heavy and his nails are sharp .He is freed from the cage when we all go to work and school thats the time he can roam around the garden.
So when you guys are home,he's cage in? I think you need to go to obedience class. And did you mix in the new and old food slowly,a drastic change can cause diaria.

erykah1310
October 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Do you think he needs to be free from the cage after eating?

Yes

One more problem...the reason why I cage him is because he kept on jumping to us and he is too heavy and his nails are sharp .
Training and regular nail clipping will solve this!

He is freed from the cage when we all go to work and school thats the time he can roam around the garden.When my kids are about to go home that's the time we cage him.
SO when does he get to interact with the family then????

And finally!!!!

Do you have any suggestions on how he can behave so that we can play with him without us being scratched..We love him dearly

Your dog needs some obiedence training!!!!! He needs to feel like part of the family and not a caged animal!!!! If you wanted an animal that lives in a cage you should have thought about a hamster!!!!

If you love him "dearly" he would be a "member" of the family! If he spent less time " caged" he wouldnt have such an over abundance of energy and so much excitement when he allowed out to interact with everyone!

As far as the vomiting, by not switching his food gradually you could have cause a stomach upset, however, if he is vomiting that badly he should see a vet! A vet can answer your question on why he is doing this much bettter than internet folks!

Good luck!

ShaggyRudy
October 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Hagrid -
I think it's going to take patience and focus. My first thought was exactly what the others said about the quick switch in diet. It's so important to switch over gradually by mixing the new food in with the existing to start. Then increase the new day by day while decreasing the existing. I know you couldn't find the Eukanuba, and that's what your dog was used to, so I'm not trying to offend you, I'm just giving my opinion.

I agree with Erykah...the dog has got to interact with the family! If he's always caged, it makes sense as to why he's jumping up all the time when he's finally out of the cage, right?

Our dog jumps up all the time, too and it drives me crazy. When I ignore him, it seems to help. I just look straight up at the ceiling - I don't look at him, I don't touch him, I don't speak or yell at him. He will finally back down. However, I can't get my husband to stay consistant with this, so the dog really isn't learning to STOP jumping up :(

Get to a vet!
Good luck. Keep us updated.

rainbow
October 23rd, 2006, 02:13 AM
I agree with everything erykah said. Good luck and please post with updates. :fingerscr