Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please advise....has anyone experienced these symptoms

bmerc
October 22nd, 2006, 12:00 AM
I have just finished reading through every post on vomitting dogs and cannot find my dogs symptoms. I have a 4 yr. old, extremely well cared for pug. This summer he experienced a bout of pancreatitis. He has been placed on a very low fat diet, several small meals per day and has shown marked improvement in his lipase levels and is now in the normal range according to a TLI test. Last night he woke me at 4 crying to go outside, he had a small bowel movement, still formed but a bit looser. 1 1/2 hours later, he did the same. An hour later he woke me by vomitting his dinner from last night....completely undigested. Another hour later he wanted out again and had another small BM. By noon he had vomitted again, his behaviour was still bright and alert. He vomitted one more time...now very liquid yellow bile. I took him to the vet and they said it was probably his pancreas since he still had a higher than normal lipase level. Although his lipase has been much, much higher and he is been asymptomatic. Also he is on such a strict diet there is nothing he has had to trigger it. I was sent home with the advice to hold food for twelve hours and an anti-nauseant medication metaclopamine. He was really tired and fell asleep for some time. His behaviour was completely normal until he vomitted yellow bile again 5 hours after being at the clinic. I can tell he is still quite nauseous....licking his lips, being very needy and uninterested in water. I think he may have an upset stomach not pancreatitis because he has no pain, he was running around and jumping earlier today. Any thoughts, Ièm becoming very upset.

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2006, 12:20 AM
Sorry your little one is sick, bmerc. I have no experience with pancreatitis, but I do know that any time a dog is throwing up and not drinking water, you have to worry about dehydration. Any dog, and I think especially smaller dogs, can dehydrate very quickly. You need to get him back into the vet as soon as possible. If it were my dog, I'd contact the vet tonight. Do you have an after-hours or emergency number for your vet clinic?

bmerc
October 22nd, 2006, 12:24 AM
I have given him some water mixed with pedialyte to keep him hydrated, as per the vet, and checking his gums. I am trying to keep him from the stress of hospitalization. When he was there last time he refused to eat or drink without me being there with him.

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
I have given him some water mixed with pedialyte to keep him hydrated, as per the vet, and checking his gums. I am trying to keep him from the stress of hospitalization. When he was there last time he refused to eat or drink without me being there with him.

Did he drink it? If he doesn't drink, you may have no choice but to bring him in. And I'd still call the vet tonight for advice if you can--maybe the vet can give you some help over the phone.

bmerc
October 22nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
In the last 10 hours he only threw up once, yellow bile, after he was running around a bit. He does not have diarrhea so the vet wasnèt overly concerned about dehydration if I give him electrolytes, water and his condition does not worsen. But he is feeling very badly still.

bmerc
October 22nd, 2006, 12:30 AM
I gave him the solution with a baby syringe, he has kept it down

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2006, 12:33 AM
I've no more advice, but I hope your boy gets better soon. :pray: :fingerscr Keep us posted!

mummummum
October 22nd, 2006, 01:19 AM
Poor little pug-a-lug ~ I'm sorry you aren't well. :grouphug:
Hugs to you too bmerc, I know how very upsetting it is having a sick boobabala.

Is it possible he shnarffled something when you were out on your walk ? Or snuck something out of the human-food cache ? Or may have got pesticides/ cleaning products on his paws and then cleaned himself? Can I suggest retracing your steps and walking around the area you were in before he became ill as well as doing a quick once-over of your house?

Did the Vet suggest adding gravol or pepto if your boy didn't respond to the anti-nauseant? Hopefully there is an afterhours or emerg Vet in your area if your boy remains nauseous or is vomitting.:fingerscr

Prin
October 22nd, 2006, 01:44 AM
Is it possible he's intolerant to his food? My Boo used to get super sick for days because his body couldn't handle chicken and the reaction he had caused bacterial overgrowth, which caused diarrhea and vomiting. He usually threw up bile when he was like that. He'd get two shots- one antibiotic and one anti-nausea. It was only when I got him off of chicken foods that he stopped throwing up and getting into these cycles.

Not sure if that's what is going on with your doggy, but I thought I'd suggest it...:o

rainbow
October 22nd, 2006, 02:12 AM
I think Prin made a good suggestion. What type of food are you feeding your dog?

bmerc
October 22nd, 2006, 03:39 AM
I have been feeding him NutroMax Lite. I have found that it has the lowest overall % of fat, even less than the recommended Royal Canin LF30. He has begun drinking water on his own and is having bouts of restlessness, pacing and some gas. I swear he has stomach irritation because when he was sick before with pancreatitis he was not interested in water, was panting and cried if his stomach was touched. I took his temperature and it is normal and gave him a little pepto 1/2 tsp. He was thoroughly unimpressed but is currently sleeping away.

Prin
October 22nd, 2006, 03:58 AM
Actually, with the Nutro at 8% fat (from what I found on the net), there are a few out there with lower fat and better ingredients... Like this one:
http://www.omhpet.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixWeightManag ement

Or this one:
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=6&code=160

The second one might be better to try because it is missing the chicken, just in case the chicken is causing the problem.

puppyloverx3
October 22nd, 2006, 11:41 PM
These sympatoms sound exactly like what our pup had when we brought her home. We took her to our vet who recommended no food/water for 10 hrs in which time she became dehydrated, we brought her in and they gave her IV overnight and sent home next day. She was playing fine and about 24hrs later she started show same signs, called vet back and they didn't seem concerned, just said to keep her on antibiotics for her upset tummy. Got a second opinion, where she was tested positive for Parvo, and stayed another 3 1/2 days on IV. She is home now and recovering but its the dehydration that can come on so quickly with small dogs. I know it can be fatal in puppies, not sure about dogs with routine shots. Either way I would definately get her in to the vets, if she's dehydrated she wont want to eat anyway and will have to be on IV. Good Luck and I hope it isn't Parvo or anything else serious!

coppperbelle
October 23rd, 2006, 05:55 AM
The last vomit of yellow bile may be from hunger. His stomach is empty from the other vomiting he did.
I didn't have a great experience with Nutro food and vomiting. It might be a good time to look for a different food.

rainbow
October 23rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
I also used to feed Nutro and my dogs vomited yellow bile. I have also read on other forums that lots of people have had the same problem with their dogs. :(

If you want a low fat food I would agree with the Wellness Super5Mix Weight Management or the Solid Gold Holistique Blendz that Prin suggested. ;)

Also, I found puppyloverx3 post interesting....has your dog been tested for parvo? :fingerscr

mafiaprincess
October 23rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
When we used to feed nutro we had many days of puked up neon yellow bile. Think it's a not nice nutro thing. yuck.

jesse's mommy
October 23rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Jesse did alright on Nutro when we first took the "holistic" step. I knew it wasn't the greatest food, but it's all I could find at the time. Anyway, after a few months of being on it, she too started with the yellow vomiting. We then switched to Wellness, which she did great on. The only thing with the Wellness, there were times where she just didn't want to eat it. That and the fact that we were not happy with the customer service of the store we were buying it from made us look to switch again. We are now on Merrick. She loves it. She hasn't skipped a meal yet. :o The only thing with the Merrick is that we found that she has an intolerance to duck, but that was easy, we just don't buy the food that has duck in it. Anyway, to get back on track, yes she vomited yellow bile on Nutro.

bmerc
October 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Updates..Saturday night my dog was having a rough time. He kept pacing and had a sore belly. He was licking his lips -a sign of nausea- depsite being given an anti-nauseant. He also was very gaseous and had a rumble in his gut that did not sound like hunger. I called the emergency clinic and said that his symptoms seemed different and that it seemed more like a stomach issue than pancreatitis. The vet on duty completely disagreed and told me that I probably had a chronic case on my hands and was in for a long road ahead. I could not understand how it could be pancreatitis when he is on a strict diet and I have worked so long on finding him a diet which lowered his blood levels.....I had just gotten a TLI test back and he was finally in the normal range. The on call vet said if he worsened bring him in. Yesterday when Chester woke up he began to vomit clear saliva. I took him back to emerg. this vet seemed more open to the idea that it could be something other than pancreatitis. He had bloodwork and it was perfect, then an x-ray, perfect and an ultrasound on his abdomen....all normal. His diagnosis possible bacterial/ viral gastriris (stomach virus). He is been given antibiotics, Medi-cal hypoallergenic food for easy digestion. He is eating and seems much better. Lesson learned... some vets will revert to a previous condition for a diagnosis.....I had to push for further tests. Iive had some mention from others about switching diets. Chester is aa pug, prone to weight gain and has had a pancreas problem in the past. He needs an extremely low fat diet (max 7% ). He has tried Medi-cal and Royal Canin prescription diets. I was combining with Nutro because of price, and because it was the lowest fat I could find in a pet store. Royal Canin LF is $30 a bag and I am not convinced it is worth the cost. I am interested in finding something of high quality that I can get readily at a pet store or vet office, but is not overly priced. I love my boy can not justify the cost of these foods.

Prin
October 23rd, 2006, 03:40 PM
Have you looked for the ones I posted? They might be more expensive, but the ingredients are far better and your dog will be much healthier.

rainbow
October 23rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
I agree. A better food = a healthier dog = less veterinary bills. Also check the feeding guidelines. With some of the better quality foods you need to feed less so therefore the bag lasts longer.

mafiaprincess
October 23rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Highest quality from a vets office is oxy moronic.. And if by pet store you mean like a petsmart.. There little there I'd recommened either. You'd need to be checking out feed stores for foods really.

bmerc
October 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Last night Chester was in excellent spirits for the first time since Friday. He is currently taking Metoclopramide (anti-nauseant) and Metronidazole (antibiotic). This morning he woke up and vomitted his last meal, he has not since and has shown an appetite and some energy. Could his nausea be from the antibiotic 7 hours after taking it....any experiences with these drugs would be helpful. Thanks.

In response to the last post, I typically buy food at the vet (Medi-cal) or small retail pet stores like Pet Valu. What would be considered a feed store and what would be a good product from one.

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Last night Chester was in excellent spirits for the first time since Friday. He is currently taking Metoclopramide (anti-nauseant) and Metronidazole (antibiotic). This morning he woke up and vomitted his last meal, he has not since and has shown an appetite and some energy. Could his nausea be from the antibiotic 7 hours after taking it....any experiences with these drugs would be helpful. Thanks.

We've often used metronidazole with our dogs. It's been well-tolerated and has caused no nausea. Typically, I think, if the antibiotic is going to irritate the stomach, it will occur within two hours of the dosing. 7 hours after the pill is given, it should already be out of the stomach. If the vomiting recurs, I'd consult with a vet again.

Prin
October 24th, 2006, 10:23 PM
In response to the last post, I typically buy food at the vet (Medi-cal) or small retail pet stores like Pet Valu. What would be considered a feed store and what would be a good product from one.
A feed store would be one that ONLY sells food. No animals.
And an example of the food they'd sell are the foods I posted above in post #12.

mafiaprincess
October 24th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Yes Pet Valu is a feed store. Look at Prin's post for food suggestions to look for there.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM
yes I agree Prin did have some good suggestions -she is very knowledgable about dog food. :)

rainbow
October 24th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Chester but are you reading any of our posts? :confused:

meb999
October 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I also agree with Prin, the first thing I would is change the food. We have an awesome food forum on the board : http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38

bmerc
October 25th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Today Chester seems to be doing fine...no vomitting, solid bowel movements and playful as ever. I think he had a case of gastritis or enteritits. I will look into Wellness and Solid Gold at my local store.:)

jawert1
October 25th, 2006, 06:55 PM
My Peaches used to have what I called Shepherd Stomach, which meant every so often, she'd just yarf everywhere, and in between bad bouts, she would vomit bile. We switched from Regal Turkey and Rice to Solid Gold Wolf King, and on top of that she stopped vomiting entirely (unless there was something really really wrong), both she and my pointer eat less (so I'm not spending tons each week on food), but they're very healthy. I know it seems kinda strange to buy really expensive food when you don't know what it could do, but higher quality kibble means you feed less with excellent results. Good luck and keep us posted on how your pup fares. :pawprint:

Prin
October 25th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Good luck! :)

pug lover
October 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM
how is the puglet keeping things down??

update please

frawlsco2
October 29th, 2006, 01:12 PM
You need to go to your vet again ASAP. My dog died in 2 days and she suffered. I couldnt believe how quick she detriorated. Read my post Acute canine Pancreatitis

bmerc
October 29th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Chester has been great all week...lots of energy, playful and a voracious appetite. He did have a vomitting spell this morning. Aside from this he's been fine all day. I stopped the anti-nauseant meds and he has tolerated the antibiotics well. He was up late last night playing with the neighbour's cat and I unknowningly woke him early for a meal and antibiotics...I think that is what upset his belly. But its so far so good at this point. Thanks for asking.:)

If he continues to vomit in the morning I won't hestitate to take him in. All his bloodwork is 100% normal as well as x-rays and ultrasounds. :thumbs up Hopefully this will pass soon.
Barbara

pug lover
October 30th, 2006, 07:17 AM
thanks for the update hope your puglet keeps getting better:thumbs up

bmerc
October 31st, 2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks for educating me in what I was putting into my pup's system! I was ignorant as to exactly what a by-product was:eek: I have scoured the feed stores in my area and though Prin probably won't be happy, I was unable to get the Holistic Blendz Solid Gold (needed the super-low fat content), no Wellness either and although I could ship it, shipping food from California just wasn't an economical option. I found the DVP Natural Balance brand and found their weight reduction formula to be pretty good. I also picked up one of their food rolls to crumble on his food and when I opened it I could've eaten it it smelled so good! I thought only the real bad stuff like Jerky treats could smell so appealing. Chester now will only get holistic treats too. I was quite surprised at the naturally low fat content in these products. So now it will probably be awhile before I see some improvements. One more day for him on medication, thank goodness! And hopefully no reoccurences in the future:fingerscr Thank goodness he has pet insurance, if you don't have it, its well worth it in instances like his. Thanks again!:D

Prin
October 31st, 2006, 07:23 PM
I have scoured the feed stores in my area and though Prin probably won't be happy, I was unable to get the Holistic Blendz Solid Gold (needed the super-low fat content), no Wellness either and although I could ship it, shipping food from California just wasn't an economical option. I found the DVP Natural Balance brand and found their weight reduction formula to be pretty good.Prin's... getting.... ANGRY!... :yell: Just kidding. The DVP's a bit grainy, but better than what you were feeding. Hopefully you'll see a drastic enough improvement anyway.:) Good food is the best! :D
Oh, and those dog food rolls aren't so great...:o They've got a lot of added sugar, along with wheat and other grains that might cause allergies... :shrug: No biggie though if your doggy isn't allergic to anything.