Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question re: Cats and chicken bones

Smiley14
October 21st, 2006, 09:28 PM
I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this question, but I don't know the answer, so I'm asking anyway! :)

Can anyone tell me if chicken bones can be harmful for cats? I picked up a small rotisserie chicken for supper last night and Billy is going wild over it. He hasn't been eating very well again :sad: so anything that tempts his appetite gets me excited! I gave him some of the meat yesterday and then decided to save all the leftovers for him since he loved it so much. So today, I had the carcuss out and was cutting more meat off the bone and he jumped up and ran off with a leg! I took it away from him, but don't want to take away his joy if it's harmless for him.

Anyone know? I've just always heard that chicken bones are dangerous for dogs, but have never heard either way for cats. :o

Thanks!
Steph

jiorji
October 21st, 2006, 09:57 PM
from what I know...chicken bones, the really small ones can be harmful because they're so small and sharp. Same as the fish bones.
I *think* the bigger bones are ok, but if i were you i'd break them up and make sure there's no sharpies hidden anywhere

Hunter's_owner
October 21st, 2006, 10:05 PM
Yeah I would make sure that there can be NO splinters come from it. Bone splinters can be quite dangerous...

les
October 21st, 2006, 10:10 PM
It's COOKED chicken bones that are dangerous. RAW bones are fine. The cooked bones can splinter. So as long as it was RAW it'll be fine =)

My dogs eat RAW and my kitty always jumps up and has some bites of meat and bone too ;)

Just wanted to add : any cooked bones are dangerous not just chicken and I would say smaller pieces are more dangerous because there could be sharp pieces, however, with larger pieces the kitty has to chew and can't just swallow so that would be better!

Inverness
October 21st, 2006, 10:12 PM
I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this question, but I don't know the answer, so I'm asking anyway! :)

Can anyone tell me if chicken bones can be harmful for cats? I picked up a small rotisserie chicken for supper last night and Billy is going wild over it. He hasn't been eating very well again :sad: so anything that tempts his appetite gets me excited! I gave him some of the meat yesterday and then decided to save all the leftovers for him since he loved it so much. So today, I had the carcuss out and was cutting more meat off the bone and he jumped up and ran off with a leg! I took it away from him, but don't want to take away his joy if it's harmless for him.

Anyone know? I've just always heard that chicken bones are dangerous for dogs, but have never heard either way for cats. :o

Thanks!
Steph

Make him some chicken stock. He'll love ya for it ! :)

Prin
October 21st, 2006, 10:19 PM
I agree with les. The cooked ones dry out and splinter.

technodoll
October 21st, 2006, 10:40 PM
it cannot be said enough... ANY AND ALL COOKED POULTRY BONES ARE DANGEROUS TO PETS. they can and do splinter into sharp, needle-like bits that can pierce the stomach and intestines, they are hard, brittle and undigestible. RAW poultry bones are soft, enzyme-rich and completely digestible as long as they are chewed well. Cooked bones of bigger mammals are also not safe, as dogs (and some cats!) can break off pieces which are swallowed and can cause intestinal blockage. stay safe... make broth with those cooked bones and give that instead :)

rainbow
October 21st, 2006, 10:52 PM
I agree with the others although I think they would be less dangerous for a cat because they can't chew them as fast. Will he let you hold it while he's chewing it? That way you can make sure it doesn't splinter. Try giving him a raw bone and see what he does or make a broth from the bones as was suggested.

So sorry to hear that Billy is going off his food again. :grouphug: I guess that means that the appetite supplement is no longer working. :sad: Keep us posted, Steph, and good luck. :fingerscr :fingerscr

Smiley14
October 21st, 2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys!!!!! In this case, it was a cooked chicken, so I'm so glad I didn't let him keep it!!! I'll just keep doing what I was doing yesterday and today and keep pulling the meat off to make sure there aren't any bones. I don't like looking at the carcuss or raw, but I am seriously considering raw for him now. It seems to be the final thing left to eat that he still goes wild over. He stopped eating the baby food and the cooked homemade cat food recipe I was using. He 'll eat the cooked chicken no problem, but I can't give him just that all the time of course. I think I'll go browse the raw food thread. For me, it's not so much about the cost but more about the grossness factor. :)

But anyway, THANK YOU so much for the info on chicken bones! :)

Steph

BCArlene
October 25th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Raw chicken necks are supposed to be good for cats. My cats aren't too fussy over raw so I haven't tried them but the bones are small and round and apparently good for the teeth.