Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about doggy doors

LM1313
October 21st, 2006, 03:33 PM
Something I have always wondered . . . If you have a doggy door and an indoor cat, how do you keep the cat from going out? :confused:

PetFriendly
October 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
Something I have always wondered . . . If you have a doggy door and an indoor cat, how do you keep the cat from going out? :confused:

You could get a door that has a magnetic lock. You hand the key from the dog's collar so the door only opens when the dog is standing there... Otherwise, just hope the cat doesn't figure it out (though they likely will...).

MyBirdIsEvil
October 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM
I dunno any people with indoor cats who have doggy doors, for that very reason.
If there's a way to get out your cat will find it.

erykah1310
October 21st, 2006, 05:07 PM
That is the number 1 reason I dont have a doggie door. ( Believe me i really want one though)

Mr Floyd is already an escape artist ( athough since he is neutered he has no idea why he wanted out there so bad once he gets there and is easy to catch) I just cant stand the thought of him being outside.

Cats are friggen smart and when they REALLY want to do something, they find a way!

Smiley14
October 21st, 2006, 06:35 PM
Actually, I have a doggie door and an indoor cat, and it's never been a problem. My doggie door is a patio door panel insert, and the rise is about 5 inches (how far bottom of opening is from floor). It shuts with several built in magnets. Mine was a special order from Moore Pets.
http://www.moorepet-petdoors.com/?OVRAW=moore%20pet%20door&OVKEY=door%20moore%20pet&OVMTC=standard

They carry higher quality than the ones you can buy in most pet stores. Mine is double-paned for the winter months and double flapped with a surprisingly strong seal. The cat has put his paws against it and it stays shut. I did not get an electronic door, but there are doggie doors that are available for issues like keeping other animals in or out. So it's possible!

With mine, I have a 6 foot wooden privacy fence and only one tree that's smack in the middle of a .25 fenced in backyard. So even if the cat ever got out the doggie door, he wouldn't get very far. He used to like going outside with me before he got sick and never escaped. So I suppose it just depends on your door and your situation! But it's possible. :)

Steph

glasslass
October 21st, 2006, 11:07 PM
T'Grr used to walk through the doggie door underneath Den-Den's tummy. Wish I had taken a picture - they were synchranized!

Smiley14
October 21st, 2006, 11:12 PM
LOL! That would've been an adorable pic!!!! Awww!

But that's why the rise is so important. Mine was made to be at Petey's knees and above Billy's head, so he would have to jump at the same time Petey ran through, but then he'd most likely smack himself into Petey's chest as it drags across the bottom. There just isn't room. It's all about how it's designed. :) At least that's what the company told me and what has proven true so far! (Knock on wood!) :) Although I suppose it's more effective on bigger dogs than smaller ones. ;)

Steph