Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What breed ?

Cathy1
October 21st, 2006, 03:07 PM
This is a relatives dog. They were told she was a Akbash and Huntaway (spelling ?). I have never heard of a Huntaway. What do you think ?

Sariss
October 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM
I can't see a picture? :(

rainbow
October 21st, 2006, 03:33 PM
Me either. :D

Cathy1
October 21st, 2006, 08:07 PM
Sorry, I was in a hurry. Duke & Jasper were going crazy because it was time for a walk. I only have these 2 pictures.

Inverness
October 21st, 2006, 08:15 PM
Where did the dog come from ? Cause these are two rare breeds, I don't even think we have NZ Huntaways here...:confused:

Cathy1
October 21st, 2006, 08:31 PM
They told me that a so called breeder bred Huntaways and Akbash and that one of them got into the other's kennel and they gave her too them because they couldn't sell her. They live out in Quesnel, British Columbia.

Inverness
October 21st, 2006, 08:36 PM
Oh ! You're right, I even found that breeder's website. Well that is possible then.

OntarioGreys
October 21st, 2006, 08:52 PM
Posted first then seen the earlier posts I had been looking for a breed that started with H
I guess could be, only reason I can see for combining the breeds though is to have a multi purpose farm dog who can herd and have a strong instinct to protect both flock and farm

Inverness
October 21st, 2006, 09:08 PM
Posted first then seen the earlier posts I had been looking for a breed that started with H
I guess could be, only reason I can see for combining the breeds though is to have a multi purpose farm dog who can herd and have a strong instinct to protect both flock and farm

I believe the op mentioned it was an accidental breeding.

Cathy1
October 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM
Yes it was accidental. She definitely loves to herd. She doesn't live on a farm, but when we went out there on vacation, she herded us. When I first saw her I thought she was part greyhound because of her slender long body, and speed.

Inverness
October 21st, 2006, 09:39 PM
Yes it was accidental. She definitely loves to herd. She doesn't live on a farm, but when we went out there on vacation, she herded us. When I first saw her I thought she was part greyhound because of her slender long body, and speed.

The Huntaway's standard does not appear to be very strict in terms of physical attributes - the working abilities are more important - but I've seen pictures of some quite slender dogs. Speed would be a definite must for a herding dog though.

vona
November 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM
This is a relatives dog. They were told she was a Akbash and Huntaway (spelling ?). I have never heard of a Huntaway. What do you think ?

I had an experience with this breeder. She breeds New Zealand Huntaways and Akbashes. I had an exceptional Huntaway who died last year November. I contacted her and was told she was selling pure-bred Huntaways. I paid $300 for a 12 week old puppy. When I took him to my vet for a check up and shots my vet called me and told me that she strongly suspected that 'Smudgie' was in fact part Akbash. I contacted the breeder and she admitted that she had two intact Akbash males and that the breeding had been unwitnessed. I complained (I have a multi-dog household and would not chosen this mixture, however, I was already bonded to the dog). She returned my money but stated she would not be responsible if anything untoward happened between this pup and my other dogs. I took my dog for professional training and I've been very fortunate in that he has turned out to be extremely 'soft' and gentle. Smudgie is now about 16 months old. I do remember her telling me that she had shipped several pups to the states and another one to Ontario. These dogs are not pure-bred Huntaways!

Cathy1
November 23rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
My relative knew that the dog was not a purebred, he got him for free. She is very well behaved, loveable and very protective of anyone around her.

vona
November 23rd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Well, this is the same experience I'm having. Smudgie is so sweet and gentle - I can fault him for anything. What I can fault the breeder for is that she said Smudgie was pure-bred Huntaway.

I took precautions because I knew he was a mixed-breed and I had him professionally trained. But, to tell you the truth - this dog, training or not - would be the sweetest thing around.

I can't speak for your dog. You just never know when you're mixing breeds. But, my experience has been that Smudgie is just about as perfect a dog as you would want.

What I can tell you is that several people have told me that they've had scarey encounters with the Akbashes from this breeder. I haven't but, I guess, it doesn't hurt to consider this information.

My 13 year old Belgian Shepherd recently lost his right front leg. Smudgie has guarded him and protected him in a way that is beyond what is expectable or even understandable.

Wherever Shadow is, Smudgie follows. It's amazing to watch. Smudgie seems to have taken the job of guarding Shadow as his life quest.

I can't speak for the rest of this breeder's puppies. I was worried because she insisted it was a pure-bred Huntaway litter. It wasn't.

I'm O.K. with how things are turning out but you just never know. I should tell you that when I heard about the fact that Smudgie may not have been pure-bred Huntaway, I put all my energy into socializing this dog.

What are your circumstances?