Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

injured claw

sherosa
October 21st, 2006, 02:11 PM
Hi friends,
I writing to ask about a claw injury my 5 y old cat has. It may have occurred days or even a week ago - probably when he tried to save himself from a fall off the windowsill. I went to clip his nails yesterday and found one was very sensitive, would not come out, and the nail bed appeared swollen and separated from the nail. The nail is there. It has a mild odor but isn't any stronger than his breath and he is not licking it excessivly. It is not bleeding and doesn't have obvious pus. He is not limping and is behaving normally. My gut tells me leave it alone! But I keep thinking of this wound and wonder if I should be treating it! Also I read online that clipping claws can cause problems - maybe it is not an injury? What should i look for if it is getting worse? How do i know it's getting better?
Tahnks for your help,
Sherosa:)

rainbow
October 21st, 2006, 03:55 PM
We are not vets here and cannot diagnose something like that over the internet. I would take your cat to the vet and have it checked out and then post back with an update. :fingerscr

sherosa
October 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM
Thanks for your reply Rainbow,
I am going to wait and see if there are any changes - as i said he is acting perfectly normal - I really have no idea when he did this, he has given us no sign. There is no blood and no visible pus. I am not big on interventions I wonder if his saliva is the best thing for it i think that a vet visit would result in an antibiotic (perhaps unnecisarily). Sorry if you don't agree. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar situation - even the experience of discovering your cat has an injury a few days later. I feel a little guilty.:o
sherosa

vfrohloff
October 22nd, 2006, 08:35 AM
Part of the problem with cats and injuries is that often there is no visible sign of blood or pus. This is why they are so prone to abscesses. Your cat's toe could be abscessing and you'd never know it. If it has any kind of odor as you say it does, your cat needs to see a vet. An untreated abscess can make a cat really sick, and even kill them if left alone.

sherosa
October 23rd, 2006, 07:29 PM
I'm happy to report that the wounded claw looks like it is healing nicely. I will continue to check it twice a day to be sure. I have faith in an animal's ability to heal themselves, as long as they are acting normally (eating, playing, grooming) I think it is sometimes safe to wait and see. I hope some of you agree. Thank you for alerting me to the possability of something more serious going on and I was prepared at any time to take Sammy to the vet.
Thanks again for a great forum,
Sherosa:cat:

jawert1
October 24th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Cats acting normally is no significant indicator of good health. Anytime you're dealing with an extremity, which a paw is, you're looking at an area that has decreased blood flow, and so is more prone to going infectious, even if you don't see anything like an abcess. I would strongly recommend a checkup at your vet to be certain the nail hasn't fractured and splintered off in the paw.