Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hi, i'm a newbe

jane.louise2269
October 21st, 2006, 01:25 PM
hi there,

My name is jane and i recently aquired a dog, (it was me or a rescue centre)!! His name is max and he is an alaskan malamute of 2years and 6 months old with some very bad habits. From what i can gather he got to big for his owners and was pushed outside into a 6foot pen in the owners back garden, he was under weight (massively) and had some sort of cyst on his back.Anyway to cut a long story short i got him sorted out and i then got a dog gate for the kitchen, as when i go up to bed he follows me up and wakes up the kids and also pee's and poo's everywhere.(i dont think he's ever been house trained).
As soon as i put him in the kitchen for the night he goes crazy, biting the wood off the door frame and making very loud noises and of course peeing and pooing,
I would say it was separation anxiety but even when i am sitting right in front of the dog gate he still carry's on. can any tell me what is going on???? any advise would be most grateful. Thanks !!!!!!!::confused:

Prin
October 21st, 2006, 07:57 PM
I think you just have to treat him like a new puppy. He doesn't know anything- he spent his life alone, and nobody probably cared about where he "went" or how loud he was. I think you're going to need help from a trainer with this one.

rainbow
October 22nd, 2006, 01:59 AM
I agree. Poor Max has been basically ignored his whole life until you came along. He has never been house trained and never learned to love and be loved. :sad: I would start at square one and train him as if he were a puppy to pee and poop outside. You should also contact a trainer about obedience classes.

BTW, welcome to the forum. I love malamutes and we'd love to see pics of Max.

jane.louise2269
October 22nd, 2006, 08:38 AM
Hi,

A big THANK YOU!!! guys for your reply's and very warm welcome's!!!!!

I have had Max for about 4 months now and love him dearly, he is a lively chap and very loving and i am looking forwards to many happy years together. I will post some pics of Max up,( as soon as i learn how to do this:rolleyes: ), as i have loads of them already.
Once again, Thank you!!!!!

hazelrunpack
October 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Your Max looks like a happy boy--smart look in his eyes, too.

We also adopted a dog from a kennel situation--she spent the first year of her life away from canine and human companionship. She's still slower to learn than the others, but she only rarely goes into her 'head and tail down, stiff-legged, i-don't-know-what-you-want-me-to-do' stance anymore. Her confidence is up, she knows a few basic commands and is learning more, and she actually plays with the other dogs now!

She was never as loud or persistent as Max--you may need the advice of a trainer to get started and get him over the most difficult of his problem behaviors--but I'm sure he'll catch on and become a very good boy. Gentle persistence and confidence-building always pays off.:thumbs up

Make sure you keep us posted on Max's progress--and with more pics, please! :D

rainbow
October 22nd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Max is gorgeous but he looks Siberian Husky to me not Malamute. How old is he in that pic and how much does he weigh now?

angeldogs
October 22nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
He's handsome.good luck and welcome.

jane.louise2269
October 23rd, 2006, 06:14 AM
Hi guys,

Can i start off saying i am so sorry about the other thread i put up, i am new to this forum thing. Just ignore it...........Sorry!!!

Max was 31kg when i got him and now he's 37.9kg. The vet said he would be happy to see Max at 40kg and thats still under weight for a malamute. I want to build him up slowely so he keeps it on, but i would like to see him at 45kg as he is a very big dog, twice the size of a husky, but i think the pic i have put up is decieving.Will put up some more pics for you all!!!
Yes, i think your all right! It's going to take patience. Max is a fast learner from what i have seen already, he has learnt the leave command,sit, down command, heel command and is learning the stay command very well. I think he is a highly strung dog simply from the way his last owners have treated him,(it makes me so angry at people like that).They should be stopped from owning pets.
Anyway, i will keep you posted on Max's progress and post up some more pics of him. Thanks again everbody.......and sorry for the other thread !!!!!!:sorry:

BTW; He's thin in this pic, i hadn't long got him !

rainbow
October 25th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Yes, he is a big boy in that pic. :D I'm glad that he has found the loving forever home he deserves. Looking forward to your future posts and pics. :dog: